Author Topic: Civility  (Read 8790 times)

Offline John Washburn CLC 1067

• Call me on my shoe phone 303+885-3545
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #1067
Civility
« on: March 15, 2008, 05:29:57 PM »
I was wondering if we could add a page, password protected possibly, where civility, political correctness, and being nice to one another is not a requirement.

As I get older I find that civility as a trait fails to excite me. Words like stupid, dummy, and general cuss words are used on a daily basis and when used correctly get the job done.

I think emotion gets the blood moving and makes a lot of e-mail conversations lots more interesting.

I could blatter about this issue for hours, but won't.

Oh, and trust me, I generally know when someone is calling me a dummy, but not using the word dummy. This is especially true when I deserve it.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Offline Stampie

• Name: M. Stamps
Re: Civility
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 06:27:49 PM »
John the Modified Chapter tends not to be as PC.

Stampie

PS - Thanks again for lunch and let me know when you are in town again as I owe you now.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 06:49:19 PM by Michael Stamps »
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

Johnny F #662

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 04:08:13 PM »
Just when i thought it was safe to enter the message board, the topic of civility comes up again.

Johnny F #662

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 08:56:45 PM »
John the Modified Chapter tends not to be as PC.

Actually Mike,
The Modified Chapter takes no prisoners when it comes to "PC". Here's a quote from the Modified Chapter Forum rules,

You WILL respect all others no matter who they are, or what your beef is with them. No name calling, no sexual innuendos, the language will be kept so that a 5 year old can read it. This board has gotten out of hand and people are leaving left and right. The administrators will meet to discuss the ramifications of violators, from suspension to your position being deleted and banned from the board.

Whew! Those Mod guys don't mess around :D

Lou

Isn't there a name for organizations that are that dictatorial?

Offline The Tassie Devil(le)

• Administrator
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #18992
  • Name: Bruce Reynolds
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 10:05:05 PM »
There is, but the Modified Chapter isn't at all Dictatorial.

We just like everyone to be mindful of all others, to be treated as you would like to be treated yourself, and if that is taken as being Dictatorial, then maybe we are.

But, we are mindful of the fact that anyone with some form of Computer Access, can access our Forum and therefore, there are basic standards that need to be maintained.

Bruce. >:D
MCLC President.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline John Washburn CLC 1067

• Call me on my shoe phone 303+885-3545
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #1067
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 11:33:46 PM »
Bruce,

I don't disagree. Part of my rant was in jest.

Part was in response to the lack of humor on the message board.

The last was to civility. If I say you don't know crap about quadrajets (which is not true), or suggest your analysis of the problem I presented to you about quadrajets is inheriently incorrect, same meaning. You my friend would grasp the same meaning from either statement. So does being ciivil make one feel better?

Bruce, I would like to see a nice balance between humor and making a point. I don't think civility is the correct word. Emotion is good. Some of the better threads, whatever you think about the issues, have been emotional (like the issue on oil/zddp).

Don't try to use logic or good sense on me or I'll bring tools and come visiit.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Offline The Tassie Devil(le)

• Administrator
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #18992
  • Name: Bruce Reynolds
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 12:50:45 AM »
Bruce,    I don't disagree. Part of my rant was in jest.
Part was in response to the lack of humor on the message board.
Actually, I am not in favour of the emoticons, unless it is the "Devil" one I use to sign off with.

The last was to civility. If I say you don't know crap about quadrajets (which is not true), or suggest your analysis of the problem I presented to you about quadrajets is inheriently incorrect, same meaning. You my friend would grasp the same meaning from either statement. So does being ciivil make one feel better?
I am all for being "Civil" but there are sometimes when things go too far, and get out into the "Just plain rude and disrespectful" category" then these are a really black area and will get deleted, but at least the Administrators will be courteous and remind the offender via a personal email.

One of the problems is that with the internet websites, it is difficult to get the inflections across.   Like, I am a "Bastard", and you are a "Bastard", but am I calling myself a right-proper down and out rotten "Bastard", and you a friendly "Bastard" as another Aussie would be calling a friend a "Bastard" in a really nice way.   I called someone a "" one day, and it took 15 minutes on the phone to tell that person that I was actually being "nice" to them.

Bruce, I would like to see a nice balance between humor and making a point. I don't think civility is the correct word. Emotion is good. Some of the better threads, whatever you think about the issues, have been emotional (like the issue on oil/zddp).
Don't try to use logic or good sense on me or I'll bring tools and come visiit.
Please bring your tools over any time you like, and don't forget to put them in the "checked-in" luggage, as it would be really nice to have you come visit.   Take them on as "hand luggage", and you wouldn't even get onto the plane.

Might get some stuff done that I have been putting off.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Johnny F #662

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 08:01:16 AM »

We just like everyone to be mindful of all others, to be treated as you would like to be treated yourself,

MCLC President.

There is a major flaw in that logic.  Everyone has a different level of skin toughness, and sense of what is being what might be considered "out of bounds".  The way I see it, most, if not all of us have a natural way of judging things by our own personal standards.  This, combined with some individuals "Holier then Thou" attitude,  is what creates all the dissension and problems on message boards.

Offline StevenTuck

• CLC Member # 16507
  • Name: Steven M. Tuck
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 08:29:36 AM »
There was a study conducted on communication. The study revealed that over 90% of communication involves body language. Another aspect to communication is inflection of our voices and facial expressions. Communication through the internet, i.e. this forum, removes all these forms of communication. Therefore, interpretation is soley based on what is written. This reinforces the need for civility since we cannot hear the person, see the person or many times don't know the person who is communicating.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:26:07 PM by StevenTuck »
1962 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
http://bit.ly/1NfPNHE
Car Show Signs and Car Photo Books
http://carshowsigns.net/

Offline Glen

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #727
  • Name: Glen Houlton
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 12:31:14 AM »
The flaw in the real name rule is that there are probably millions of forums out there that run just fine without the real name rule.  The key is actually in the moderators and how much they put up with before they ban a miscreant.  Of course they warn and suspend before they ban. 

Other forums I have been in are pretty mellow but they do have their bad guys and they do get booted off the forum because the mods do their job. 

The big problem with the real name rule is it has caused a number of good people to bail out,  a big loss to the forum, and I canít say that it has kept the forum any safer. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104