News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 lasalle any condition

Started by Greg Mouton, April 08, 2008, 11:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Mouton

I am trying to get a car together and I need front fenders and hood and a trunk handle  and a Grill    I  will accept parts that I need in any condition !  your junk may be my treasure so if you guys have any leftover parts or damaged parts I am intrested please email me or call me at 1-783-9177 or toll free at 1-877-715-2768

Greg Mouton

Joe McCormick

Hello Greg,  I have a completely restored, re chromed,  polished,  fabulous condition, 1939 LaSalle grill.  This is for sale until April 15th (Tax deadlline date for paying Uncle Sam) for a fraction of my investment.  Price is $850.00 plus packaging and shipping.  On the underside, it measures 30 and 1/2 inches from bottom to top.  I have four photos of it, three of the front and one of the underside which I will be glad to email to you but would need your email address.  If you are not interested  (seems like you are looking for junk parts), I would be interested in hearing from any other club member who may require a restored grill.  Joe

Greg Mouton

That grill is beautifull and way too nice for my car I think it is probably worth more than my whole car  LOL  , I thank you very much   hopefully someone with a nice car will see it and get it for their car and sell me their old one with a couple of ribs broken I wont mind a little damage if it will fill in the gaping hole in the front end LOL

Greg Mouton 1-337 783 9177

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote from: Joe McCormick on April 09, 2008, 07:00:33 PM
Hello Greg,  I have a completely restored, re chromed,  polished,  fabulous condition, 1939 LaSalle grill.  This is for sale until April 15th (Tax deadlline date for paying Uncle Sam) for a fraction of my investment.  Price is $850.00 plus packaging and shipping.  On the underside, it measures 30 and 1/2 inches from bottom to top.  I have four photos of it, three of the front and one of the underside which I will be glad to email to you but would need your email address.  If you are not interested  (seems like you are looking for junk parts), I would be interested in hearing from any other club member who may require a restored grill.  Joe

Sorry Joe - but the grille that you pictured is not from a 1939 LaSalle.  The 1939 LaSalle grille has many more ribs than yours (over 90 ribs).  Your grille is similar, but not for a 1939.  I am thinking that it is probably from a 1940 LaSalle.  Attached is a picture taken last summer of a 1940 LaSalle Convertible, which looks like your grille.

The second picture shows the grille from my 1939 LaSalle taken last summer, prior to my current restoration.

Greg - Good thing you didn't buy this grille.  Although it sure looks great, would not have worked for your car.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Bill Gauch #23121

Wow, you're really looking for junk? Most people look for junk when they don't have other options. If you are just trying to fill in the hole, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just make something. If you can weld, you could make something really nice. Even if you can't, you could probably still make something decent looking with stuff you find at the hardware store.

You're always better off (time, cost, effort, etc.) buying the best condition whatever than a bad condition whatever that you have to restore. The only way your car will ever get to a higher value is if you install quality restored parts and put in some money. If price is really an issue, just run without while you save. I know too well how hard it is to work towards a nice car with no money. I have a 1-year old and a non-running '38 that I am working on. I'm about to deplete my car fund by buying an air compressor. After that, it will be months before I can afford more parts.
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

Joe McCormick

Hello Fred Z.  Thanks for telling the entire Cadillac/LaSalle community that my restored grill is not a 1939, but a 1940.  Do you know what you are talking about?  I have owned two 1940 LaSalle Convertibles, both Series 52, the current one being a convertible sedan.   Both my 1940 LaSalle grills were two pieces, and I have attached a photo of my advertised 1939 LaSalle grill, next to the grill from my 1940 LaSalle Convt. Sedan, Series 52.  The '39 grill has 54 bars, the '40 grill has 48 bars for the lower grill, and 6 bars for the smaller piece that is attached to the hood when it is opened.  They both measure the same when the '40 is held close to the lower section.  The only possibility that you are correct is if, the 1940 LaSalle, Series 50, had a different one piece grill, than the Series 52, which is two pieces, which I doubt.   I would appreciate your comments.  Joe

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote from: Joe McCormick on April 11, 2008, 09:35:05 PM
Hello Fred Z.  Thanks for telling the entire Cadillac/LaSalle community that my restored grill is not a 1939, but a 1940.  Do you know what you are talking about?  I have owned two 1940 LaSalle Convertibles, both Series 52, the current one being a convertible sedan.   Both my 1940 LaSalle grills were two pieces, and I have attached a photo of my advertised 1939 LaSalle grill, next to the grill from my 1940 LaSalle Convt. Sedan, Series 52.  The '39 grill has 54 bars, the '40 grill has 48 bars for the lower grill, and 6 bars for the smaller piece that is attached to the hood when it is opened.  They both measure the same when the '40 is held close to the lower section.  The only possibility that you are correct is if, the 1940 LaSalle, Series 50, had a different one piece grill, than the Series 52, which is two pieces, which I doubt.   I would appreciate your comments.  Joe

Joe, In my statement I said that the grille pictured was probably from a 1940 LaSalle (emphasis on probably).  However, I still feel certain that the grille pictured in your post is NOT a 1939 LaSalle grille.  I have owned three 1939 LaSalles and have also owned 5 additional grilles (total 8 and all 1939 LaSalle grilles have been the same, exactly as pictured on my car.  My car is at home now and I am attaching two more photos of the grille in a closeup view. I just counted and my grille has exactly 97 ribs, plus one very short rib that is part of the bottom (not even close to 54 bars as your grille).  I also just checked "La-Salle Cadillac's Companion Car" in the 1939 LaSalle section and there are many 1939 LaSalles pictured - all with the same grille that I have.  In the 1940 section there are many grilles pictured, but it cannot be determined if all are either one-piece or two-piece.  I do agree that the picture shown of your 1940 LaSalle 2 piece grille in your latest post is correct as I have seen such 2-piece grilles on several 1940 LaSalles.

I do not know about the 1940 LaSalle grilles, so cannot comment on whether or not they ever used a one-piece grille with 54 ribs, depending on the model.  Perhaps other 1939 LaSalle owners can verify that my grille is correct and also hopefully others can determine what car your grille fits.  It sure looks like a LaSalle grille, but is not the same as any 1939 LaSalle that I have ever seen or owned due to the difference in rib count.  You can do a Google search for 1939 LaSalle and I feel sure that you will find that I am correct, unless I am missing something.  I don't have all the answers, so am no longer going to voice an opinion on what your grille fits except to say that it is not a correct 1939 LaSalle grille.  It is to your advantage to determine exactly what this grille fits, as it is beautiful and well worth the asking price (chrome plating of an existing grille would probably cost more than $850).  Once you determine what the grille fits, you can advertise it correctly and help out a fellow restorer.  I am very much interested in finding out what your one-piece grille fits and I certainly did not post inaccurate information to the best of my knowledge.  I hope that someone comes up with an answer.  Where did the grille originally come from?  That might help identify it.

Fred

Bob Hoffmann

ALL 40 grilles are 2 piece with different grille sizes for the 50 & 52 series. I think that grille may be one of the aftermarket grilles made for various cars in the late 30's & early 40's. I had a 38 Olds & a think a 40 Cad center. They were usually not plated & seamed to be lighter than OEM. The reason for less bars would be for easier casting but still look close to the original grille. HTH, Bob

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann on April 12, 2008, 01:27:57 AM
ALL 40 grilles are 2 piece with different grille sizes for the 50 & 52 series. I think that grille may be one of the aftermarket grilles made for various cars in the late 30's & early 40's. I had a 38 Olds & a think a 40 Cad center. They were usually not plated & seamed to be lighter than OEM. The reason for less bars would be for easier casting but still look close to the original grille. HTH, Bob

Bob - Thanks for your support on this.  Your ideas coincide with my limited knowledge of 1940 LaSalle grilles, of which I posted a picture in my first reply to Joe's post. The thought crossed my mind about an aftermarket grille, but I was unaware that aftermarket grilles were made for a LaSalle.  I have seen them for Fords, but never for a LaSalle. Joe's grille looked so good that I thought perhaps I was missing something.  I did (and still do) feel certain that his grille is not an original grille for a 1939 LaSalle and anyone purchasing such a grille would be greatly disappointed if originality was a factor.  Also size would be even more  important, as if someone wanted to retrofit this grille to either a 1939 or 1940 LaSalle, they would want to take very careful measurements in advance to be sure it would bolt into position. 

Joe - I was just trying to clarify what I perceived to be an honest error on the description of your grille.  Had a 1939 LaSalle owner purchased this grille, he would have been greatly disappointed after finding it to be non-original, and you would have been in a dispute with the buyer upon receipt of the grille.  Maybe others on this forum will come up with other theories and I am in hopes that they will post their ideas.  One of the main purposes of this forum is to interchange ideas and to help other members, and honest errors will often occur when researching vehicles that are almost 70 years old. In the meantime, count the ribs in the attached picture of my very original 1939 LaSalle and let me know if you still feel your grille is the right one for this car.

Fred

Joe McCormick

Hello Fred Z and Bob H.  Thank you for your discussion on the 1939 and 1940(s) grills.  My humble apologies.  I am eating humble pie.  I was not aware that my one piece, look alike '40 LaSalle lgrill, could possibly be an after market fits-all type of grill.  I should have checked my book on "LaSalle, Cadillac's Companion Car" first.  But, I thought all '40 LaSalle grills were 2 pieces, hence a '39 LaSalle grill had to be one piece.  Had I known this was an "after market" type grill, I would not have put $$$ in getting it restored.  Live and Learn. Thanks for your frank and open discussion on this subject.  Joe

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote from: Joe McCormick on April 12, 2008, 02:34:50 PM
Hello Fred Z and Bob H.  Thank you for your discussion on the 1939 and 1940(s) grills.  My humble apologies.  I am eating humble pie.  I was not aware that my one piece, look alike '40 LaSalle lgrill, could possibly be an after market fits-all type of grill.  I should have checked my book on "LaSalle, Cadillac's Companion Car" first.  But, I thought all '40 LaSalle grills were 2 pieces, hence a '39 LaSalle grill had to be one piece.  Had I known this was an "after market" type grill, I would not have put $$$ in getting it restored.  Live and Learn. Thanks for your frank and open discussion on this subject.  Joe

;) Apologies accepted Joe.    Fred

Greg Mouton

Hey you guys I am glad to see we have worked out the kinks on this grill issue , I still stick by my original statement   " it would look great on my car " infact I think  people on the side walk as they watched me drive by  they would say "hey did you see that grill go by "?

Greg Mouton

Greg Mouton

JUNK 

someone asked if thats what, and I am not sure how to take the question , but to answer it ,   my budget is small and because of the car that I have and because most often a part that may not meet someones requirements for a good restoration , can often times be very nice at a glance ,and so if someone has parts that they have left over I think it might be good enough for me and my car , some of you guys have cars that are so beautifull it is unbelievable ,and my car is no where near comparible in looks but it belonged to my dad and he drove it as a young kid and finaly bought it as an adult and then restored it in 1970  then it fell into disrepair then he passed away and I have owned it since I was not much more than a kid me and my wife spent our first evening in that car , some of you might laugh at my car and some of you would give up your nice car to have the kind of memories mine carries   I have been told that what I have may even be considered a rat rod, and maybe a few rats have lived in my dads old car and some may call it junk    , But I call it neither it is very valuable to me and someone stole my grill and other parts off of it after a hurricane down here in louisiana and I am sure they hauled all of it to the scrap yard and got nothing for it  so I am trying to fix it up the best way I know how ,soif anyone has  something that is useable I will not insult the person offering it by saying it is not good enough

Very humbly yours
Greg Mouton

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Joe, all is not lost. Some stock 39 owner may like it just to be different. There are also the custom guys who may love it. As long as you make it clear what it is, no one should have a problem. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Joe McCormick

Hello Bob Hoffman,  Thanks for your latest comment.  One very strange observation I have made since this discussion began is the fact that, if the top section of the grill, i.e., from the top - down between the fourth and fifth bars, could be cut off some how or separated from the lower section, it could be used for a '40 LaSalle.  It is identical in length, width, number of bars, and screw holes, as my '40 LaSalle 2 piece grill.  (See photos of the two grills together which I posted earlier).  Have you had an experience doing something like this, or is this an impossibility?   Joe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: Joe McCormick on April 13, 2008, 09:47:21 PM
Hello Bob Hoffman,  Thanks for your latest comment.  One very strange observation I have made since this discussion began is the fact that, if the top section of the grill, i.e., from the top - down between the fourth and fifth bars, could be cut off some how or separated from the lower section, it could be used for a '40 LaSalle.  It is identical in length, width, number of bars, and screw holes, as my '40 LaSalle 2 piece grill.  (See photos of the two grills together which I posted earlier).  Have you had an experience doing something like this, or is this an impossibility?   Joe

OK Joe, now you ARE asking for the impossible! LOL. You could sell it not cut to a 40 owner as the ultimate hood lock but... I stand by my original suggestion of where to sell it. If it wasn't already plated separating it might be an option.  HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.