News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Help - Source for Carb Gasket

Started by mjdonnelly68, April 15, 2008, 05:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjdonnelly68

Good evening folks.

I need some help sourcing a gasket for the carter carb on my 1965 429.  I'm leaking fuel (noticably) from the back right side of my carb, and I'd like to replace just the bottom gasket (where the carb screws onto the engine).  I had the card rebuilt last year, so the rest of the gaskets are good.  The base gasket was reused.

Any suggestions on a source for the gasket would be greatly appreciated.  It's getting nice here in the great northeast!

Mike
Mike

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Mike,

Call this company; Daytona Auto Parts. They are the largest manufacturer of carburetor rebuild kits in the US - perhaps the world. Most of the kits you purchase from other sources are put together by this company. They make kits for virtually every automotive carburetor made since 1900.

386-427-7108
ask for Ron Hewitt or Tim Hewitt

mail@daytonaparts.com

www.daytonaparts.com

Forrest
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Otto Skorzeny

Hi again,

I forgot to mention that Daytona Parts was able to acquire Carter's entire archive of blueprints, diagrams, etc. when the company went bankrupt. They have this information going back to the formation of Carter in 1899 or whenever. I will be very surprised if they can't help you.

FLW
fward

Porter

Parts USA has the bake-a-lite spacer.

Napa likely has the mounting gasket ( I think I bought a few of them from Napa) or you can buy their cheapo rebuild kit with the gaskets.

John Washburn turned me on to the Carburetor Shop in St. Louis, got a kit from them with new metering jets and metering rods too.

Rebuilt my 66 Carter carb and the 429 runs great.

Porter

mjdonnelly68

Forrest/Porter.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I called Dayton Parts company and they had just what I needed (and were great to work with).  They didn't have the bakelite spacer (and said it was hard to come by) so I'm going to pick one up at parts USA.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike
Mike

Otto Skorzeny

Great Mike! I'm glad to hear they were able to help you. I happened to be in New Smyrna Beach a few years ago when my bakelite choke cover (with spring and linkage, etc.) crumbled to pieces on my '56 Coupe de Ville.

When I asked at a local diner where I might be able to find an old style  (non chain) auto parts store, they turned me on to Daytona Parts. Amazingly they turned out to be less than 1 mile from where I was staying. Ron knew exactly the carburetor and part I was talking about over the phone and I picked one up from him for about $10.

He gave me a tour of his whole place and showed me the incredible archive of source material they have. I was truly impressed.

Good luck with your repair.

Forrest
fward