News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 Coupe de Ville restoration

Started by John Maglia CLC#23063, October 25, 2010, 08:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Maglia CLC#23063

I always loved these cars since their introduction in 57. I was 13 at the time and dreamed of someday owning one. 50 years later I finally bought one from a dealer in Florida. Unfortunately age did not make me smarter and I bought the car without inspecting it. As a result I paid a number 2+ price for a number 3 car. So now what do I do. I could keep the car and forever be embarrassed by the under-hood rattle can paint job, weathered chrome and paint and years of grease build-up, or sell it. Well as I said before, not being any smarter I decided to keep it and do a cosmetic restoration. Well here it is 5 years later (smarter and poorer) I'm still working on the restoration. What I forgot to factor in to the decision to do a cosmetic restoration is that I can't do anything half way. I first thought that I could get away with a fresh paint job. It came out beautiful. Well, how could I put that old weathered chrome back on the car; it just wouldn't be right. And if I did the chrome over, how could I show the car with the engine compartment looking the way it is? And with the grill and front bumper off the car, wouldn't it be easy to remove the fenders and hood so I could reach back to the firewall more easily? Well it didn't stop there. I removed every component from the engine compartment and had them rebuilt, re-cored, or re-manufactured, you name it I re-did it, even the round to square A/C duct that goes from the A/C blower motor to the evaporator (those of you who have recently bought one on eBay can thank me for this initiative). Well I am happy to report that I am heading down the home stretch. I figure that by June, she will be ready for her first show. Now that may sound like a long time for some of you but what you need to realize it that this is my first attempt to restore a car and I wanted every nut and bolt to go back where it came from; a lot of double checking. I also live in a condo with limited work space.

I've attached a few pics. I've advanced some since these were taken last month and I'll try to send updates as time goes on.

Hope I didn't bore you.

Regards to all and thanks to everyone in the CLC who has helped me on my journey.   
John Maglia

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

On the contrary, John, enjoyed the story.  Many of us have "been there and done that".

Once starting a restoration, there is no easy place to stop!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

57flw

Hi John,

I also enjoyed your story. Keep up the good work and the photo's. I need all the help I can get to work out what goes where.

Your Quote   

"even the round to square A/C duct that goes from the A/C blower motor to the evaporator (those of you who have recently bought one on eBay can thank me for this initiative)." must have had me in mind. I am one of those people.

Ken
Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood