News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 6049 series

Started by Paul Tesone, March 27, 2011, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

Thanks Fred - I'll have to get back to you about the sound deadening material . My upholsterers ordered it and I'll find out from where . Went for a "fitting" today . The front seat is stationary , so the upholsterers wanted to be sure I was comfortable in the seat before they started to apply any leather . In spite of some recent weight loss , I was still a little too close to the steering wheel ; so they plan to take about an inch of foam off the seat back . A final "fitting" is scheduled in two days . But I did get to see a try-in of one of the rear seat quarter panels . Wood pieces lining the top well are to be clad in vinyl .

Paul Tesone

Sorry - forgot to sign my last post . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

harry s

Paul, Looks great. Fred, I am in the process of insulating the interior of a Mack truck I am restoring with Dynamat. It works great and is easy to fit and install. It comes in different sizes. Check Summit:  http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=Dynamic%20Control%20Dynamat%20Xtreme%20Sound%20Deadening%20Liners&dds=1.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Fred Pennington 25635

I am trying to stay as original as possible. The black waffle pattern on this car looks like what in need

Thanks
Fred P.
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Paul Tesone

Fred - the brand name of the material they used is STP. The specific STP product that was used is called " Black Magic " . On the box was printed www.STP-distribution.com . Hope that helps you . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876 .

Fred Pennington 25635

Thanks, I am looking into it now.

BTW, The red leather looks great.

Fred P.
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Paul Tesone

Progress photos - Plastic template transferred from foam to leather , back seat almost complete , first door panel .....  Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Decided to line the convertible well with leather instead of vinyl ; roof rails waiting for Hartz top . .... Paul Tesone CLC # 6876 .

Paul Tesone

Leather progress .... Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Earlier I said the door panels were going to have a luan backing . This was not correct . Luan was used for the preliminary template . A firmer , thicker wood was used for the final panel backing . Front door panels to go in tomorrow . Paul Tesone ..CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Harry & Fred - thanks for taking the time torespond to my posts . ...Paul Tesone CLC#6876

Paul Tesone

I went to pick out a seat belt style & color today and was pleasantly surprised to see how much had been accomplished since yesterday . The guys even polished the door panel hardware and replaced them , angled in the same direction . I never would have thought to do that myself . Front seat , robe cord and back seat arm rest will  get done next . Then the rugs , top and trunk . I feel very fortunate to have found these upholsterers . They have been working very hard , don't take shortcuts and are always concerned with details . Paul Tesone ...CLC #6876

tony m

Paul,

I also have a 1937 6049 Cadillac also that has been reworked.  Your car looks very nice and I commend your work.  I also make a very good pork based pasta sauce for Sunday meal.  I wish you luck and health, and also to your family.

Regards,
Tony Menendez

tony m

Paul,

Good looking 6049 Cadillac referred to as a "Banker's Hot Rod".  I wish you luck with your car, I also have the same model.

Go Miami Dolphins.

Regards,
Tony Menendez

tony m

Paul,

Sorry for the repeat on my post, still a good looking car.

Regards,
Tony

Paul Tesone

Thanks Tony - I love pork based pasta sauce . You might get a knock on your door some Sunday when the Pats are playing the Dolphins . ... Progress on the car continues . Seat belts are in , robe cord wrapped , rear seat arm rest is in , front seat finished . Defects in wooden top bows to be repaired with wood filler and loose joints re-glued . Concavities in the trunk and passenger floor pans were filled in with padding strips so the carpet won't get deformed . Trunk and rug should be finished soon . Then the top .

Paul Tesone

Sorry - forgot to sign my last post . ... Paul Tesone CLC #6876

tony m

Paul.

Your car is a beautiful example of the 6049, the work on the car has thus far been done to a high standard.

I personally feel the 1937 6049 has one of the best designs for the Cadillac models, the front grille

and rear end are of excellent taste. 

I must mention that the performance of the 6049 is probably the fastest car Cadillac had in the 30's.  We in this forum do not speak often of speed and handling but this car has got it.  Keep us posted on your progress with the balance of the restoration, car looks damn good. 

Regards,
Tony Menendez

Paul Tesone

Tony - Today , I went by to see how things were progressing . The carpeting is done , the wooden top bows and other wooden parts of the top mechanism have been wrapped in bodrill fabric, and the top is going on . I hope to have some final pictures shortly . I don't know about speed , but the car does seem to handle well . It is certainly easier to drive than my 47 convertible - especially when it comes to turning the wheels in a stationary position . Thanks for your kind comments . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

52Cadillac

Wow is all that comes to mind. That is one cool car. Great colors Paul.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)