News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Restoration progress pictures. 75 Eldo

Started by Doug Spingelt, April 08, 2011, 01:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Spingelt

We took our 75 Eldorado in for paind and I thought I would start posting the progress in photos.  I am getting excited to ahve it back in about a week. 
Doug Spingelt

Doug Spingelt

Looks I get three pics per post. I get to go back Saturday again too for the primer and first sanding.  I added another $150.00 to the total for additinal dent removel that wasn't noticed previoulsy.  Price is now estimated at $2400.00.  still cheap if it looks amazing.  I'll keep you all posted.  It is a learning experience.  On Monday or Tuesday I can see first paint coat.  Yeah! 
Doug Spingelt

Doug Spingelt

Here are some more interim pics. it is supposed to be complete on Friday.  Very exciting week.  all the dents are removed, the rust is fixed and the fender fillers are in.  I left the shop with a body guy swearing at the bumpers, which seem to be a buggar to align.  I think tomorrow will be sanding. 
Doug Spingelt

Antoni Deighton

Wow, you can't be in California! But seriously, if you can get a good paint job for $2400 then it might almost be worth shipping a car your way for paint. I'm about to get quotes to get my '67 Eldo painted, and even though it's being repainted the original color (so no need to remove interior, doors etc) I already know quotes are going to start at $4K and go on up from there...
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

Doug Spingelt

I think the work is turing out pretty good.  I'll keep it posted as to the quality.  here are some additional pics. 
Doug Spingelt

Doug Spingelt

new pics from today supposedly reary in 2 days...  rust gone and car primed.  hubcaps will be painted as well.
Doug Spingelt

Dennis DiNorcia

Just my opinion but why would you not remove as much of the chrome and trim as possible before going for an expensive pain job? I see the door handles, headlights, bumpers, cornering lights, mirrors etc. still on the car. When I had my 76 Conv done, I practically drove it there as a shell with nothing on it. I had someone follow me the two miles I drove to the shop because I did not even have the taillights on. I just think you get a better job when you can paint as much under neath the accessories as possible. Like I said, just my opinion.

DaveW

Dennis,

Have to agree with you that you would get a better paint job by removing all of the trim, however, the original poster did not say he was getting an "expensive" paint job.  Everything is relative.  I would not expect the same amount of detail from a $2,400 paint job as compared to a $10-15,000 paint job.  Hourly rate can add up pretty quick when you are paying someone else to do the work.  Original poster may not feel capable or have the spare time to remove all of the trim himself?  Car will probably look very nice unless someone wants to put it under the "maginfying glass".  The amount of time and money to invest depends on what the ultimate goal is.  I think it is great that he has taken care of the rust, which should extend the life of the body, keeping another nice Cadillac on the road.

Dave
David Whittaker
CLC #20768

1957 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1958 Cadillac Series 70 Fleetwood Eldorado Brougham
1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Doug Spingelt

Everything is a compromise with time and money.  Door handles and mirrors are staying on but everything else is off or being removed.  the shops approach is a bit scattered for my liking, but I am going in almost daily to see it and check it out.  Wetsanding and paint today.  then reassemble and delivery tomorrow... I hope.  We are registered and scheduled in an antique car rallye at the tulip festival on Saturday!!!  this car will never be a show car, but it will amazing still i think. 
Doug Spingelt

Doug Spingelt

fresh from the oven.  Literally 5 minutes.  Should be ready for delivery tonight or tomorrow morning.  And, it isn't raining...
Doug Spingelt

DaveW

Doug,

Looking good, like new money.  What a difference a paint job can make!

Did the painter give you any advice on how long to wait before rubbing some wax over the paint?

Dave
David Whittaker
CLC #20768

1957 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1958 Cadillac Series 70 Fleetwood Eldorado Brougham
1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Doug Spingelt

Just got the trim completed and getting its first wash. 
Doug Spingelt

Doug Spingelt

just finished a 200+ mile classic car rallye on Saturday and she ran like a top!  no mechanical issues.  I did loose a hubcap (I recovered it with minimal damage) and swapped out the spare wheel for the bent/deformed one on the car and that solved that falling off issue.  She cruised nicely at 80-85 MPH the way there and back.   

It looks amazing and got alot of nice comments, and we were lucky to have the hottest day of the year of 66 degrees for the event driving through tulip fields.  car goes back in the shop for some additional trim work and a few paint detail issues that are very minor.  Ultimately I think they did an amazing job abd the car looks better than I ever hoped or thought it would. I am still nervious driving it as it is too pretty. 

I'll post some additional pictures soon, especailly after the seats get redyed/repaired and the carpet replaced. 
Doug Spingelt

R Schroeder

Looks very nice Doug. Looks like they did a nice job.

Rich S

Doug, I'm impressed!!! It looks like a true "beauty" and I hope you continue to enjoy your Eldorado in safety and trouble-free! Your car is the envy of most of your fellow motorists in traffic!  ;D
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

J

just wondering how your paint job is holding up?
Cadillac got me!!!

Doug Spingelt

holding up great, but it has also been in storage all winter.  We just picked it up this weekend and took it in for a few issues; carb rebuild, and exhaust leak repair.  fun stuff.  I am going to restore the iterior some this summer too with new carpet and leather.  I'll post pictures when it comes to that on this post to keep it all contained as one journey. 
Doug Spingelt

Doug Spingelt

Dave W, no advice on waxing, but it is stored in a garage.  I may wax it this summer, Paint a year old now.  I like mcguires usually. 

Update on my minor fixes... had to remove head to get bolts out for exhaust.  discovered 4 block cracks!  had to scrap motor.  I was lucky to find a local 1974 fleetwood limo that a guy was parting out.  bought the whole thing for the engine for $450.00.  had it towed to the shop.  turned out it was a 472 rebuilt to a 501 spec and recently rebuilt top to bottom.  the mechanic said the new engine is as good as new even though its been sitting for many yeard not driven.  we replaced all the gaskets and hoses, repainted it, stuck in the the car and it runs like new.  I am out 5K for this, but this is a labor of love.  :-)  I'll post a few pictures in a bit.  this weekend ended up being the first successful drive of the season. 

so interior will have to wait for another day...  year. 
Doug Spingelt

Richardonly

Doug,

Just read and saw your posting/blog for the 1st time and must say that the car's paint came out beautiful.

So sad to hear about your engine.  What caused it?

As a few friends of mine have said, as they have owned older cars also, "Just when you think you have everything fixed, something new will break."

Sadly ( sometimes it gives you something to tinker with.) it has proven to be true.  It just stinks when it is an expensive fix.

Best of luck and mosly "ENJOY!!!!!"

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle