News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 COUPE STALLS WHEN HOT

Started by FATSOSCADDY, June 28, 2011, 07:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FATSOSCADDY

1960 COUPE STALLS WHEN HOT WON'T RESTART TILL COLD.......

. I HAVE A 1960 CADILLAC COUPE DEVILLE  ...  it starts cold perfectly ..... runs great ... then  ... and this is just some DAYS ........ it will as it is warming up ..  will start to seem as if its low on fuel at stop lights  .. then eventually stall ...ill be able a few times to just pump the gas and start it back up ... but about the 3 of 4th time  ... it wont start .. and will have no spark it seems -or  not getting fuel ..   and even if i put gas straight into the carb - nothing ... nothing at all .. just crank over till  battery IS dead
60VILLN

cadman59

If you still have the original ignition coil, it could be that's the problem.
At least it was with my '59.
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

dadscad

Like Cadman59, I had an ignition coil cause similar actions with my 63 CDV. Check the points, condenser and coil.

HTH,
David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Terry Cox #26379

;)one other item to look at is the COIL WIRE itself. i had a car years ago that the coil wire had a break in it that did the exact same thing as you describe. i replaced it and... i was good to go. (same thing happened last year that i fixed on my neighbors harley davidson sportster).
BUT..... i have also expierenced the coil issue as the other men have said more often than the coil wire itself...hope this helps...let us know.....good luck on my favorite finned car :D ;) :) 8) of old.   Terry Cox 26379

57flw

Hope you have managed to sort the problem out.
As already mentioned it could be the coil, points, condenser or coil wire.

I am not sure if you have a Ballast Resister on this year car but the symptoms sounds like this could be the area you need to check.
If you do not have one forget about me and just take notice of the other guys.

Ken
Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood

FATSOSCADDY

WOW .. THANKS FOR ALL THE QUICK REPLYS .... I WILL GET ON IT THIS WEEKEND ,, BEEN OUT OF TOWN SINCE I POSTED ... 

RIGHT ON ..

I ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION THE WORK IVE ALERADY DONE ......... WITCH COULD DEFINATLY HELP YOU GUYS IN HELPING ME  .      ..  .. SO I WILL DO THAT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE .... TODAY .... PROMIS .. GOTT GO BACK TO WORK ...HA.HAAA..   .
[/color][/font][/b]
60VILLN

FATSOSCADDY

ALRIGHT  .....  FINALY GOT A CHANCH TODAY TO CATCH UP A LITTLE AND WRENCH ............   FIRST OF ALL ..JUST WANTED TO AGAIN SAY THANKS FOR ALL THE QUIK REPLYS ... I FORGOT TO METION THAT I HAD ALREADY PUT A AFTERMARKET ELECTRONIC IGNITION CONVERSION KIT  ON  ...   SO I HAVE NO POINTS OR CONDENSER DEALIO .....

YESTERDAY , I GOT A NEW  ''PERTRONIX FLAME THROWER COIL'' AND IM GONNA PUT IT ON THIS MORNING .AND CHECK ALL THE WIRES  FOR CRACKS .OR BREAKAGE ....   ... .

I THINK IM GONNA JUST MONT THE NEW COIL TO THE FIREWALL .. TO GET IT AWAY FROM ALL THE HEAT A LITTLE BIT . .. . 
60VILLN

P Cedergren

ALRIGHT  .....  FINALY GOT A CHANCH TODAY TO CATCH UP A LITTLE AND WRENCH ............   FIRST OF ALL ..JUST WANTED TO AGAIN SAY THANKS FOR ALL THE QUIK REPLYS ... I FORGOT TO METION THAT I HAD ALREADY PUT A AFTERMARKET ELECTRONIC IGNITION CONVERSION KIT  ON  ...   SO I HAVE NO POINTS OR CONDENSER DEALIO .....

YESTERDAY , I GOT A NEW  ''PERTRONIX FLAME THROWER COIL'' AND IM GONNA PUT IT ON THIS MORNING .AND CHECK ALL THE WIRES  FOR CRACKS .OR BREAKAGE ....   ... .

I THINK IM GONNA JUST MONT THE NEW COIL TO THE FIREWALL .. TO GET IT AWAY FROM ALL THE HEAT A LITTLE BIT . .. .

dadscad

On my 63 when I put the Petronix module in the distributor, I ran a full 12 volt switched line to the petronix unit and the Flamethrower coil. When I tried to use the stock resistor ignition power wire my car would barely run.

Check your paperwork to be sure about required power to your aftermarket ignition.

HTH,
David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille