News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

question on 49 engine #s

Started by gangster49vert, September 29, 2011, 12:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gangster49vert

Can someone please tell me the correct engine and transmission numbers that belong in my 1949 convertible ? I am looking to possibly buy a 331 engine and Hydromatic transmission and would like to make sure I get the correct one for this model. One other question does the engine block have the vin # stamped on it as well? I heard from a guy that it did but I need a 2nd opinion thanks for your input ...Gary

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Gary,

The engine #'s and the vin are the same. A 49 Convertible would have an engine/vin # starting with 4962. The rest of the #'s are build sequence #'s. For example, my 53 coupe is 536299844. A 53 model62, being the 99,844th 53 Cadillac built. I can't help you much on the transmission. And yes, the engine block is stamped. See below for the locations. This is for a 53, but the 49 is the same.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Jay Friedman

As stated in the previous posting, the VIN numbers on a '49 are in the same places as on a '53; that is, on the car's right side frame rail and on the engine block on a boss just in front of the right cylinder head.  Your car will already have the number on the frame.  However, if you buy an engine from somewhere it will not, of course, have the same number on the block. 

'49,'50 and '51 motors are the same except for some minor differences in the carburetors, fuel pumps and distributors.

Any '49,'50 or '51 Hydramatic transmission will fit and work on a '49.  The '51 Hydramatic has an improved reverse mechanism, so if you have a choice it would be a bit more desirable. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

gangster49vert

Thank you very much Paul and Jay that was  information was exactly what I was looking for. I have a chance to buy a rebuilt engine and transmission from a guy in San Diego for 1,000 dollars That has never been ran and includes rebuilt starter and generator gasket kit etc. And a few Bonus parts including the infamous Square washer bottle Jar and 2other boxes of parts .I was hoping the engine was going to be the same but I think for the price I still can't beat it.

Jay Friedman

What is the number on the motor which, as I wrote in my previous posting, is on a boss at the front of the block just in front of the right cylinder head?  As stated by PW Allen, the first 2 digits signify the year of the motor and I suggest you make sure it is a '49, '50 or '51 motor. 

The problem is that 1952 and later 331 motors have different cylinder heads and exhaust manifolds than a 49-51 motor and will not readily fit in a '49 car without some modification.  For one thing, the 1952 and later exhaust manifolds are set up for dual exhaust pipes which would mean installing a second exhaust pipe on the left side of a '49.  Also, it is my understanding that the '49 exhaust manifolds set up for a single exhaust pipe will not bolt on to a '52 or later cylinder head.

There is also a unit number or serial number on a number plate on the side of Hydramatic transmissions.  It is usually a 2 digit number signifying the year, followed by a dash and then a sequential serial number.  A '52-'55 Hydramatic will bolt to a '49-'51 motor and will work fine, but it has a different shift quadrant with an additional position.  Whereas a '49-'51 Hydramatic has 4 positions, N, Dr, Lo and R, the later transmission has N, D4, D3 (to hold it in 3rd gear), Lo and R. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

gangster49vert

Jay,Im on the road as we speak to go get a better look at the motor the guy wasn't very helpful over the phone unfortunately good thing is he is about 45 minutes from me. As far as putting an engine in the convertible that doesn't have the correct matching numbers to the car I think would be foolish. I was hoping that the vin # wasn't stamped on the motor so it could be so it could be used good thing is that the original engine  still in the car :-) do
you think that might be a good deal just for resale?

gangster49vert

After looking at the engine in the car using the information that u guys gave to me it seems to have been replaced at one time or another. O well no reason to cry over it I ended up picking up the other motor and transmission from the guy in San diego it looks to be the correct engine for the car so we are moving forward. I have the block # in the attached photo check it out

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.