News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 ELDORADO

Started by djohnson, March 12, 2012, 12:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djohnson

ok, so i did it ........i purchased this Eldo.  doesnt seem to need much (not here yet)   the one thing i would like to do
is convert the front bench to buckets and console.  found the buckets and console from a 1970 but they are in rough shape.

am i crazy or just a hopeless dreamer.  also what do you think this conversion would entail????

also, the original interior is in pretty good shape.

looking forward to hearing your opinions

thanks
Dj

Aaron Hudacky

Congratulations on your 69 Eldorado! I like the color and condition.

I don't think the conversion to buckets would involve much work if you had the seats and console, but I have seen the posting of the 70 you are referring to on Ebay, and because it has been in a flood combined with apparent condition in the photos, I wouldn't use those seats. There is probably decent corrosion on most of the components under the leather, and the console looks pretty rough. Plus, your interior looks great, and green cloth isn't something you see too often in that condition.

If you want buckets, Id keep looking for a batter set.
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

Davidinhartford

Congrats on your purchase!     It will be nice to have another 67-70 Eldo owner with us!

djohnson

I think i will leave well enough alone.  the interior is in great shape and to
disturb what is a great interior is just not right.  i think i will stick with the usual changes and
upgrades. (new Carb, The ac may need some upgrades )

I am also going to change the Hubcaps to the 67-68 style (they look soo much nicer)
Im gonna change the Standing hood ornament back to the factory style (on the hood)
and i am searching (hi & lo) for original rubber floor mats.
Also thinking about stripping the vinyl top & converting her to a slick top (again it looks much nicer)
and the vinyl tops are a water  but originality is the way to go now a days

not sure what that would entail...but if i get her painted i may go that route

Dave, i have been following your resto and cant wait till it gets here to see what she really needs
stay tuned.....

Davidinhartford

I'd keep the vinyl top.  These Eldos wear them very well.   Especially on that colour car.   Although a white top would just as nice.   

I agree with you on the wheel covers.  I don't think the 69-70 covers were a big improvement.   The 67-68 style is much sportier looking.    I like stand up hood ornaments too.    I wish mine had one.  There is nothing nicer than seeing that crest at the end of the hood.   

djohnson

@ Dave.. i like the stand up hood ornament but to keep it original  with the caddy symbol on the front is the way i may have to go (im kind of a purist like that)  i think a previous owner had a bug shield installed and thats why the hood is kinda damaged.

The 67=68 hubcaps is a definate.

and i wont change the color of the vinyl top. if anything im gonna pull it off and sand the top and make it a NON vinyl top car.
it just looks better and cleaner to me.

we will see......still not here not yet.......waiting on the shipper to get her here safely.

cant wait..  will keep u posted..

also here's a pic of the data plate.  cant quite figure out
what the month of manufacture (maybe u guys can help )  i think its a 3 for march of 1969
but cant really tell

dj

Davidinhartford

jagbuxx #12944

Nice unique Eldorado for sure.
The build date on your plate is partially obscured- the "E" denotes the 5th week of the month that is obscured by a piece of grease or something. It would rear 01E for Jan, 12E for December etc.

Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

djohnson

Good Morning

Updates for the 69 ELDO.  The car was in better condition than i expected.   needs a front headlights and a front parking light for the passenger side.  the bumper corner has some rusty scratches (not too bad)  no interior lights work.  radio works but antenna didnt go up so just static.  one window doesnt work and the power locks dont work.  runs suprisingly quiet with a small leak near the manifold. the engine is pretty clean and dry.  needs some love but is in pretty good shape overall.   I covered her up because right now I am too busy to deal with her (tears falling as i type....) but hopefully this weekend i can post some new pictures.  I will be asking alot of questions as i go ....so ..GET READY....

Glen

DJ,

The antenna is not fully automatic. 
To put the antenna up you need to push the tuner knob on the radio in.  To put it down you pull the knob out. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

djohnson

Here is another picture

Davidinhartford

We need a "Like" button.      ;D

djohnson

This car keeps suprising me.  it is good condition.  The Antenna does work with the radio buttons but still just static. Its an AM radio with a seperate FM tuner under the dash.  Not sure what's going on there, but I am glad the Antenna works.   The interior lights appear to be fuse's (headed to Auto palace today) We will see if that  solves that problem.  The windshield wipers were disconnected under the hood. Once i plugged it in i figured out why........THE WINDSHIELD WIPERS ARE CRAZY......once turned on they wouldnt stop..and they would be on high speed (don't know if the button is stuck or what) need some guideance on that one if any one has advice.  The engine runs real strong and the car is wicked quiet...... appears to be the original style exhaust hookup with one small leak near manifold (not bad tho)   I was also suprised with a tissue dispenser under the dash and a Compass in the glove box and a 69 shop manual.....THE BAD......Cracked front parking lens.. some pitting on mirror and taillights..a few spots of rust here and there  and the biggest pain is NO TITLE..... this may be a problem here in Massachusetts  ...not sure yet.    once my mechanic comes by to check it out we will see what else needs attention

gary griffin

There are several ways to solve the no title problem.

For example I can register a car here in Washington with a simple bill of sale but do not get actual title for 3 years.  Other states have similar laws. The waiting period is in case it is discovered that the car is stolen of course.

In some states are no titles for older cars, just registration. For a fee companies like "Mainly Title" based in Maine they will go through the hoops of registering the car in their state in your name and the registration will be recognized in your state as a title because Maine does not register older cars.  It is a little complicated because they have to buy insurance in your name and register the car and then cancel the insurance. I did this on a motorcycle I bought on eBay and as I recall it cost about $300. 

I hope the price you paid considered the no title situation

You can find some companies with Google that provide this service.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Davidinhartford

You should be able to find the front lens on Ebay. 

If I recall correctly, the FM tuner only worked if you had the AM radio set to a particular station.    If you turn off the FM tuner you should be able to dial in some AM stations on the factory radio.     

Where in Mass are you?   I'm in Hartford, CT.

Dave

djohnson

ok, i will check the radio today to see if i can get something.
I Think im gonna go with the 1970 lenses because of the extra
caddy engraving on the front.  If i can find a nice set. 
we will see.  waiting on the mechanic to give it the once over.

also, any guidance on the windshield wipers. ???  the motor is good
and the arms work so it must be something in the switch box that makes
them go nuts everytime you turn them on???

let me know

Im in the New Bedford area "the Gateway to Cape Cod"

djohnson

The interior lights work now with new fuses.  I was able to catch one AM station

this car runs/drives like a Caddy should.  very smooth
excellent pick up and decent stop.

I usually buy these to sell them but this one may be hard to let go

Here are some better pictures with a better camera

djohnson

and one more.  notice the crust around the front  edge of the hood. 
a prior owner had a bug shield that caused that.  that is probably next on the agenda

Davidinhartford

All fixed!   Well, with photoshop.   LOL     Looks great!

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

David:

I have a parts car that I want to sell.  This car is a little rusty.  How much do you charge for your "restoration services"?  (Grin)