News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 ELDORADO

Started by djohnson, March 12, 2012, 12:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidinhartford

@ DJohnson:    I see you found a set of 67-68 wheelcovers.  Nice!

@ Bill Hedge:    No problem Bill, email a photo and I'll photoshop on some more rust for you!   Ha!

djohnson

Wow Dave, you just blew my mind with that one..........
if i keep this car im gonna give my wife your number so
she can stop bitching at me.  (its all Dave's fault that i kept the
car...he photo shopped it ....and i, uh, uhmm... well u get my point)

this car is quickly becoming the "other Woman"

and yes i found the 67-68 hubcaps on
craigs list.   not a perfect set but they'll do for now.  Also
found a NOS front floormat.  but no rear... the hunt continues

gotta find the front lenses (hopefully a good 1970 set)
and a bumper corner.  i still cant believe how quiet she is

also, what do you think about the stand up hood ornament.
not sure that i like it yet...if i cant find the factory set up
it may have to do

Davidinhartford

LOL   Yes, old cars can be just expensive as a mistress!    LOL   But just as much fun.   :)

I like stand up hood ornaments.   I am trying to restrain myself from adding one when I have my hood repainted later.   

I think the eldos look good with or without them.   The design is clean enough that the flush mounted type looks good.  But I do miss seeing one out on the hood from the drivers seat.

I like the 67-68 wheelcovers.   It is funny how the design dates the car.   It is a shame that the 69-70 went to a less sporty looking wheelcover.    But I guess they were moving towards a more Luxury.   

Did you see this one on Ebay with the white letter tires?

Davidinhartford

Here is a post card featuring the 69 Eldorado.   It shows it with the optional radial tires.   The bias ply had the dual stripes.

Aaron Hudacky

David,

That's an interesting photo of the 69 with radials. I have the 70 Cadillac data book, but I don't remember seeing a radial option.  Do you know if this was a one year option until they became available again later?

DJohnson,

I like the factory Cadillac hood emblem location on these cars, but hood ornaments don't look bad on them.  I will never switch my 70 to a stand up ornament, but if you like yours as is, I'd keep it that way. As long as you can't see the same logo twice in the same plane, I think it works.
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

djohnson

Thanks Aaron. it is growing on me. but  i think the factory style makes the car look more sporty.  if i find the right set up i think i may switch it back to the original.  have to find three pieces (the hood spear, the wreath and the crest) 

Also if you have the 1970 data book i was wondering what percentage of 69 eldo's were Rampur Green (the 70 book has the stats for the previous year) im trying to figure out how rare was this color back then.  It may be listed as Glenmore green..not sure.

let me know when you have a chance.   I wish Cadillac had the "marti reports" like Ford

Aaron Hudacky

djohnson,

The data book lists 1970 colors, then lists the quivalent percentage of models made in the closest comparable color offered in 1969 but does not list the 1969 color names.  I don't see Rampur Green listed in the 70 book, but I do remember seeing it on what I think was a post Sedan deVille in the 69 brochure, and Glenmore Green is the closest color I can find to Rampur Green.  According to the 70 Cadillac data book, 4.07% of 69 Eldorados were made in the Glenmore Green equivalent.  Bayberry is another dark green/olive 70 color, and that was on 6.99% of 69 Eldorados, although I'm not sure what the 69 variation of that color was called.  Nottingham Green is the bright firemist option for 70 with no 69 equivalent listed. 

According to the May 1970 issue of Cadillac Serviceman, a color called Lanai Green was added to replace Monarch Burgundy, but I think Lanai Green was comparable to 1969's Palmetto Green, a light silver-green.  No other green hues were listed.  I hope this helps.

Aaron
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

djohnson

Ok Aaron (my brothers name by the way)   Rampur green and glenmore are probably the closest.  both are Dark Forest green type.  i get confused with the data books.  it seems as if the previous years numbers are placed on the new color names.   whatever. just trying to figure out its rarity on the 69 model run.  its definately not bayberry or notingham and you are correct Lanai green is light (sometimes called celery green).  hey that helps for now.   cant find the data book on line (only 1968)

thanks for your help.   again I WISH CADDY HAD THE MARTI REPORT FOR ELDORADO LIKE FORDS.... maybe we can start one.....Hmmmm   might be a good idea....don't think GM has the records like FORD.....but it would be a great idea. and im sure a very profitable one.....

Also what was the rarest color on that list.  I bet it was either Chateau Mauve or Briarwood firemist???? let me know the numbers

thanks

Davidinhartford

I didn't see a Briarwood listed for 69, did you mean Chalice Gold firemist?

Chateau Mauve

and Wisteria

djohnson

Dave,

I think briarwood is a 1970 color. (no 69 equivalent) The Chateau Mauve looks great Without the Vinyl Top.

Based on Aaron's numbers from the Data book  out of the 23.333 Eldo's built in 1969 only 950 were Rampur Green.
(which makes it kinda rare-I guess)   not sure but i think Chateau Mauve or Wisteria were a little "more rare" than that

trying to find the data book on line (not willing to pay $250 bucks for one when the car needs more important things)

Also,  your cars twin brother on sale on EBAY as we speak......yours looks waaaayyyyy better. 

Davidinhartford

Quote from: djohnson on April 23, 2012, 05:53:37 AM
Dave,

your cars twin brother on sale on EBAY as we speak......yours looks waaaayyyyy better.

Wow!   And it's in Connecticut too!   Sure looks like it is the same colour.  Although in the right sunlight,  Chestnut brown can look similar.   That can doesn't look bad.  The rear bumper looks pushed up in the center abit.    The photos are limited and don't show alot of details, that is always troubling.

It would be fun to cross paths in CT with the twin however.   

Richardonly

D. Johnson,

I am not too far from you (about 40 mins) in East Providence, R.I.

See you at the shows soon.  Have you joined NERCLC?  Their closest show is in Warwick, R.I. in June.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

djohnson

@Richard.   My mom grew up in East Providence RI (Hall st....Near the old Dels Lemonade)
The First show i think im gonna Hit is the museum of transportation in Brookline Ma.  May 20th
then the Portsmouth Abbey in Portsmouth Rhode Island (gotta check the date on this one....sometime in June)

Also found a factory Hood set up with the wreath and crest for flush mount on the hood.  Also found a parking lens
for the passenger side.
And I also found out that over the four year run that the "dark Forest Green" color (sherwood in 67, Ivanhoe in 68, Rampur green in 69
and Glennmore green in 70) is one of the rarest colors.  With only about 4500 over the 4 year run.  I know, I know I am a
67-70 Eldo NERD  but im ok with that. 

I would still like to change this over to Buckets and a console to send the rarity factor over the top

Richardonly

D. Johnson,

They are no longer having the show at the "Abbey."  It is replaced due to some sort of expansion at the Abbey and is the one I mentioned in Warwick in June.

Check NERCLC events and it will give you the location.  Of course that is about 2 months away, so plenty of time.

Enjoy your beautiful new Eldo!

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

djohnson

So the car is on Ebay and to say the least I am quite disappointed. 
over 950 views.....over 60 watchers.....but only 10 bids  in the amount of
$2700.    is the market that soft?  or is ebay not the market that it used to be??
I have seen clunkers get more action than this good example

I want to keep the car anyway so maybe this is a sign...but damn  this car is nice
and to see it so low is an insult ......but hey I am keeping the wife off my back
for a little bit (at least she see's that I am trying)

oh well looks as if I will continue restoring her as needed and have
one of the best eldorado's once everything is said and done

Davidinhartford

I think the market is definately soft.   At least for the common man collector.   The Barrett Jackson collector still has plenty of money to buy "investments" that they'll never drive.   

Working guys like ourselves aren't running out and paying top dollar right now.  Disposable money right now is so tight.    Restoration is being done in steps, not drop it off and leave a blank check and call me when it will win at Pebble Beach.   

Ebay is a fickle place.    Sure you get alot of viewers over time, but alot of dreamers and tire kickers too.    I placed my 75 Eldo on Ebay twice and bids never came close to my reserve.   I ended up selling it off line to a bidder after the auction, and still didn't get my asking price. 

These 67-70 Eldorados are finally getting some attention, but I think the market is still suffering from the economy.

djohnson

Yeah I agree. the right Eldorado's are selling.(low mileage ...extra mint .....in the 15k to 20k range) but real nice drivers
for the working man sit on the shelf.   Its ok this is one of the best to come thru so I think she's a keeper.  I will keep
cleaning her up (that's all she needs is the clean up) and enjoy this one every other sunday or so.

I think im gonna send it to the body shop and clean up the hood & the other 3 or 4 imperfections and then
detail the engine and maybe detail the undercarriage

Ebay at one point was a nice place to sell a vehicle but now is the biggest classic car show in the world.
with a lot of tire kickers and millions of questions from people who aren't even bidding.   But it does
provide the national & international exposure.

Have 3 days left.  lets see what happens.  The reserve is what I think the car is worth and im not
letting it go for anything less than that.

I may start looking for another one for the flip and keep this untill  Im dead.....(hopefully another 45 years at least)

Gene Beaird

Quote from: David Smith on April 18, 2012, 10:39:01 AM
LOL   Yes, old cars can be just expensive as a mistress!    LOL   But just as much fun.   :)

Yeah, but your wife will ALWAYS know where you are!  Mine helped me build a shop so we could put all our mistresses under one roof.  If I'm not in the house, I'm usually out at the shop working on something.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

djohnson

Good morning folks.

So the car didnt sell on EBAY with a high bid of $4000.  That means she gets to stay a little longer.
I found the correct hood ornament but still looking for the front spear (if any body wants to sell one?)

Took the windshield wipers console apart and i'm thinking its the switch.  going to clean it and all the connectors
and hope for the best.

almost ready for the body shop to get the hood painted.  Wish i could afford to get the whole car done but
dont think its happening.

Also seen a NOS passenger side mirror on EBAY  for  a "Buy it Now" of $750............DAMN   $750??

Rob Troxel

I'm surprised someone hasn't recast a replica of the righthand mirrors for the Eldorado and full size Cadillac.  The Ebay prices reflect some pretty hot demand! Way more than I could spend.