News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1947 series 6269 restore & rebuild

Started by Martin Michaels, April 20, 2012, 08:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Michaels

Hello all , I picked up my '47 last summer,spent the rest of the year finding out  as much as I could about it. I asked a lot of questions on this board and received a lot of help from the good members of this club, thank you. Now it's time to get to work. This car is going to be a driver so I want to make sure it starts,goes down the road and stops without problems.First thing rebuild the 346 L-head. Here are some pictures to get stated with. First what I started with pictures. Marty M.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Martin Michaels

Hi All, Well the engine didn't have good compression digging into it I had bad valve guides , a plugged up cooling system and a lot of sludge through out the engine. a couple of pics  of the top end. The engine came out, tore it down sent the block out to get tanked and cylinders were bored out to 30 over. The heads were a little warped so they were fly cut to  a perfect plane. Clean block and head pics. Till next time Marty Michaels
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Martin Michaels

Some more pics a nice clean block Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Martin Michaels

Some more pics Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

The Tassie Devil(le)

Boy......... I have heard of things taking a while, but 8 years for an engine rebuild? ;)   But, I do know the feeling.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Martin Michaels

Hi Bruce no thats just the date on my camera I never reset it ,just pulled the engine out 2 weeks ago. only had the car since june last year should be done in 2 more weeks. Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Marty,

Someone has been playing with your camera as the dates have been changed.   The first lot show 2004, then the last series is 2012.

But me, I don't show the date, as the date is recorded in the "Properties" when transferring the images to the computer.

Plus, the date sometimes gets in the way of something that could be important.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Martin Michaels

YA bruce I know I am a anolog man living in a digital world.I am more concerned with the rebuild than some dates on a camera I will get the dates off I see their a distraction.Marty.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

1960 coupe de ville

Hi Marty
Great work with the posts please keep them coming, I have a 46 62 and have a 346 with rusty pots and was considering pulling it down and having it cleaned and crack tested but I haven't attempted anything like an engine rebuild and was still in two minds.
I really like this engine and would like it to pull my car but the cost of the rebuild vs a second hand chev engine is still unknown.
cheers looking forward to more of you car.
Jason Gendrolius.

Martin Michaels

Hello all, well we got some more work done on the engine so I have a few more pictures to post before and after. The original thermostat still opens at temp. Marty M
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Martin Michaels

Now from some after pictures and a better one of the thermostat. The cooling system was not a concern of previous owner. The car had under 38,000 miles on her when parked in 1991. Recored radiator, rebuilt starter,generator and water pump. Marty M.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Martin Michaels

Some more pictures Marty.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Martin Michaels

A few more. Marty M
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Martin Michaels

The pictures until we start her up in a couple of days. Marty M
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Martin Michaels

Greetings all, I am making good progress car should be up and running first week in July.I will be starting on the interior next. I would like to do this my self and was wondering if any one has used Kanters Supply, how difficult it is to do and quality of their fabrics, or has any one used another supply house with kits that are good and user friendly any suggestions? Thanks Marty M
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Martin Michaels

Hello, The engine and the transmission are now rebuilt it should be a couple of weeks then both will be installed in their original body. Any way here are a couple of pictures of both. Marty M.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

gary griffin

Hi Marty, 

Just a suggestion of course but have you considered moving your oil filter to the inner fender on the drivers side?

They are a dealer installed after market item and I dont know if you would lose points in a show and that is not my concern. The authenticity manual says show cars would not have oil filters.

My issue is that the head bolts protrude into the water jacket and rust up and often break when removed. My car had a good running engine but in the process of removing the oil filter head bolts were broken. I had to take a head off to fix the problem and more head bolts were broken. I ended up doing a full rebuild because of the head bolts.

Great looking engine by the way.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Martin Michaels

Thanks Gary, I will look into moving the oil filter. I sure do not want anything to happen to this motor with all the time and cash I have invested in it. I know that they did not come stock with the filter however after seeing all the sludge in side the engine when I disassembled it and I want to limit that as much as possible. Thanks again for the suggestion. Marty M 
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green