News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Looking for Plastic drum for 1957 drum clock

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, May 29, 2012, 05:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello,
  I am looking for a good clear plastic drum  that fits into the optional drum clock for the 1957 Eldorado .

Thanks,
     Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Roger Zimmermann

Sorry Bill, I don't have that piece (same as the Brugham, I suppose). Why are you looking for that drum? Is yours broken or just dull? If dull, it can be polished like paint. If broken, this is another story...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Roger,
   My clock has a cracked drum , although it is still functional . i would like to replace it if i could , but i bet they are almost impossible to find . i cant help but to think somebody has one of those in their basement or garage for years and has no idea what it is . that is what drives a lot of us , finding those hard to get items .

Thanks Again,
     Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

rob123

I can do a core clock with a good drum,  Email me at  sales@cadillacsonly.com

J. Weiss
J. Weiss

David King (kz78hy)

There was a nice NOS Eldorado drum clock on ebay a week ago or so.  Expensive, but very nice.  The Brougham unit is different and would not work in your car.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello David ,
i did see that unit , the clocks are the same as far as i know , the one that fits the Biarritz and Seville or any other 57 Cadillac uses a surround that fits over the the Brougham clock . In other words my clock that i have for my biarritz would fit the Brougham but you would have to unscrew the standard face . after the standard face is removed at that point it fits the brougham model . i have added a link to that auction you refered to . It explains it a little better then i can
Bill

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item3a749be132&item=251064475954&nma=true&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&rt=nc&si=fYrhLXh3aye3yO7pRcKv3m2Rioo%253D&vxp=mtr&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Paul Tesone

Bill - in addition to J. Weiss' suggestion noted above , perhaps this information will help with your drum clock quest . I mentioned to you in another post that I purchased quite a few items from Jay Brown before he went into semi-retirement and began limiting his services to boot bags ,trunk pull down units , and acouple of other items . Well , when he retired , he sold his business and his inventory to a fellow named Barry Huntley . I believe his telephone number is 301-740-8110 . If , for some reason , that has changed , he usually has an ad in Hemmings . It's listed as " two wharehouses full of parts " , or something to that effect . He might have a drum clock . Good luck . Paul Tesone ...CLC # 6876

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Paul,
Thank you very much for the leads , i will call him today . you can not have to many sources or friends when owning an old car . Paul , your cars are beautiful . the olders ones are very rich looking and impressive . The white Biarritz looks like is should be ready soon and i will try to see you at the  Grand nationals when it comes to your neck of the woods .  The red Biarritz is so interesting to me . Seeing that car in that condition , i can not help wondering how it survived . but i am sure glad it did . It must of been spectacular when it was new , red with red and white interior . If i had more money and a place to keep a few old Cadillacs i would have a fleet of cars . But i have to tell you  Paul i am pretty happy with what i have .   life is good

Your friend,
       Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Quentin Hall

G'day Bill,
       I didn't see your clock post till now. I have a couple of spare drum clocks back in Brisbane. I am here in Perth working for another week and a half. . . and I am pretty sure that we will be able  to come to a reasonable financial consideration considering we are both madly in love with the same woman . . . er car.  If you can wait that long. Regards . Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Quentin,
thank you for the offer but i found a clock thru this tread , It is suppopsed to have a good clear drum . If it turns out to be something i will drop you a note .   I think we are in love with the same Women...er car

Thanks,
     Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

David King (kz78hy)

Bill,

The movement is the same, but the drum face has much larger numbers and the chrome bezel has a larger opening in to display the numbers on the Brougham unit.  The stem is under the bezel and there is a corresponding shape in the Brougham dash to accept it.  So The Brougham face and drum really won't work in any other car.

The one on ebay, they guy is mistaken in his advertisement.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello David ,
    Thank you for your input , I really do appreciate it . I purchased a core clock with a good drum from J. Weiss from Cadillacs only . He is a couple of lines down on this thread . I will let you know how i make out and if it fits .The drum i need is 4 inches in diameter and about 1.75 inches tall , the letters are .400 high . I have added a few pictures . i removed the face off of the clock  that allows you to fit it into the dash of any series 62 car . When that face comes off it looks like  then it would fit into the Brougham dash . Very interesting .

Thanks Again ,
     Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

I have added a few more showing the backplate or adapter plate . It sure lookls like this will fit both series 62 and Brougham , but i do respect Davids opinion . I just hope the drum im purchased will fit the clock i have .I will keep you informed .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

David King (kz78hy)

Hi Bill,

I guess we will see.

Here are some photos of Brougham clocks I had done.

David

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello David ,
Thanks for sending the pictures , They are for sure not the same as far as the stem and the mounting brackets . I hope i get the right size drum at this point . If not i will list it on E bay and see what happens . This forum is a great tool for learning and input from people like you is greatly appreciated .   I was kind of curious the four clocks you had in the same picture all we at 6 O'clock .

Thanks again David ,
         Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Quentin Hall

Yes Bill and David, My memory is a little fuzzy this time of morning but I am 90% that it is just the stem is shorter on Brougham and the mounting brackets are slightly different; otherwise it is the same mechanism.
    Further, on all the clocks being on the same time. . . my first girlfriend's father collected clocks . Must have been 100 in the house. NONE told the same time.  The chiming on the hour would start 14 minutes before the hour and continue till 14 minutes past the hour.  Leaving two minutes of nothing but 100 clocks TICK , TICK, TICKING . Was enough to trigger an epileptic seizure. I don't know how anybody could live with the noise. . . That's why we always met in the park.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

David King (kz78hy)

Bill,

All the clocks had just come back from being serviced.  3 of the 4 were able to be repaired and work.  The winding mechanism is bad on one of the movements (the one out of my car).  So he had them on the test bench running, so they were set at the same time.

I just found a clock for sale that you could use, just FYI.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Cadillac-Seville-Eldorado-Biarritz-12-volt-Drum-Clock-Westclox-/150829093139?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231e1d5113

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Bill Balkie 24172

hello David ,
i noticed that last night , it will be interesting to what that clock goes for . i hope i have the one i purchased from J. Wiess by the time that auction ends . i will let you know how i make out .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello,
  Purchased a good used Drum clock on eBay that had a very nice clear plastic drum . I removed the drum and installed in my original clock and it works fine .  Thanks everyone that had responded to my request . With the extra parts i had left over i  put together a clock that does not work,  has a broken drum but shows very well . Shows  8 O' Clock all the time . But really how many of these clocks show the right time anyway today with a lot of us disconnecting the battery . 

Thanks Again ,
       Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

David King (kz78hy)

Bill,

At the Grand National last week, a friend bought a Eldo drum clock and had it in his hand.  I looked it over and it appeared that the Seville and Biarritz versions used the Brougham unit with an additional bezel mounted on the front.  The ears on the side might have additional holes to attach the extra bezel, but I think I was wrong about whether a Brougham unit could me made to work.

How did it work out for you?  Is the movement any good on the unit w/the broken drum?  I need a movement w/a good catch in the winding mechanism to fix the 4th Brougham clock I have and would interested in the movement if it had a good winding unit.

Thanks
David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197