News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New Upholstery in Pacific Northwest

Started by gary griffin, May 29, 2012, 06:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

Hi, I am looking to find a good, relaible, and reasonable, upholsterer to completely re-upholster my 1942 series 6719.  Hopefully I can find one in the Seattle, Tacoma area or even Portland Oregon?

Any leads will be appreciated.

Gary Griffin

garygriffin@Q.com

253 838 9900
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

SMS, a well know supplier of original type upholstery fabrics, is in your area:

SMS Auto Fabrics
350 South Redwood St.
Canby, OR 97013 (Map)

Phone: (503) 263-3535
Fax: (503) 263-3525
Mon-Fri 8:30-5:00 PST

They don't do upholstery work, but I'm sure they could recommend a shop
in the area that does reputable work.  BTW, heard many good reports about
their fabrics, vinyls & leather that they supply -- in case you don't yet have
your materials.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I've used SMS three times and their fabric is fantastic, I can't , however, say the same about their service.
Phil

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Phil:

First of all, let me say that I have no stock in SMS or any interest.

However, what they supply (reproductions of vintage materials) is
a tough business.  I had some experience in my former life in the
textile / leather industry.  Scheduling relatively small runs of a special
custom product with a leather or textile mill is extremely difficult as to
timing.  They'll promise you a one month delivery but when they get
"busy" with a long run of material to load their plant your order gets
pushed to the back of the line.

This is part of SMS's difficulty -- promising and keeping a delivery date
and keeping the customer happy.  I'm not excusing the problem, just
wanting to give some background.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jeffrey Burland

Thanks for the insight, Mike. I'm sure they do the best they can and life has a habit of happening. thanks, Jeff in CT
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

kkarrer

Gary,
     Jenkins interiors has some kits that are pre-made.  I'm almost certain that he has at least a complete trunk kit for your car.  He's on the east coast (one of the Carolinas).  I got a kit from him for my 41 coupe and you can easily install it yourself and save some $.  There are also pre-cut headliners and kick panels out there and high quality carpets that are pre-sewn.  Getting this stuff, whether you install it or not will save you some bucks and time when you find a local upholsterer as that should only leave the seats and the door panels and package tray to cut, sew and install.  Just fyi...I'm assuming you have the glass out of the car.  You should leave it that way until the headliner is installed.  It will make that job much easier and faster and again should save you money and time.  With all of that said, my upholstery guy (a good friend of mine who has done other cars for me) won't be able to get my seats and headliner done before Nationals, so while I'll be going, along with my wife and Rick Payton (and his 58 brougham), my 41 will not make it.  I'll get it done this summer, but it will have some driving miles on it by the time next year's Nationals roll around.  I've really busted my tail on this car to get it done in under a year...bummer.
Ken Karrer 1941 6227 D coupe

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Mike,
Thanks, but I need to private message you about this. I am happy to put my experience on the forum, but I realise it may be removed. Credit where credit is due - I can't fault their fabrics, but when I ordered and paid up front for my door panels is where my problems began......
Phil

Roger Zimmermann

Phil, I had the same experience. It took about 1 year to have the door panels ready; however I have to say that once delivered, the final result was excellent.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Roger, it took a bit over a year, but it was a lot more than the time taken that was the problem. My door panels are good but there is one major detail that they got wrong.
Phil

Roger Zimmermann

Oups Phil! As they never do a mistake (I got 2 wrong headliners), I can imagine the problem.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101