News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Eldorado Concept Motorama Show Car

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, August 31, 2012, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The "reverse lamps" looked like stainless steel filler pieces on my end. I stand corrected.   ;D
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

g27g28

Has anyone found out where this car went?  I need to start looking on Craigslist more often as I live in Orlando and could have gone and looked at this car.  David's pictures are different from the Craigslist posting, why is that?  I guess the next step would be to contact the towing company and see if they will give out any information. Look at the attached picture I came accross, over the top of the Jaguar in the front of the pic.  Certainly looks like this car from the back. 
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

rwchatham CLC 21892

I have spoken to the new owner about buying the car and he insists it is not for sale. Bummer.
R. Waligora

At least it appears to have a good home with one who understands what the car is and will not do something foolish with it. By way of interest, the car has a stock 61 VIN & does not have a special data plate or any special markings. It is the data plate is also stock 1961 Eldorado Biarritz however the owner is certain the alterations could not have been the work of an aftermarket customizer shop but of a "deep-pocketed" auto manufacturer as he puts it. I strongly advised he begin his research by ordering the historical package from GM Heritage.  Hopefully that will tell us more.

N Kahn

High folks, I am the new caretaker of the car and it isn't for sale. I'm not 100% certain it is the 1962 Chicago Auto Show car but the picture in the book of the show's history that sealed the deal for me to take the plunge and if turns out not to be I'll be ecstatic regardless.
There are parts on the car that are unique and unlike any others I've ever seen, and I think they couldn't have been made even by the most talented customizer.
I will put up pictures very soon.
I'm very happy to make your acquaintance, gentlemen.

N Kahn

BTW, the trunk key is missing but you can see inside it, it has fiberglass parade boots for the top and a spare tire with a leather cover just like the interior, it is my hope the original wheel and tires are under it.

Wouldn't that be sweet.

Welcome to the CLC forum as well Nadeem. You're sure the spotlight of all the Cadillac forums today. Nothing like starting off with a bang!

Your homework assignments are as follows: Order the Historical Package and #2, join the CLC! lol!

We'll be looking forward to hearing everything there is to know about your car's history. No doubt, many here will be able to offer assistance as well.

Eric

rwchatham CLC 21892

A little suprised by the cowl tag not having an so designation. If it was infact built by the gm styling division it should of had a so in the tag for special order. There is a corvette dealer that has a corvette from the chicago show and it has an so in the tag.  The build sheet will be the deciding factor.
R. Waligora

Davidinhartford

Congratulations on the purchase!

We eagerly await photos of it.    So far we've only seen glimpses of it.    Would love to see a full view of it, especially the front 3/4 view.

g27g28

Nadeem congratualtions on the car.  Is the car still in Florida?  I would love to look it over if it is still here.
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

N Kahn

I've sent my info to the GM Heritage Center, I'll share info as soon as I get it.

I'm sure that'll make for very interesting reading. One of the most important tasks will be to positively establish the car was the one appearing in the vintage Motorama photo. 

Agreed with Dave, a frontal view of the car would be most appreciated as it's the only major area of the car we haven't seen yet.

N Kahn

There was no Motorama in 1961, there was a New York Auto Show and they usually ran concurrently, the pics I've seen of the car (if it is this car) are from the Chicago Auto Show of 1962, there's a book called The Greatest Show On Earth that has its history, it's a must buy for all auto enthusiasts.

The two vintage pics on this thread are both from the 1962 Chicago Auto Show, coincidentally one of my favorite cities.

Brian Laurance

There was indeed a 1961 Motorama, and this was the final year for the event.  I will contact David Temple, author of the GM Motorama book, and ask him to add to the topic here if he has any knowledge of whether the car was displayed at the 1961 Motorama.

N Kahn

My mistake, I meant to write 1962. From the info I was given it was supposedly shown at the New York Auto Show in 1962, never at a Motorama. It struck me odd that a car that's a 1961 in the back and 1962 up front would be shown in 1962, last year's ideas wouldn't go over well with the buying public.

Davidinhartford

Since it is essentially a 1961 car,  I would venture it is a Design Studio study vehicle to try out different styling themes for future production.    So why not roll it out at the 1962 Auto show in Chicago and get feedback from visitors?    We know now that the open rear wheels did go into production on the 64 Eldorado.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
Maybe I'm missing the point here. The car is a 1961 with some 1962 & beyond features. It would be logical to show it in 1961. Right? In 1962 they would be showing a car with with 1963 & beyond features. What year was the photo taken that was posted some time ago?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

g27g28

The car was shown at the 1962 Chicago autoshow.  There is a website dedicated to the show and it shows that car under the 1962 views.  The car may have started as a 61 but the front view looks like it has a 62 grille installed.  I also came across another photo which just happens to be color and if you look at the picture and the attached caption underneath the car was painted gold.  It's hard to see but it's gold.
This is the caption :
In its second year at the new McCormick Place, the Chicago Auto Show continued to dazzle show goers with it bright open design and wide aisles. This rare color view catches a corner of the Cadillac display with a 1902 Runabout on the turntable. Behind a pair of 1962 Cadillacs on the floor is a special Cadillac Eldorado convertible with its attendant spokeswomen. Nearby are Buick, Oldsmobile and Rambler displays.
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

I just saw a pic of the front of the car. The grille is unique- similar to, but not stock '62 Cadillac.

It seems odd that an event showcasing '62 cars in general would've been held in 1962. In any case, it is confirmed that Nadeem's car was built the last week of November 1960- as witnessed by the build code 11E on the data plate. It seems more logical to me the show would've taken place sometime in 1961.