News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Looking for 57 Cadillac Convertible top pull down Mechanisms

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, October 28, 2012, 12:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
  It looks like i will have to rebuild one of the tops two  pull down mechanisms. The right hand looks ok but the left needs attention .If they are available for purchase i would rather go in that direction . If not i need to disasemble and remachine . Does anybody know if these parts are available ?

Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Eldovert

Bill,
If you can't find the parts you could see if this fellow would like to take them on as a project. He is making convertible top rebuild kits as well as other parts.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-1954-1955-1956-Convertible-top-rebuild-kit-/261118958385?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccbe71b31&vxp=mtr

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Eldovert,
  Thanks for the response  and your help .  That guy offeres a lot of pins and bushings  and washers  and a  lot of custom window frames for convertibles , I am not sure if he can help me out although i will write to him and ask . . I can make the part  i need myself ,  but that will be my last resort . I was just wondering if someone out there knows anybody that might have a NOS replacement . That is what i would rather have .If i have to make it myself. I will make it out of Titanium , and use the existing spring . It really helps to work in a machine shop when owning an old classic car .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Quentin,
  Thanks for the info . That looks like the exact same part except for the sheet metal . i am going to write to the guy and ask some questions . I am very appreciative for your comment . Living here in New Jersey i am getting ready to be hit by Hurricane Sandy , so i might not be able to log on for awhile .

Thanks,
       Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Quentin  ,
      I added another link from the same guy that sells the assembly for the top that you posted , however if you read the auction ( look under Product Description) he states that the springs are not heat treated . He offers the mechansisms only with heat treated springs for 20.00 dollars more .  My Time and material would cost well over 129.00 dollars . As long as they are the same and they look to be i am going with this link . Thanks again .  Bill

http://www.ebay.com/itm/58-59-60-Chevy-Convertible-Top-Handle-Latch-Mechanisms-/350384723711?hash=item51948e96ff&item=350384723711&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Quentin Hall

No worries Mate,
            I hope you all go ok over there and it all blows over so to speak. Make sure the Eldo is wrapped up in a safe and cosy corner.
        My wife just returned from a NY/Paris working holiday staying in fabulous hotels and dining in fine restaurants ( she's a food and travel writer) while I stayed home and looked after the kids (how does that work?). She loved NY like no other and has "demanded" that we both go next time. ( Damn, can't I stay home and mind the kids again??)  Just got to address the minor issue of a blown out credit card first. Mmmm !.
        I know she'll just love it if I catch up with all my Cadillac buddies if we are there. . . so count yourself in the list Bill.
       Take care and keep us posted and good luck. Q   
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bill Balkie 24172

Quentin,
   Just got off the phone with Dennis from Bowtie classic Parts , He is going to send me a set of hinges with heat treated springs . He finds it very interesting that they might fit 57 / 58 Cadillacs as well . I will let him know as soon as they arrive . if they do he can expand  his services  to fit 57 /58 Cadillac . If they do not i can always send them back . It all started with your response and i thank you again .

your friend ,
    Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS