News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle 39-5019

Started by erlovic, August 19, 2013, 09:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erlovic

Hello Experts,
I just purchased a 1939 LaSalle (39-5019). The car was my uncles and he has had it in the garage since the early 1980's. Unfortunately he never started it so it has Been sitting for a long time. The car is still in excellent shape. It won a car show just before be bought it in the 1980's. The odometer reads 36,000 miles an my aunt tells me it is original. It has a passenger side spare tire that I am told is very rare. The interior appears to be original and is excellent condition. Can you experts guide me as to what I have and where I should start?  Joe

erlovic

Here are some pictures.

erlovic

erlovic

More pics.

52Cadillac

Joe, I'm not the expert, but this deserves a bump up. Very nice car.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

erlovic

Thanks Mike! I am very excited to get it in the shape it deserves to be in. I have never restored an old car so I want to do it right. I am hoping others who have already restored similar cars can lead me in the right direction.

52Cadillac

Joe, I'm no restorer. I just like em to be good drivers. But you have some decisions to make. Do you want a driver, or a top notch show car? I'd read up on some threads here regarding how to start an engine that's not been used in years. More involved then just just switching out bad gas for good. Search and read, and post up questions. plenty of vendors, etc. There's help on here regarding restoration of your car. A nut and bolt frame off would be out of the question for my wallet. I went to a very good seminar on restoring your vehicle. Get all the manuals together, owners, shop, and body manuals, and sit in the garage with your car. Just study it, and the different systems, manuals, etc.
With only 36k on the motor that's a very good beginning for such a good car. Get her going, and bring her to the Grand National next year. Good luck.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

erlovic

That's what I am trying to decide. That will depend on the value. I have been told that only two were made with passenger side mounted spare tires (have not been able to confirm). If it is that rare then it won't be a driver and I will have a top notch restoration done. I also don't want to mess to much with its originality. It is in very nice original condition. Thanks for your input!

erlovic

I am surprised that there have been so few replies. Jim Stamper has been very helpful. Does anyone have any information regarding the rarity of a passenger side spare tire on a 39-5019?

52Cadillac

Bump.
Joe I don't. I'm sure others will. Another thing. A top notch restoration can go as much or more then 150k. Deep pockets required. I hope someone else will chime in on this beautiful car. Good luck Joe.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

erlovic

Mr. Patton,
Please review this post from approximately 2 months ago. It contains some history and photos including the plate with vehicle information.  Joe

Tom Knoebel

Glad to hear about your car. I drive and enjoy my cars and reliability is everything in my book. Safety improvements brakes need some help. But other wise frequent oil changes rebuilt water pump with modern seals rebuilt fuel pump with modern materials. Your set for another 75 years. Call me anytime. Also I just  posted brake info on tech page.
Best
Tom
Tom Knoebel

1939 LaSalle 5019, 1940 5019, 1940 5019, 1940 5011

Cooke

Joe,

Looks like a very nice car, keep it as a driver. The passenger side spare is rare but will not add any significant value over a one with none or two side mounts, rarity does not always dramatically increase the price. Very nice car drive it and enjoy it.  Martin.

bariman

I am just completing a frame off restoration of a 5019.  Where are you?

Dennis Buchholz
Louisville

erlovic

I am in Carroll County Ohio about 5.5 hours from Louisville. What did the restoration cost you and how much did you do yourself?