News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Question on a '37 LaSalle chassis.

Started by 1937 LaSalle coupe, November 15, 2013, 08:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markl

John,
I've sent you a PM to the Email address listed in the new directory.  Verify that you have received the four attached photos at that address, and I'll bore you w/ a more detailed description.  Most importantly, there is only one weld on the top flange, and likewise, one weld on the bottom.  But what I was really forgetting is that there is a hefty rivet through the bracket (got to come up w/ a different name for this piece!) where it overlaps the frame rail.  One through the top, and one through the bottom.  Either the rivet should be in place on your frame, or at the very least, a hole for each.

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Mark,
I see you're in Chico now. Any chance you could drive up The hill & look at that 41 Cad 63 series  in Magalia? I'm personally not interested, but someone on the board might be. Just an idea.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

markl

Bob,
Damn, Damn, Damn!  Just came back to WC yesterday, so won't be up there for a few more weeks.
Send me a PM around December 14th if it is still something you'd like me to look at.  A side trip up to Magalia is always fun.

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hello everyone. No, Mark Lowery, I did not receive the photos. There are holes in the bumper arm brackets. Will make a spacer 27 1/2" long to bolt the brackets together in order to keep the right space. Again, thanks to everyone who chimed in on my problem... John C. Lehman... CLC# 26365... 

markl

John,
Hmmmmmm.  My regular computer, a Macbook is down for the time being.  So the photos were sent from my wife's IPad which I find most mysterious.  Sent them to the Email address that is listed in the directory that starts out; Beckleyralston..........   So is this the proper address where you would see them?  I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to things digital, so that is why I'm not posting the photos in the Forum. 

It is good that you can see the holes where the rivets where originally placed.  If the brackets that attach  to the frame were carefully removed, your problems are over.    The fact that the brackets were both riveted and welded indicates that Cadillac was using a "belts & suspenders" approach to a component that they considered fairly important. 

The other thing the photos will show (once I get them to you!) is that the brackets were not net w/ the front end of the frame rails as I said earlier.  Rather, they are set back about 3/4", but the shape of the bracket is not very square, so I'm looking at the furthest forward projection of the bracket  and measuring from the most forward portion of the frame rail.

Feel free to send me a PM if that will clarify  the Email address that I should be sending the photos to.

Mark Lowery CLC #25216

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hi Mark. That's my email address. Hopefully when I get around to doing the brackets, they will bolt in to the rivet holes. Looking forward to seeing your photos. Thanks... John C. Lehman... CLC# 26365...