News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

48 questions

Started by dan48, February 23, 2014, 01:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan48

My car is a 48 model 6207, aka club coupe, aka sedanette. The color, per the data plate, should be French Grey. Color samples from dealer material and the Authenticity Manual show French Grey to definitely be a grey color. My car was repainted many years ago a color very close to Ivory. That paint job had to have been done with the car disassembled. Apparently there wasn't an Ivory/White color option in 1948. However, I have seen pictures of at least 3 other 1948's that look to be the same Ivory color. A sedan owner I contacted to also has an Ivory car with a data plate paint code the same as mine. This strikes me as a pretty unusual coincidence. Does anyone have an explanation beyond amazing coincidence ? There is a color called Fiesta Ivory listed but not shown  for 1949.
  ? - Per Authenticity Manual, 1949's ,but not 1948's, had an owners ID Card on the " air deflector" panel in front of the radiator. The card is secured by metal tabs at the corners. My 1948 has these metal tabs. If it never had an ID Card, why the tabs ? If there never was an ID Card -- was there something else at this spot ?
  Is there a source for the 48 only sparkplug bracket/ spacers ? The portion that is not metal  ? Thanks ! Dan 48
Dan Lough

Richardonly

Hello Dan,

My car also has the tabs for the card and it is a 1948 Fleetwood 60S.

I cannot help you on the color question, so perhaps someone else may.

Regards, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Richardonly

1995 Jaguar XJ6

Martin Michaels

Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

dan48

Would like to see the pics . However,  windows tells me the file is empty .
Dan Lough

jyinger

Jon Yinger

Richardonly

Sorry everyone!  I tried and retried.  I have downloaded pics many times from this same file and it has worked for 3 years.  Now nothing.

I shall try 1 more time.  Wish me luck.
1995 Jaguar XJ6

Richardonly

Sorry, no longer working which stinks as I have no idea why it isn't!
1995 Jaguar XJ6

Warren Rauch #4286

Question #1
      Since French grey is a light grey ,I would think it could be bleached out by the sun and appear to be white.  Fiesta Ivory was a March 15, 1949 replacement color for  Chartreuse. Therefore it wasn't available  at the end of 1948 production. Try pulling the rear seat cushion and checking color there.

Question #2
      In the Cadillac Serviceman March 1948 ( introduction of the 1948's) page 11 it claims the ID card  was being moved from cowl kick pad to radiator air deflector under the hood. I would be surprised if the series 75 was included ,but your car should have been. Warren

Jeff Maltby 4194

My oem 49 vertical owner Id card with cover and thus the reproduction cards below are bogus for 48-9 but correct for later 1950's series Cadillac's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-1958-Cadillac-Owners-Identification-Card-/321329858748?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ad0c088bc

the 48 rad shroud horizontal tabbed card holder is just like a 49, so the card sat sideways under the cover unlike later models.

48 rad shroud  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QF4_icyhxY

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

dan48

Thanks all. Very helpful. Who would think an eBay description of the application would be wrong ? My faith in the internet is destroyed -- Ho Ho.  That seller is not alone. I bought the same owner ID card from another well known retailer. For lack of an alternative, I might just put in the wrong card to fill a pretty obvious blank space. At least I know its not correct. Re color = my car was French Grey. It was a very through repaint many years ago.  I just seems odd that 3-4 people would choose the same/very similar color for a repaint.
Dan Lough