News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Cadillac Glass Bowl Fuel Filter

Started by Kevin Kenneally, March 29, 2014, 09:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Kenneally

I just replaced the element in my fuel filter and had trouble with the fittings leaking until I turned the glass bowl on the bottom and it is fine.  I screwed the line out of the carb together then twisted the filter on leaving the glass bowl on the bottom.  Is there a problem with the glass bowl next to the valve cover or do I need to get it turned and have the glass bowl on the top??

txturbo

If you don't start having vapor lock issues, then leave it as is. If you do you will need to turn it with the glass bowl on top and vertical.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

DylanFan52

I just attempted to change the filter on my 1959 Cadillac (just started restoration) and it is stuck.  It looks fragile and I certainly do not want to break the glass bowl.  Any advice?  I have soaked it in diesel fuel and applied JB Blaster to the rim but I am afraid to apply too much pressure.  Thanks!

John

Jeff Maltby 4194

I used the the rubber handle on my hammer to get the last one off tapping around it. The oem gasket is probably cork, but Napa sells a rubber gasket that might work.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

55 ledsled

Yeah they put up a fight but they will come off. That glass is pretty thick so no worries. I noticed you used rubber hoses...I fought hooking mine up bending steel lines and the guy at the Napa said why dont you just use a couple compression fittings and a piece of copper tube...easy to bend and you dont have to fight it... easiest thing I ever did! Check it out if your interested.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The only issue with a copper fuel is that it will cost you points on judging.
Cadillac never used a copper line.

If that's not an issue to you -- I agree bending a copper line is much easier
than trying to bend and flare steel.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

David King (kz78hy)

Inline Tube has the parts pre bent.  FYI.

I did not see '55 listed, but '54 is, are they similar?

https://www.inlinetube.com/_p/prd14/3191014551/product/1954-cadillac-pump-to-carb-line-331-cid-cae5401 

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

55 cadi

I had ordered the fuel line from inline, that was suppose to be for a 1955, well it isn't exactly like it should be and hard to bend correct, still isn't on my car yet.

It was an ordeal calling them and going back and forth, they use line that is sent to them for certain cars and then they copy it, the one they have when you buy for 54/55 isn't exact, that was a year ago, maybe they have corrected.

It just didn't line up well, close, but not close enough.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jason,
Any issues with the air cleaner fitting with the filter mounted there?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

55 cadi

I didn't put the filter there, that was Adam, but yes the air cleaner does fit over the filter when filter is there, I was possibly going to mount mine there as well.

jason
2005 Cadillac deville

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: David King  (kz78hy) on September 16, 2017, 05:38:58 PM
Inline Tube has the parts pre bent.  FYI.

I did not see '55 listed, but '54 is, are they similar?

From the parts listing, group 12.2815:
1954 to 1956: # 1461455  Carter single carb. on 1955
1954 to 1956: # 1461456  Rochester single carb on 1955

Usually, those exceptions are well understandable, but here I'm a little bit lost...One thing is sure: there is a different fuel line if the carb is a Rochester or a Carter.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

55 cadi

Yes there is a difference, I ordered the carter because I have the carter

Maybe they sent wrong one? I don't know, there is no number or anything on the tube that states which its for

Jason
2005 Cadillac deville

J. Gomez

I had to made my own for my ’56 Rochester my first try one of the flares was not on good shape so I had to re-do it again.

The “S” bends are a pain  >:( but if you work very slow and keep moving the tube bender slightly forward from the start (about 1/8” or so) of the bend while applying some heat (I’ve use a heat gun higher setting) around it makes it easier to make the bends.

Heat is also the key in making the double flares as well as turning the compression tool is small increments.

You can use the copper/nickel alloy tubing which is much easier to bend than the steel or maybe aluminum. The only problem with these is there could be point reduction if your car is judged.

Good luck..! 
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

novis

About the vapor lock.

I had many probleme with vapor lock efter they changed the petrol here in Sweden. When I drow at way no probleme but in town the car stopped when I stand at red light. I tried many things, new pump, put in an electric pump, isolated the fuel tube etc, now worked. I met an old man an he said you must put in a back tube to the tank so the petrol can circulate.  He told me to drill a 0,6 mm hole at the tube between pump and carburator and then mont a rubber tube back to tank. I did that and after that no more probleme. I can cruise at very low speed and never vapor lock anymore.
i put in a fuelfilter before the pump and took away the glassfilter.

See picture.
Karl.H