News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 DeVille Convertible - Restoration

Started by DeVille68, April 27, 2014, 02:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeVille68

Can anyone post a picture of a original 68 neutral safety switch with correct vacuum switch attached?

I think my switch is only a very good reproduction. Strangely my switch looks exactly the same as the one shown in the 68 shop manual. I have attached to relevant page below.

The vacuum part is not shown - I suppose it is mounted on the back side - hence not visible in this manual picture?

The part number is: 1993386   for 67-68 and the price was 9.60! :-)

Edit: Ok, so in the mean time I found some pictures of a 68 switch. The front side looks exactly the same as all the reproduction and versions for the other GM cars. But the backside is the important part of the switch!
Attached two pictures of a 68 switch

Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

DeVille68

Today I tried to remove the complete steering linkage assembly from my car in order to replace the central link.
I planed to do this for weeks now but had to find a tie rod end puller first. I could borrow one from a friend of mine. I also borrowed a pitman arm puller from my mechanic. The shop manual has a good procedure on how to remove the linkage.

I started by pulling the tie rod ends - was very easy. Just insert the tool and turn the screw. Next was the removal of the idler arm attaching screws. Final task: Remove the central link from the pitman arm using the pitman arm puller tool. See the three pictures attached.

Well, the first part took me about 5 min and I fiddled with the pitman arm for about 2 hours - with no result...
"Dä värdammt värfluechti Saauchaib" would just not split apart!  >:( >:(

Does anyone have some good tips on how the remove the central link from the pitman arm?
Other tool? Heat? Special trick?

Any help much appreciated!!

Best regards,
Nicolas

P.S: I have now soaked that sucker in WD40 - let's see if that helps tomorrow.....

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Nicholas,
Something in the pictures doesn't seem "Kosher".  I would suggest you pull the pitman arm off the gear box (it is keyed and can only go back on one way), and pull the entire assembly out from under the car.  You will then be able to get a better look at the assembly for diss-assembly.  The linkage doesn't look like it should be that "stuck".
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

dwbic

Hi Nicolas,

When I took mine apart I had no success with a puller - ended up using a pickle fork and an air chisel.  Good luck!

Best regards,
Don
Don

DeVille68

Today my "quest" in removing the steering linkage continued. I had ordered a pickle fork kit with air hammer adapter.
First I tried the air hammer - with no success. Too little force. Then I used a heavy hammer with no success either.
I had to call my father to help me. He used another heavy hammer and held on the opposite side against the joint of central link and pitman arm. Due to the observation that when I hammered on the pickle fork the linkage would flex a little because steel indeed is a spring and was absorbing all my hammering force. So he held against and after a few hammer blow the joint would separate.

I then started to separate the individual components. It turned out that the central link would have been reusable but the ball joints of the  inner tie rod were quite sluggish and the boots are cracked. So I need to replace both inner tie rods and maybe one outer tie rod for the passenger side. (This one was still the original from the factory!!! ) Depending on price I will leave the original since the boot is still good and its still quite firm.
Idler arm and the sleeves are in good condition.

As soon as I have all parts they will be sandblasted and painted with por-15.

Regards,
Nicolas

DeVille68

If you follow my blog you might remember that I restored my door panels and still working on it. Well the plastic piece which surrounds the door opening handle was still in bad shape. I was looking all over the internet and ebay for an replacement in dark green. Or a color in dark green. But I was never happy with the idea of painting the plastic in dark green. There had to be a better solution!

Well, a few days ago I saw an interesting video on youtube (well here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVKZ8GpTj7w) where they restore a plastic panel with a heat gun!

Luckily, I work in a company where we have plastic technology experts. I asked them why this works. Well the reason is that the sun and the time dries out the plastic and micro cracks are formed. When you heat the top layer the plastic chains will re align and "close" the cracks, hence the full color will appear again. Mine was white in color instead of dark green - well it was still dark green but the cracks reflected the light in a way that it appears white or discolored. This trick of course only works with thermoplastics and especially with polypropylene. It does not work with duroplast (thermoset)!

The "trick" is to use a heat gun and very carefully heat to top layer just enough that it will "reflow" and fill in the cracks. You have to be very careful to not burn the plastic. If it is too hot there is no way back! But you can gradually "reflow" - take your time.

Well look at my before and after pictures!
Awesome isn't it?!  8)

Best regards,
Nicolas

DeVille68

By the way: My new tires from Diamond Back arrived three months ago and I had painted my wheels a few weeks ago.
Currently they are at my mechanics shop to be mounted and balanced.

Can't wait to see them on the car!  8)

Best regards,
Nicolas

P.S: Still need to finish the brakes and steering though....  :-\

DeVille68

I posted my latest findings regarding the brake springs in the my brake topic: http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=132601.msg296323#new

Best regards,
Nicolas

DeVille68

Past weekend I had some time to paint my new steering parts. I had to buy two inner tie rod ends, because my old one were pretty loose and the movement of ball joint was jerky.

I bought the two inner tie rod ends also from rareparts. They look very very nice. Ball joints are tight and firm. Good quality machining work.
I do not yet know how they ride / steer - but I expect the best.

I just painted my pieces all POR-15 sating black. Next weekend, they will be mounted to the frame and pitman arm again! :-)

Here are some new vs. old pictures (old maybe original? Can some one tell?)
and with fresh paint! :-)

Best regards,
Nicolas

DeVille68

fresh POR-15

DeVille68

And my new Diamond Back II tires are finally mounted and balanced on my freshly painted rims. Still have the blue coating on the tires.

Best regards,
Nicolas

DeVille68

First drive since 8 months!  8)

Here are some updates I did to the car since last august:

• New DB II tires with special double whitewall just like the original diagonal tires!  8)  (thanks David!)
  • my freshly painted wheels
  • tire and wheels balanced
  • New steering components (central link and both inner tie rods) from rareparts. (cleaned and painted with por-15)
  • Wheel alignment and steering adjustment all done
  • Fresh transmission filter and oil
  • Fresh oil for my controlled differential
  • New original brake drum for the front left
  • Replaced brake springs on the back
  • All drums cleaned, lightly sanded the friction surface to remove irregularities
  • All drums freshly painted. I used POR-15, as I did for the wheels
  • New front wheel bearing seals
  • Vacuum trunk release installed. Need to route the vacuum lines
  • Replaced some old vacuum lines
  • Repaired the radio
  • Installed the inline condenser at the blower motor
  • Some smaller details

First drive yesterday was fantastic!
Very smooth ride. Precise steering. Once you set your steering angle through the corner it goes. No corrections needed anymore.

Before, I had to constantly adjust the steering because the steering linkage was so loose and sloppy.
Brakes are great, need to fine tune those though. Sadly the brakes test stand of my mechanic was not working yet.

Will snap some pictures this afternoon with the hub caps on.

Still a lot of stuff to do. Like my wood veneer, 8-track, air conditioning, door panel, window switches and wiring. Neutral safety switch, autronic eye etc. etc...

Will see how the DBII will hold up, first 50 miles were great. Still noisy but that will take some time.

best regards,
Nicolas

DeVille68

Here are some pictures! Enjoy!  8)

DeVille68

some more. The front may need a bit more air pressure. Let's see

DeVille68

By the way: The pictures show one of the different places that you may be able to visit if you attend the Grand European 2015 in Switzerland.
http://www.cadillacclub.ch/GE2015/CLC_Grand_European_2015_Program_EN.pdf
I will be at the meeting - if anyone want to meet with me or see some hidden places, feel free to send me a mail.

see you there!  8)

Bill Young

Beautiful Car code 30 Silverpine green. I owned one with a sandalwood interior and sandalwood top.

DeVille68

Quote from: Bill Young on May 20, 2015, 10:57:40 PM
Beautiful Car code 30 Silverpine green. I owned one with a sandalwood interior and sandalwood top.

thanks. Yeah, color and the lines were the main reasons why I bought the car!  8)

DeVille68

Hi guys,

I am still looking for some correct seat belt cover for the rear. I need some in dark green.

I have attached a picture of some that I found recently: Are these the correct ones for my 68 Caddy?

(the seller labels these as 68-72 Chevelle, Cutlass, 442 etc.)

Thanks!

DeVille68

no one?

Where can I find this information?
Does anyone has pictures?

Thanks.
best regards,
Nicoals

dwbic

Hi Nicolas,
Let me look in my parts tomorrow and see what I can find. 
Regards,
Don
Don