News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Custom Schmustoms

Started by Quentin Hall, June 05, 2014, 05:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hey Q,
I've been trying to reach you on the Oz board. What kind of speedo gear do you need? Are you bringing your car to Wang? Are you even coming to Wang? Please advise.
Cheers, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Quentin Hall

Hi Bob, Sorry , I got a new job in a Brisbane restoration shop and it is full on.   I would have loved to catch up with you and go to Wang but work and my frenetic lifestyle might preclude it. I was kind of expecting Ross or Tony or Warren to email me and say we are all booked and going ( and no that isn't an invitation Ross and Tony or Warren.)   
   The speedo drive is one of probably 100 things that is on my list. The ratios will have been thrown out by my drop to 15 inch wheels.  I may have to pull the box out another day and readdress it. I used the tail and shaft from one long box and the housing from a short box so I really have no idea. Speedo drive from short box is too small for the long box. Shifts wonderfully though. So smooth.
   There seems to be two different gear drive dia. The one I need is the larger dia I believe.
   You will have a lot of fun and I know you are very well respected so make sure you have a nice jacket when they make you do a speech or present an award . . . or chug 3 beers in a row. 
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Q,
Glad you got a new job, sorry you can't go to Wang. I was not able to visit  Brisbane, the reef or Taz on this trip. Maybe next time. I'm going to Melbourne, the meet, the rock  & Perth. I'll take your advice & bring a jacket. Thanks.
Good Luck, Bob

Quentin Hall

To maintain the coachbuilt custom theme the  suspension needed to be lowered without falling into the trap of overlowering of many contemporary builds. The original rear leafs were way up high perhaps to facilitate three passengers across the back seat.
           I found some light commercial truck springs in a skip and they allowed the 5 inch drop I required. I was worried the ride might be hard.  I needn't have.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

Here is a very interesting historical perspective on the chopped top by Ric Hoving. Nice to see the Don Lee LaSalle included. http://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-cars/history-of-the-chopped-top-01/
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

Been a while since I had a play. Still a long hibernation of my projects but to cheer me up I got the 39 out to have a look dead on side view.
Also might clean up the carter carbs and work out a good arrangement for a dual exhaust.

It chuffs a little oil smoke once it warms up but I'm hoping that it might settle down once I get it fully drivable. Could even be residual oil sitting in the exhaust from when I filled the pots right up when I got it.
Nevertheless it starts and idles better than any car I've ever owned.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bobby B

Quentin,
I said it awhile back, but it's always nice to get your ego stroked now and then.....That car is going to be KILLER when it's done, so please find the inspiration to finish it......... ;)
                                                                                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Quentin Hall

I've decided that the rear fender skirts I made aren't sympathetic to the aesthetic flow of the rest of the car.
I asked Rik Hoving to come up with a digital rendering of a cleaner look somewhere in between what I have now, and 41 Sixty Special fender skirts.
Chip Foose has completed the Sixty Special that was begun prior to me getting my car.
Although our themes are similar the outcomes ate quite different.
I'm trying to stay closer to the idea of a coachbuilt prototype whilst the Foose car has gone for contemporary upgrades.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yours is a lot better Quentin.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Q,
A lot of these cars are looking more like mine all the time. LOL! Amazing. Please do me a favor when you're in contact with people that like these type of cars & mention that mine is for sale.
Thanks, Bob

Quentin Hall

Well Bob, it is no accident that there is a similarity. Your style chop harks back to the Don Lee car for Clark Gable as you know.
The California culture inspired some wonderfully stylish cars to influence the Detroit designers who were mostly young guys straight out of art school.
It is surprising how many big dollar customs a currently being built.
I may be at the other end of the financial spectrum but nevertheless it is always good to hear the approval of others within the hobby.
I'm surprised someone here hasn't  picked up your 41 custom Bob. It's definitely the million dollar look for a lot less.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Q,
I just need the right guy to hear about it. Any help appreciated.
Cheers, Bob

Quentin Hall

This pic turned up via my Scandinavian mates Rik Hoving and Bert Gustafson. It is a stunning traditional custom. Chopped, sectioned, frenched. Does anyone know any further details on it?
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Quentin Hall

We'll the information age is fast. I now know it is a Tom Black creation. He previously did another really nice dark blue 41 custom without the section or parade boot.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Q,
Is Tom Black the owner or the builder? He needs my coupe as a "mate". Anyone know how to contact him?
Thanks, Bob

HerbP

Wow...great digital work!  Love it when personal style meets classic look, hope to see the final project!
1940 LaSalle 5019
This stuff is FUN!
:)

Quentin Hall

Found these pics whilst deleting some out of my phone today. Nice to see it with the roof off again. Hopefully I'll get back to it soon.
How about this 41  in Sweden that is a tribute to the Coachcraft 41. Wow. Both these cars were derived from Sixty Specials.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

This is great. Jay and Michael Simcoe, he’s an Aussie too. How come to don’t know him?

https://youtu.be/LgMZDC-mK08
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz