News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Project - 1968 DeVille Convertible

Started by dwbic, June 15, 2014, 10:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwbic

New to the forum - beginning the restoration of a 1968 DeVille Convertible.  Planning to do a complete frame off restoration to this "rusted out basket case".  The link is to a brief slideshow of the initial disassembly - a long way to go, and I look forward to information and suggestions from this forum during the project. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5sbKbdZ8-k

Don
Don

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

DeVille68

Hey, thanks for saving this old caddy.

I have a 68 DeVill Conv - but in better shope. Luckily. I would not be able to perform a restoration such as this!
Good luck and strong nerves! :-)

Keep us updated

Regards,
Nicloas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Good to see that you have the room to be able to spread things out.

Can't beat good photos.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dwbic

Obviously there is a lot of body wok to be done, but the silver lining is that the car was driveable when I got it (drove it two hours to get it to my place), the drivetrain is in decent shape and about 90% of the electrical items are functioning!  Did I mention there is a lot of body work to be done?
Don

dwbic

The link below is to an updated slideshow showing the progress to date.  Since the previous post we have removed the front fenders and the interior panels.  Fortunately we have not run into any new surprises - just the struggle of removing 46 year old rusted fasteners.  In looking at the original paint color on the underside of the trunk lid (Ivanhoe Green per the paint code) a good friend of mine suggested an aqua color.  I see that Caribe Aqua is a color offered in '68, and for now have decided that the aqua with a white roof is the vision of where we're heading with this project - thus the photo I found as the opening slide in the photos. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-k6---Su3w
Don

DeVille68

Nice, very original. Does not look like someone ever removed the door or back panels!
Very nice, not like mine where some dude was making a mess inside.

You can get some inspiration from my thread here: http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=130360.msg270514

Regards,
Nicolas

dwbic

Nicolas,
In your experience, is there an easy way to get access to the screw in the door panel that is hidden under the front of the pull strap - I struggled with this - there must be a relatively easy way.

Don Bickel
Don

dwbic

Never mind - I see it now that I've done the driver's side - so obvious I'm embarrassed!  I must have been tired when I did the passenger side - also the passenger side had the screw missing from the rear of the strap, both were there on the driver side.
Don

DeVille68

Hi, sorry I just saw your post.

Ah yeah, there are two large screws in an angle at the bottom part. You will have to remove these to be able to remove the door panel.
Looks like your door panels suffered the same as mine - old weatherstrips. Then the water gets in and the pressed wood will wobble. As can be seen at the bottom where the carpet is wavy.
However, it can be fixed "quite" easily.

I will update my thread http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=130360.msg270514 soon with all the details. You might want to check it out. Or just ask then I can explain in more detail. Have a ton of pictures - if you need something.

Regarding the fitment  of you door panel on top: How big was the gab between chrome molding on top of the door panel to the glass?
Did the chrome strip perfectly line up with the strip from the panel of the backseat?

I am having problems getting the panel to fit. Sometimes in the past the panel must have been gotten out of shape - so be very careful when you store these panels that they do not get warpage!!!

Best regards,
Nicolas

P.S: There are also screws behind the courtesy lamp that I did not find first. Make sure that you remove them before trying to lift of the panel :-)

dwbic

Quote from: DeVille68 on June 27, 2014, 04:24:39 PM
Regarding the fitment  of you door panel on top: How big was the gab between chrome molding on top of the door panel to the glass?
Did the chrome strip perfectly line up with the strip from the panel of the backseat?

I didn't really pay attention to the fit, but here are some photos that best show it.  http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/dwbic/library/68%20Cadillac%20Panels

Quote from: DeVille68 on June 27, 2014, 04:24:39 PM
P.S: There are also screws behind the courtesy lamp that I did not find first. Make sure that you remove them before trying to lift of the panel :-)

How do you access these?  Someone had previously cut and spliced the wires, so I just disconnected the splice.

Don
Don

DeVille68

ah, ok. So your good to go then. One side was like that with my car. Apparently you should be able to disconnect the cable at the socket, but it will be quite hard to do, hence they spliced it. That is fine.  There is this screw sticking out at the bottom of the lamp through this rusty bracket. It should go into a threaded hole on a piece of metal that is welded to the metal of the side structure. See the picture below - the red circle. The yellow circles indicate other mounting points of the back panel.

You can access these screws by first removing the lens and then remove the two little screws securing the bezel. This way you could actually disconnect the wires better as from the top through the opening of the windows switch assembly. Once you removed the bezel the larger screw is accessible. However I found that this screw is not essential for the structural integrity of the panel or its correct alignment. So you might leave it out like I did now, since I have the remove the panel once again anyways.

It also seems to me that the guy that previously disassembled the panel "plucked" on it like crazy, and cracked the panel. As you can easily see in you picture.
My panel looked almost the same, had to repair it too with some fiberglass and epoxy.

Best regards,
Nicolas

dwbic

Thought I would post an update - I am one month into the project with a goal of completing the restoration in 12 months.  At this point I am on track with the disassembly - hood, fenders and trunk lid are off, seats and carpet are removed, interior panels are removed, front bumper, inner fenders and the radiator and its surroundings are removed.  Next steps planned are removing the dash, components and glass out of the doors/interior, and pulling the engine and transmission.  WD-40 and a breaker bar are my new best friends!

A short slideshow with photos can be seen here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxFd1NGzIcg

I forgot to add some music to the slideshow - will add that next time. 
Don
Don

DeVille68

Hi Don,

Thanks for the update! :-)

You some sort of an oil leak?
What happed?!

How do you keep track of all the screws and parts and stuff?
Do you label all your parts?

You said you want to remove the dash. I would be highly interested to know how to remove the dash since I still need to remove the wood veneer panel on the dash.
Would be great if you could point out to me how to remove the wood veneer without damage?

Thanks a lot.
Keep us updated :)

Best regards,
Nicolas

dwbic

Quote from: DeVille68 on July 13, 2014, 05:44:12 AM
You some sort of an oil leak?
What happed?!
The spill is coolant from draining the radiator - I didn't use a funnel and while draining the coolant hit the frame and ran everywhere.
How do you keep track of all the screws and parts and stuff?
Do you label all your parts?
For fasteners and small parts I have been putting them in Ziploc plastic bags and labeling the bag.  I use clear plastic storage bins with labels for mid size parts and just set large parts to the side.  I label the wiring and hoses using mailing labels and take a lot of pictures to be able to recall where everything is before disassembly.
You said you want to remove the dash. I would be highly interested to know how to remove the dash since I still need to remove the wood veneer panel on the dash.
Would be great if you could point out to me how to remove the wood veneer without damage?
I will let you know what I learn over the next week or two. 
Don
Don

dwbic

The dash (and in the process the steering column) is off - what a job!  I'm amazed how many wires, vacuum hoses and fasteners were used to put the dash assembly together - it's got to be the most complicated part of the car.  I am sure putting it back together will take 3-4 times as long at a minimum. 

Nicolas,
I put some pictures here:  http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/dwbic/library/68%20Cadillac%20Dash
Some of the pictures are duplicates - I'm not sure whether with or without flash shows things the best.  In looking at it, I don't see anything that makes removing the wood veneer easier with the dash off - looks like it would be the same to remove the veneer without removing the dash as it is with it off - but maybe you see something in the photos that is different - or maybe someone else who has done it before knows.  I don't see any fasteners related to the veneer or any back-side access. 

The match books and lens from eyeglasses were recovered from the windshield defrost vents when I took them off - apparently a previous owner was a smoker (from a while ago looking at the vintage of the match books). 
Don
Don

DeVille68

Hi Don,

Good job!  8)
You are making progress fast.

Thanks a lot for the pictures. Totally new insights for me. I kind of feared that there are no screws or clips or something. So the veneer is glued on to the metal casting? How could I possibly remove my original peace without destroying it?!

Does anyone know how?
Any experience?

Maybe try to gently heat the glue from the back side and try to peal the veneer off?
That may be only possible if the veneer is itself glued on to a backing.
Or will the wood just separate from its backing?

Will need to investigate further...

You did know that you had a whole in the floor?
Or was that a little surprise?

What is up next?

Best regards,
Nicolas

dwbic

Quote from: DeVille68 on July 23, 2014, 02:11:13 PM
You did know that you had a whole in the floor?
Or was that a little surprise?

What is up next?
Best regards,
Nicolas
I knew there was a hole in the driver's side front floor, but didn't know it was as bad as it turned out to be.  Looks like I have to replace both front floor pans and the driver's side rear - At this stage I my elect to do all (4) to put them at the same condition. 

This week I'm taking the windows and window motors out of the doors and rear seat area.  Next I'll pull the engine and transmission.  Getting near the end of disassembly - then the repair and restoration really begins. 
Don

DeVille68

Hi Don,

Quick tip for removing the window:
The manual says that you should remove the read guide and then loosen the two screws for the forward guide, which will then drop into the slot to allow the windows to slip out.
In my case it did not work. Was impossible to slide the roller out of the cam quide.

Much more easy and less stressful for you and the window is to remove the four screws securing the regulator to the door frame. Have someone grab the window and hold it in position (about half up). Then you can remove the four screws and when you undo the last screw you can hold the regulator with your other hand. Then you can just use both hands to slightly move the regulator backwards easily sliding the roller out of the cam. The person helping you can then carefully lift the window out. If you want you can even fix the regulator again with the four screws or slide the whole assembly out.

Install is the same deal. Have one holding the window, then you can just slide the cam of the regulator to the roller of the window. Then mount the regulator to the door frame while the person is just stabilizing the window and following your motions to screw the regulator to the door. After that, install the rear guide and your done. 

Hope this helps.

dwbic

Progress was slow this past month.  My wife's mother's health took a turn for the worse and she passed away in mid-August, losing her battle with cancer.  At least her pain has ended.

I completed removal of the windows, window mechanisms, door handles and locks from the doors and the rear seat panels.  I had to wire a circuit in my shop for the air compressor, which allowed me to use an air chisel to finally get the last mounting bolt out and remove the rear bumper. 

Update photos are here:  http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/dwbic/library/68%20Cadillac%20Glass%20n%20Bumper

Next is driveshaft removal, then removal of the engine and transmission.  After that I plan to remove the gas tank, followed by removing the body from the frame. 
Don