News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Project - 1968 DeVille Convertible

Started by dwbic, June 15, 2014, 10:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwbic

We completed the replacement of the door skins on both sides of the car - short video slideshow here:  http://youtu.be/25rOUqFMhOE

Now on to the front fenders - which should be the last component of the metal/rust repair!  Both fenders are rusted away behind the wheel well, including the inner support braces being rusted away, so we'll have to re-create those as well as putting in the purchased patch panel for the outer skin. 

Rebuilt the QuadraJet carburetor so it is ready to go. 

Don
Don

JoeKarasinski

DeVille68

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

cadman56

I have two 68 convertibles & a very nice coupe for parts.  I was going to do a frame-off on one of the convertibles, but after completing a frame-off of a 67 Eldorado (shown at Lancaster, PA GN), two frame-on restorations of 56 coupes, a frame-off of a 56 series 62 convertible, and a frame-off of a 47 Plymouth P-15, a body-on of my 91 Fleetwood Brougham, I think I should quit.  Good luck on your project.  Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

dwbic

It's been a lot of body work over the last couple months, but things are starting to come together now.  The frame and suspension are at powder coat and should be done next week. Once we put the suspension on we will mount the body for final fit and prep for paint.  The engine came back from the machine shop and the major engine assembly is done.  Attached are before and after photos of the engine.

Don
Don

DeVille68

nice!
Quite a difference!

What ignition system will you run? Original or HEI?

dwbic

Hi Nicolas,

I am planning to just run the original ignition system. 
Don

dwbic

This week I got the frame and most of the suspension parts back from sandblast and powder coat.  Started to mount the front suspension to the frame - still need to finish sandblasting, painting control arms and replace the ball joints in the next week.  Also painted the firewall and started undercoating the body. 

Don

DeVille68

nice!
Have you measured the frame?

Best regards,
Nicoals

dwbic

Yes, I have measured the frame - it is in great shape (unlike most of the body), square and level!
Don

dwbic

Finished rebuilding the front and rear suspension control arms with new ball joints and bushings.  Mounted the suspension and steering to get to a rolling chassis.  Re-installed the fuel lines. 

Then dropped in the engine, transmission and driveshaft.  Now it is starting to look like something again!

Don

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Great job. The hidden skeleton of a Cadillac is often more impressive than the outside.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

savemy67

Hello Don,

Your work looks terrific.  I viewed your slide shows on the rear quarter and door skin repair, and I am looking forward to your slide show on the fenders.  In one of the photos in your most recent post I noticed you have a Miller welder.  Which model is it?  What wire size and settings did you use for the panel replacements?  Keep up the good work.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Bill Young

Beautiful work. I see You are from Peru Illinois. My Father graduated from LaSalle Peru Township high School in 1936. My Grandfather John Young was the head of the Lehigh Portland Cement Co. Plant in Peru. As a matter of fact Grandad's name is on the School's brass plack as head of the School Board when it was built in I think 1928.

dwbic

My son is a senior this year at La Salle Peru Township High School.  I'll have to look for your grandfather's name on the brass plaque. 
Don

dwbic

Quote from: savemy67 on July 04, 2015, 11:02:56 AM

In one of the photos in your most recent post I noticed you have a Miller welder.  Which model is it?  What wire size and settings did you use for the panel replacements? 

I'll check that information and let you know. 
Don

dwbic

Quote from: savemy67 on July 04, 2015, 11:02:56 AM

In one of the photos in your most recent post I noticed you have a Miller welder.  Which model is it?  What wire size and settings did you use for the panel replacements? 

Christopher,

Here is a photo with the model & settings, using 0.023" wire.

Don

savemy67

Don,

Thanks for the info.  I have a Hobart Handler 140 (Hobart is made by Miller).  Did you experiment with wire size and settings or did you know at the start that 023 wire and relatively hot and fast machine settings would work?  Any issues with heat distortion?  I have to do some welding on both my front fenders so I appreciate finding information from '67 and '68 owners.  Thanks.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

DeVille68

Hi Don!

Very nice work!
Could you send me a link to your album? So I can download you pictures of the frame for my reference.

Best regards,
Nicolas