News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Project - 1968 DeVille Convertible

Started by dwbic, June 15, 2014, 10:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwbic

Quote from: savemy67 on July 10, 2015, 04:08:10 PM
Did you experiment with wire size and settings or did you know at the start that 023 wire and relatively hot and fast machine settings would work?  Any issues with heat distortion?

Christopher,

Sorry it took a while to answer your questions, but I am not a welder so I had to ask my partners who did the welding.  They knew from prior experience that the settings would be close, but did experiment with 0.030" wire before settling on 0.023".  No problems with heat distortion as the welding procedure was really a bunch of tack welds spaced apart to avoid distortion, then repeated until the parts were completely welded. 

Don
Don

dwbic

We rigged the engine to test it as a rolling chassis to address any problems while access is easy - before putting the body back on.  I had replaced the distributor (the old one was stuck in the block and broke in the process of removing it) and we spent a day troubleshooting what ended up being a condenser problem.  With that resolved the engine started right up.  The video of the first start after the engine and carb were rebuilt is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7FuYhfIdjw

The plan is to put the body back on the frame, do a final panel fit up and any additional body work to have everything straight and ready for paint.

Don
Don

mgbeda

Congratulations Don!  Getting the engine running the first time is a big step.  I bet it feels good.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

dwbic

Now that the engine checked out, it is time to put the body back on the frame and get everything aligned before painting.  One of the biggest parts struggles I have had is finding a source for the body mount bushings.  I ended up using some parts from a kit I purchased (from which most of the parts weren't used) and some modified mounts from Energy Suspension.  I had the sleeves from the top bushings turned down from 1.250 inches outside diameter to 1.180 inches to fit the frame holes and these worked well in 12 of the 14 locations. 

Next was completing the undercoating of the body - the Rubberized coating from SEM went on beautifully!

The body was then put back on the frame, body mounts bolted in place and the reinforcing braces were removed from the body.  Today we finished installing and aligning the doors and trunk lid - even check fit the fender skirts - it's starting to look like a car again!

Don

Don

speach

Quote from: John Abend on September 14, 2014, 03:03:31 PM
I actually make these veneers out of rosewood, die cut and finished.  I've been making them for years now and have been selling them on eBay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-Cadillac-Deville-Eldorado-Fleetwood-Wood-Veneer-Dash-Control-Surround-Trim-/221520956932?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Any chance you can make some with the metal finish like on the 67's?
Current cars:
1986 Military Chevrolet Diesel G30 Box Van
1968 Conv DeVille
1989 Toyota SpaceCruiser

You cant take your car with you in the end so drive the dang thing.

WilliamTrausch

speach

Looking awesome! I have a ton of work to do on my 68 as well. I love seeing the progress.
Current cars:
1986 Military Chevrolet Diesel G30 Box Van
1968 Conv DeVille
1989 Toyota SpaceCruiser

You cant take your car with you in the end so drive the dang thing.

WilliamTrausch

dwbic

Finished the fit up of the body panels today - had to mount the front bumper all the way up and back to get the correct gap between the doors and fenders, but it looks good.  Hood fit great!

Don
Don

DeVille68

very good! Congratulations.

P.S: Thanks for the pictures of the frame!
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

cadman56

Great work!  Looking forward to seeing it finished.  Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Blade

That's great that you guys are bringing this old lady back to life .... great work so far!

Bill Young

I have owned several 1968 DeVille Convertibles. You will be rewarded with a Car that has a superior ride and presence.

dwbic

For the past month we have been busy insulating a building where we recently started a custom car business, so we haven't moved the '68 any closer to paint, but hope to this month (November).  I put together a modular homemade paint booth (14 ft x 24 ft) so we are ready when the car is ready. 

I'll move some additional lights in when we paint. 

Even though the bodywork hasn't progressed, I did get the custom interior this month.

And this week I changed the color of the dashpad from black to blue. 

I also picked up a '68 Coupe deVille for parts that I still need - wish I had found this one a year ago!

The next update should be the car after paint!
Don

DeVille68

poor little Coupe!  ;D

Keep us updated. Regards,
Nicolas

cadman56

Did you replace the body mounts & if so where did you find thism?  If I missed this in your story please forgive.  Thanks, Larry
BTW, the car looks great, wish mine were this far along.

dwbic

Larry,
Here is the post re: body mounts.  Let me know if you want more details. 
Don

Quote from: dwbic on August 25, 2015, 03:46:30 AM
Now that the engine checked out, it is time to put the body back on the frame and get everything aligned before painting.  One of the biggest parts struggles I have had is finding a source for the body mount bushings.  I ended up using some parts from a kit I purchased (from which most of the parts weren't used) and some modified mounts from Energy Suspension.  I had the sleeves from the top bushings turned down from 1.250 inches outside diameter to 1.180 inches to fit the frame holes and these worked well in 12 of the 14 locations. 

Don
Don

cadman56

Thanks Don.
I don't have the body off just yet but what I can see I am hoping my rubber pieces will be reusable.  All the bolts came right out with no problems.
Hope I won't have to replace anything.
Larry

dwbic

It has been a long delay, but we have restarted activity on the car.  The cause of the delay was starting a new business restoring and customizing cars - had to work on other cars rather than my own.  Most of the activity was spent on a 1938 Pontiac.

Last month we shot the DeVille with high build primer.

Now another pass at block sanding then we will put on another primer coat and prepare for paint!

Don
Don

dwbic

Well, I finally finished the body work and got the car painted. I think it turned out really well.  The color is Caribe Aqua done in a basecoat-clearcoat.  After a week of wetsanding and several days buffing, I think it turned out really well. 

Now I plan to put the car back together without too many delays - let's hope so! 
I started with the re-chromed rear bumper. 

Don
Don

DeVille68