News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

cleaning engine on 1976 eldorado

Started by georgemagner, January 21, 2015, 02:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgemagner

How do I clean the engine on my 1976 Eldorado.
Gmagner

jaxops

Quite obviously don't hose it down but wrap all electrical (alternator, distributor) and your carburetor.  I always use minimal water with a small bucket to keep water away from vital areas.  Also a good soft to medium brush with long hairs is a good way to get in the tough spots without taking all of the skin off of your hands.  I use an engine degreaser or just a mild soap.  I never used oven cleaner because like George said, it will take the paint off...unless that's what you'd like to do!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Smedly

I have always just pressure washed mine, avoiding the alt. and carb. then fire it up let it jet hot to dry off. Never had an issue.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

n2caddies

Be careful with the oven cleaner as it will ruin the flash chrome finish used on the stainless steel trim found on many Cadillac. It will also ruin the paint on the engine. Found out the hard way on my 59. A good soak with simple green prior to a careful pressure wash works very well.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

The Tassie Devil(le)

One thing to remember when washing any engine down, especially when it is a Convertible, cover up the roof material so no greasy/oily deposits get splashed up onto the roof.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon