News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Repainting 1978 Eldorado valve covers

Started by 13912, February 19, 2015, 12:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The valve covers on my 1978 Eldorado are rusty & dull & I want to have them repainted- plus a lot of other clean up in the engine compartment- and am asking anyone who's done a valve cover repaint for any potential problems I may encounter or procedure steps I should follow taking them off- of course I'll replace the gaskets- but like all other projects that seem simple I usually run into issues I hadn't thought of. I appreciate any guidance on doing this properly.
Bob D

TJ Hopland

I really can't think of anything unusual about the valve covers on a 78 Eldo.   There isn't really anything in the big in the way, its actually pretty easy.   Just like any other valve cover if someone overtightened em in the past they could need to be straightened.   The grommets go into baffles so if the rubber breaks off it can be a little work to get the broken part out but off the car you can turn them around so gravity is on your side.    Same gasket 68-81(85) so should not be hard to find in either cork or rubber which ever you prefer. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason