News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1965/66 horn button restoration

Started by Greg McDonnell, June 05, 2015, 09:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg McDonnell

A friend and fellow CLC'er taught me how to restore the horn buttons from the '65/'66 Cadillacs.  Thought I'd share photos of one that was recently sent to me.  It was riddled with cracks running into the faux stitching.  There were even small chunks missing.  Although the stitching was not able to be saved due to the advanced deterioration, I was able to restore the surface and refresh the crest providing this '66 owner with a button he can be proud to reinstall in his steering wheel.  Attached are before/after photos.  If interested in having your button restored, send close-up photos to me at 66luxuryliner@bellsouth.net for a quote.   Greg McDonnell
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Davidinhartford

Wow!   What a huge improvement Greg!

Greg McDonnell

Thanks, Dave!  It takes quite a bit of time and patience to restore one of these.  Originally,the vinyl was heat shrunk over the foam-covered steel frames.  That was fifty years or fifty one years ago depending upon whether the button is coming from a '65 or '66 model. Needless to say, in that period of time, cracks can and do form.  The buttons are not being reproduced so, this is about the only option.  I always like it when I'm able to save the faux stitching near the outer edge of the button.  Of course, that depends upon the severity of the cracks and how far out they run.  Even if the area where the stitching is located is in too bad of shape to save the raised faux stitching, the button's appearance can be improved dramatically. 
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

blugg

has the raised stitching ever been able to be saved?   

I like the restoration of the center wheel cap.

blugg