News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 cadillac wiper motor fix

Started by Bob McMulkin, July 30, 2015, 10:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob McMulkin

I have a 56 coupe deville and need to fix the wiper motor cable..I am too old to be taking everything apart to get a new one through the firewall ...how can I do it without too much trouble?? thanks

J. Gomez

Bob,

Unfortunately there is no easy way of getting the cable out. The cable is attached to the wiper control on the dashboard.

1-   Disconnect the vacuum line from the back of the control on the dashboard.
2-   Remove control from the dash.
3-   Disconnect the cable from the wiper/coupler. There could be clips holding the cable inside the cabin.
4-   Remove the control.

Attached is a picture of one I just recently repair for reference.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

cadman56

Bob,
There is no easy way to replace it.  It is just a true pain.  I have replace 3 of them through the years.  I ended up taking off the dash pad and pulling the instrument cluster out.  I made sure to have a good working one in my convertible before installing the windshield and dash.  Just an absolute pain.
Good luck,
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Walter Youshock

If you haven't removed it yet, you may be able to tie a piece of string to the wiper end and then remove the control.  Tie the new cable to the string that you pulled thru.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Bob McMulkin

Part of the problem is the dashboard side to get into it ..
thank you for the reply

Walter Youshock

What does the shop manual say to do? 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham