Author Topic: Restoring the Mothership 68 DeVille  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Bentley

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #30183
  • Name: WBentley
Re: Restoring the Mothership 68 DeVille
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2017, 07:51:42 PM »
John,

My original plan was to replate only the bumpers, and polish all the other trim parts myself, since they looked like they were in pretty good condition. So I had a dollar amount in mind for the chrome. But while polishing the parts I found that the side moldings and the chrome fender skirt pieces (bottom, front of skirts), were too damaged for me to clean up. So I took them to the chrome plater. Also, the chrome trunk lid strip had a dent that I couldn't repair. So I bought a used one in good condition and polished it. These were the extras that I didn't plan for originally.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

Offline john henderson

• 65 barnfind
  • Name: john henderson
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2017, 08:32:04 AM »
just kidding Wes! Your project looks great! When I first saw my car I felt bad for it-from a distance it looked bad,flat tires,filthy dirty and sunk into the mud.I assumed it was a rotter,it looked like it had been sitting there for thirty years.We were installing new gas lines on the street and when I got the chance I got the owner to let me look at it and I was amazed it was rust free,perfect interior and the motor turned by hand.The owner wanted to donate it to charity!To get back to my point,he had some idiots yank the car(with froze brakes) from the little garage it had been in for thirty years-they hooked a chain on the rear center bar and nearly ripped in half pulling it out.We made a deal,and I took it home.The brightwork on the car was quite good,very good for a survivor,but when my chromer restored my center bar,the contrast was to much,I chose to do all the bumpers,headlight bezels,sidelights and grill trim.I got the car at a great price,so it was justified,but it shows a point I've always realized,that the chrome budget is always in pencil!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:48:09 AM by john henderson »
65 coupe 76 coupe

Offline Bentley

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #30183
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2017, 03:18:21 PM »
The car is finally finished. It was delayed for 3 months because of the windows. The glass mechanic could not get the driver's side front and right rear windows to go up and down properly. We cleaned and lubricated the regulators, and replaced the motors with rebuilt ones from Cardone, but the windows moved very slowly, if at all. We replaced the motors a second time, again using remanufactured parts by Cardone. Prior to installing them, we bench-tested the motors and the gears spun instantly. But when we installed them, we had the same issue - the windows would barely move. Finally, I found new (not rebuilt) motors from Fusick Automotive Products out of East Windsor, CT. We put them in and the windows go up and down like new. I can only conclude that the remanufactured motors work, but do not meet the factory torque specs.

During the media blast process, they body shop protected the convertible top area, but some of the media found its way down in there and scuffed the glass window. I negotiated a discount from my final payment to help pay for the new glass. I will replace the top with glass as my next project, but not until this winter. I want to enjoy driving the car until then.

We had our California June gloom drizzly weather this morning when I took these photos. Sorry about the low lighting.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

Offline Highwayman68

• 68 Fleetwood Brougham
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #29574
  • Name: Mark Demyan
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2017, 05:32:22 PM »
Nice color combination, glad to see the work was worth the wait!

Offline Bentley

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #30183
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2017, 04:23:42 PM »
Thanks.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183