News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hi from a first time Cadillac restorer in the UK. 67 Calais

Started by Cornishtiger, October 22, 2016, 07:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornishtiger

Good day people. I have just imported a 4 door 67 calais and I am about to begin some light restoration. The car was "restored" two or three years ago and to be honest they did a bloody awful job. Lots to do but its all fun right! I am sure I have a bunch of stupid question so please bare with me as I learn my way around the car. First Question is....recommendations for seat re-upholstery kits? The car has awful seats that need to be recovered and repro covers would make me happy. Sadly I cant seem to find a supplier for 4 door seat kits.

Steve Passmore

Hi Cornishtiger. I presume from the name your in Cornwall? Congratulations on the car. As for the seats, you might have to go down the road of getting them re-upholstered here. Even if you were to get a kit, fitting covers to a car of that era is not for the faint-hearted.  I re-trimmed a Ford of that age  year before last and it played havoc with my hands getting the covers on.
The correct material may be available.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

The best way to install pre-made upholstery is by leaving it out in the Sun to allow the Suns-rays to fully heat up the material before attempting to stretch it over the frames.

Hang on, you fellas don't see much Sun over there? 8)   So it might take a while. ;)

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Sorry, couldn't resist.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

BillR. CLC # 29203

Matt,
Maybe wrap  the upholstery in opaque black poly material ( the official name escapes me at the moment ) and as Bruce suggests lay it out in what sun you might have. I'd check it often.  Good luck and remember "the only stupid question is the one not asked".
Carry on.
Bill Rodwick
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

Cornishtiger

Hi and thank you for the replies. I am really looking for a factory finish if I can find it so a kit would be great. I have realised that this post is a bit non specific so I am going to ask the question again.