Author Topic: Cutting rust out of a 1971 Eldorado Convertible  (Read 830 times)

Offline boseephuss

• Name: Justin S
Re: Cutting rust out of a 1971 Eldorado Convertible
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 10:52:53 AM »
Hi  Bruce..The average Joe wouldn't have a clue whats involved doing this type of fabrication..I've done it for a considerable part of my life and trying to get paid sometimes make think is it worth the effort...sometimes I've started to do a minor floor rust repair and finished replacing the whole floor pan..firewall to trunk......

I really wish there was an opportunity for me to learn a bit about this and apply it to my own vehicle.  Alas, I am too scared to mess things up worse than they already are by just jumping in head first and find it harder these days to find reliable and trustworthy shops to do it for me.
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

Offline The Tassie Devil(le)

• Administrator
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #18992
  • Name: Bruce Reynolds
Re: Cutting rust out of a 1971 Eldorado Convertible
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 08:05:36 PM »
G'day Justin,

I thought the same way you do, but eventually I taught myself to do all the tasks I tackle now.

Building Hot Rods way back in the '70's, really taught me how to do simple tasks, that I always thought were hard.   Having very limited funds makes one have to do stuff yourself, and buying tools to do stuff with, you soon learn that having tools allows one to keep on doing stuff.

Initially, I was scared of working on brakes, but reading up on books, and watching people working gave me the confidence to tackle my first brake job.   Once the first job was done, and nothing went wrong, I moved onto the next assignment.

Yes, knowledge takes time to attain, which is why apprenticeships take time.   Learning to Become a Doctor of Medicine takes years before being allowed to actually touch a living person.

The biggest thing is to initially look at what is involved, then think about what it might take to do, and consider your own ability.   If you want to do it yourself, then gather up books, to read on the subject, and practice on disposable stuff, before deciding to tackle the main task.

Every Tradesman, Professor, Engineer, Mother, Father, etc, etc, was a baby once, and managed to learn how to become what they turned out to be.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Sometimes people want things sooner than they can learn, or don't want to get their hands dirty, and simply pay for someone else to complete the required task.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'55 Buick Special Post Coupe (LHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing RHH
(Past President Modified Chapter)