News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1965 Coupe deVille NO radio!

Started by D.Smith, April 17, 2017, 10:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.Smith

Not my car, just a lead.    No air, no radio!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/moncton/rare-cadillac/1243419071?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

The photos below were taken by my friend Josh Noiles when he saw it a while back at the Moncton Atlantic Nationals.

David Greenburg

And a CDV, no less. My wife's grandfather felt that radios were a frivolous distraction, and would either order his Buicks without radios or, if he bought off the lot, have them removed. Perhaps the original owner of this car felt the same way.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

D.Smith

Well being a Canadian car the lack of air conditioning doesn't surprise me.    I've seen many without it up there.    As for the lack of a radio?    Could the owner have lived in an area with poor reception and decided not to waste the money on it?

Or maybe he was just a Curmudgeon and cheapskate?

Dash looks nicer without out the radio.

Jeffrey Burland

I have a few of these delete panels and you have to remember, everything was an option back then. The Calais' were manual window, manual seat cars with no radio. According to one of the inflation calculators, the $165 for the factory option AM radio with rear speaker is equal to $1276 in 2017 dollars. Heaters were an option til 61?
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

Jeepers Creepers

The religion, Exclusive Brethren, wouldn't allow a radio either to be there either.

Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

With a few exceptions, all regular production Cadillacs would be equipped Basic Group A at a minimum in the normal course of production which included WW tires, EZ Eye, Heater, Radio and Dor Guards, unless specifically ordered otherwise.

Car would have to be ordered without Group A to make the radio disappear (and add back on any of the other desired items contained in the Group). 

Since equipping cars similarly helps to streamiline/simplify production, there was usually a discount given by ordering Equipment Groups rather than ordering (in this case) 5 items individually; chances are the other 4 items contained in the Group ordered separately having cost about the same or possibly even more(!) than simply ordering Basic Group A.

As a result, very few cars left the assembly line without radio and no doubt, salespeople would have advised prospects against having their cars so ordered.

The customer who got their Cadillac without a radio - for whatever reason - pretty much had to insist upon it, and wait for it to get built after handing the dealer a big fat check for a non refundable deposit.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Not long ago, there was another black 1965 Coupe deVille without a radio that was offered for sale through an auction.  As I recall, it was a very low mileage car.

The best explanation (albeit a guess) is that the first owner considered radios to be a cause of distracted driving, similar to what many people feel today about the use of cell phones while driving.  I can recall "old folks" telling stories about somebody's teenage kid who had an accident because he was fiddling with the radio when he should have been looking where he was going.  Most likely, some reason like that was the motivation rather than cost.  People who were penny-pinchers rarely bought new Cadillacs.

I agree.

Whatever the motivation, cost savings was not the factor.

Maynard Krebs

There were two clues for me that this was a Canadian car.

The obvious one was the name of the town, "Moncton".

The other was the combo of the black paint.. and no A/C.

I did once have a '66 htdtp S. d'V. with very few options:  light blue leather.. is all that I can remember now.

I'm not so sure I'd make the assumption the car was destined for Canada on the basis of black paint w/o air. Even by '65, air was still considered a novelty by majority of the motoring public.

Dan LeBlanc

For me, a/c is a must.

That said, when I worked for a Ford dealer back in 2000, you'd be surprised at how many vehicles we ordered without air, and how we never seemed to have any trouble moving them.

For the record, Moncton is only 100mi east of me.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car