News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Brakes

Started by CadillacGlasses, April 30, 2017, 06:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacGlasses

Hello everyone! I'm new here, but I'm working on a 1949 Coupe DeVille and in need of some help finding drum brakes for it. I've been scouring the internet for any leads to drums for sale, but haven't had any luck. The oldest drum I keep finding is a '52. Is there anyone who has worked on a '49 and might have a tip?

Thanks!
Mike
29645 - CLC West of Lake, CLCMRC Board Member

1949 Series 62 Conv. (in progress)

Alan Harris CLC#1513

If all else fails, there is a company called RG Relining or something like that that relines brake drums with new iron. I know that they are on the internet. A lot of people use them for the fancy Pontiac drum and wheel units and the Buick aluminum drums from the fifties and sixties.

I know your frustration. I looked for several years for decent drums for my Continental Mark II. Eventually, a pair did turn up.

There were a lot more late forties Cadillacs. Speaking of which, have you tried John Gately in Boston? He advertises in Hemmings and has been parting out old Cadillacs forever.

Jay Friedman

You can also try Joe Cutler, 49caddymanemail addresses not permitted, 508-476-3490.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Bob Schuman

You might try Midwest Power Products in Morris, Illinois, phone 815-942-0550. I have no interest in that company, but recently purchased an otherwise obsolete brake hydraulic hose from them, thanks to a suggestion from John Washburn. They were very good to deal with, shipped the proper hose the same day, and claimed to have brake linings, shoes, and drums for my 49 Cadillac. I was just asking about those parts for future reference, because a couple of years ago I had a very hard time finding proper brake linings for that car.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

49caddyman

Hi Mike:  '48-'49 Cadillacs are my specialty. I've been collecting parts for these cars for 30 years now and have accumulated quite a collection of items.  I have several '49 brake drums on hand.  Do You need front, rear drums, or both?  You'll find my prices to be quite fair, and I stand behind what I sell.  Feel free to contact me at 508-476-3490 or email me at:  49caddymanemail addresses not permitted   Thanks.  Joe Cutler

CadillacGlasses

This is awesome! Thanks guys, sorry for the late reply, things have been quite busy and I've had to focus on other parts of the project.. I'll contact you shortly Joe, I'm planning on converting the front brakes to disc and refreshing the rear drums. I'm pretty sure the internals of the drums are solid, just the outer drum has been cracked.

Midwest Power is great to know of too, thanks Bob, they're practically down the street from where we're located.
-Mike
29645 - CLC West of Lake, CLCMRC Board Member

1949 Series 62 Conv. (in progress)