News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

tires?

Started by ithaca1230, May 10, 2017, 08:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ithaca1230

lookin t get a new set of tires for 1974 fleetwood and was wondering if any of you have any recommendations. I looked on line and came up with very few options. L78-15 and 235 75 R15 were the sizes that came up. Wondering is any other sizes would fit.

TJ Hopland

There are other sizes that would work but none of them have any sort of white wall option.  225 75 15 would be about the only one.    Some of the more rural store brands like say Mastercraft still have a white wall option.   The only 'major' brand that seems to have one anymore is Hankook Optimo.   Both of those won't be the 'correct' width white wall and are a lower end tire.   After that you are looking at specialty vendors like Cooker or Diamond Back which start at about $150-$250 each. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

ithaca1230

I dont care for the white wall anyway.

EAM 17806

Quote from: ithaca1230 on May 10, 2017, 08:40:28 AM
lookin t get a new set of tires for 1974 fleetwood and was wondering if any of you have any recommendations. I looked on line and came up with very few options. L78-15 and 235 75 R15 were the sizes that came up. Wondering is any other sizes would fit.
I suggest you purchase this size tire (235x75x15, 1.6"ww) from Universal Vintage Tire Co, 1-877-454-3954 for $165.00.  They have good quality tires there and do not rip you off.  The 1.6" WW width is the correct WW for 1975-1980 or even older or newer. You can view their web-site and look through everything they have available.  I personally would never put any tire less than the 235x75x15 that belongs on your 74 Caddy heavy car.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

STS05lg

I would like to second Ev's recommendation of Universal. I have purchased multiple sets of 235-75R-15 for the fleet and the tires and customer service has been outstanding. Universal wraps each tire for shipping and then places two together with the white walls facing each other and then wraps the pair. The pricing is fair for speciality tires and again Universal is a great group to deal with. Lynn

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I have the Hancooks. No real problems and they were half of what the others were which fit my wife's ....... I mean my budget.
Not worried about treadlife. Driving 3k/year it would be 13 years before I hit the 40k they say they will last. Will get rid of them due to age before then anyway.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

EAM 17806

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on May 10, 2017, 01:35:25 PM
I have the Hancooks. No real problems and they were half of what the others were which fit my wife's ....... I mean my budget.
Not worried about treadlife. Driving 3k/year it would be 13 years before I hit the 40k they say they will last. Will get rid of them due to age before then anyway.
Jeff
What size and WW width tires are you talking about; are you referring to the 235x75x15 1.6WW we're talking about herein?  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: ithaca1230 on May 10, 2017, 09:47:07 AM

Exactly which white wall don't you care for?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

T J Lankes

ithaca1230

Thanks I will look at that site. I was referring to all whitewalls that I dont care for. I would prefer a black wall tire but dont care that much either way. Just want a good tire and the right size. Thanks again back to the search.

Blackwalls? On a 1974 Cadillac?  :o

ithaca1230

Its black and was gonna tint the windows and paint the hub caps middle black except for the outside and the crest. Just a thought

Carl Fielding

Hi William ! Do I dare hope there is another Cadillac driver out there who appreciates the no-nonsense , strictly business/performance look of black walls ? Great tires for someone who enjoys driving many miles over all roads and conditions , are high pressure (50 psi at max load) , low slip angle radial light truck tires. You can not imagine how well these old Cads handle when you put modern REAL tires on them. By the way , Coker tires are considered as SHOW tires on cars and motorcycles. I gather that you are more of a "GO" rather than "SHOW" kind of car guy ? Many years ago , I put a set of 44 psi tires on my '76 Fleetwood. Put high quality gas shocks at all 4 corners. Urethane bushings for the anti-swaybar , and used urethane air bags in the rear coils. With the ALS disconnected , you plumb the bags independently  , and generally run then at 6 - 7 psi or so. You can increase the pressure (25 psi max) , if you are carrying heavy loads. This is a low pressure , low volume system , so any little 12 volt pump will be more than adequate for adjustment. Even a bicycle tire pump , if you enjoy a rare opportunity to engage in very light exercise.

Little known , the very best current state-of-the-art radial light truck tires have recently benefitted from computer designed automotive performance tires. Asymmetric and directional technology has taken these 50 psi tires to another level. If you are a safety , or performance fanatic , these tires are worth considering. For the rest of you all who have yet again heard the sermon , if you have a FWD Cadillac and want to see what your FWD cars REALLY are , DO IT ! But you would have to be willing to pass on the WWs.

I have a habit of looking first at the most expensive , highest quality option when making a purchase. This surprised a tire salesman when I bought the very most expensive , exotic , high pressure (50 psi) , low slip angle performance tires for the front tires on my '93 SDV. He didn't think I needed to go to that extreme and suggested a mere 44 psi tire. No , I wanted the very best money could buy. Changed that mushy , squealing pig of a slopwagon into a high performance rally car. No other mods whatsoever. If you ever find yourself in an emergency situation where lives depend on handling , please hit the "pause button". Call road service , and mount up REAL tires , and then hit "play". Driving is the most dangerous thing most people ever do.

I have a 20+ (I'll have to check the DOT code) year old set of Michelin LTX tires on my '76 Eldo. I also made the same mods as per aforementioned '76 F'wood. If any of you want to go title for title through a slalom course , come ON !

Also have a set of 44 psi Hankooks on my '95 F'wood Br'm. I run 40 or so for nigh speed highway. Of course , with radials you have a huge range of operating pressures for all speeds/conditions.

Probably enough for now. William , you or anyone may call me at any time to discuss Cadillac or whatever. For now , here is a link to a well regarded source. I don't like raised white letter , so I mount them blackwall out. A trip to your local favorite tire dealer is also a very good idea. Have them read this posting while you pour yourself a cup of coffee.  Let us know how you make out.  - Carl

http://www.tires-easy.com/tires/235-75-15?filtering=,price/

EAM 17806

I don't care for the white wall anyway.
Whitewalls are what makes the beautiful appeal of Cadillacs since 1950-1990.  In all the years that I have gone to car shows I have never recollected seeing cars (1950-90) without whitewalls that were in the shows; however, TO EACH HIS/HER OWN.   EAM
Ev Marabian

The Tassie Devil(le)

I purchased Maxxis 235x75x15 tyres, and they really handle well.   About a 1" whitewall.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Carl Fielding

Oh , sorry William. (And any Cadillac fan) I didn't post my phone number. 408-621-8261 .

And a special thanks to EAM. Yes I have seen blackwalls at functions. I have a couple of them. If not for Mother Nature and Father Time , (God Bless Texas ! But the hottest part of the Summer ? I wouldn't normally want to be over 1000 miles away from Western WA , and OR that time of year) I would drive one of them to San Anton' for the '18 G.N. Maybe I will last long enough for a G.N. to come a little bit closer. I've got a fillin' it would earn ribbons and brass. I think it would blow more minds than just about anything else on the field.

To each his/her own , so to me my own would be the '50 61 coupe Briggs Cunningham and Miles Collier drove with distinction to finish 10th at LeMans. I have seen that car in pics and person. Strictly "Binnitch" ! Three on the tree , and IIRC , blackwalls. IMHO blackwalls on the BIG Eldos actually look more compatible with "the line" . Strictly "Binnitch". Although not the era you specify , EAM , there is a trend AWAY from WWs on Classics these days. Automotive industrial design went through 2 Classic Periods. Early Classic followed the Pre Classic period. Late Classic preceded the Post Classic Period. Particularly amenable to black walls are the Early Classic Period. For example take a good look at a Waterhouse Packard or Pierce Arrow of that Glorious Epoch. Also look at some of the Fleetwood or custom creations on early Cadillac 12s and 16s. You will see some reduced by WWs , whereas those shod in black have a distinguished elegance , stated definitively by an artists hand an eye. Flash "lifesavers" are gradually losing favor among Billionaire CCCA types. Now I am not trying to imply that '67 - '78 Eldos hail from either Classic Period , neither Pre , Early , Late , nor Post. But I think they are what 810 & 812 Cords would have been if they could have been.   - Cadillac Carl

D.Smith

D.Smith

When new a 1974 would have come with dual stripes.  Unless it was ordered with optional radial tires, then a regular single stripe was used. 

Here are photos of the correct dual stripes.  But if you are on a budget, get the Hankooks.   They are good tires.

Any pictures of a '74 Fleetwood (or any 74-75-76) with blackwalls?

TJ Hopland

Here is an online tire size calculator you can use to compare the original size which is somewhere between a 235 and 225 75 15 to what ever else you can find.   Usually if you don't go over 5% difference it will look and feel more or less the same.   Bigger changes could effect handling and or clearance.   You just have to see what is out there and then compare the size.   Some sizes that would be a match don't exist.    Since you have a RWD which has a common bolt pattern and backspace car and are not going for stock look maybe you can find some say 17" wheels that will give you the look you want and have a lot more tire options.     The 1/2 ton 2wd trucks uses that wheel till at least 2000.    Maybe the 70's and 80's truck style rim painted black with the chrome center cap and trim ring would get a look that would work for you?   

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason