News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What is a Biarritz?

Started by Tpicks55, May 11, 2017, 05:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Edge

The 1964 Eldorado information is off the main topic, but I hate seeing this misinformation continued to be propagated and will make one more stab at this. Here is some of the key documentation you need to be looking at, in addition to the reputable reference material such as Roy A. Schneider's Cadillacs of the Sixties (see page 100, there is a full page on the 1964 Fleetwood Eldorado).

Sales Brochures: The 1963 regular and prestige brochures refers to and illustrates the 1963 Eldorado as the Eldorado Biarritz. The 1964 regular and prestige brochures refers to and illustrates the 1964 Eldorado as a Fleetwood Eldorado, and goes on to explain that it is part of the Fleetwood body series.

Owners Manuals: The 1963 Owners manual refers to the to the 1963 Eldorado as the Eldorado Biarritz (page 47). The 1964 Owners manual refers to the 1964 Eldorado as simply the Eldorado (page 46), with the word Biarritz dropped.

Specification Manual: The 1963 Specifications Manual refers to the to the 1963 Eldorado as the Eldorado Biarritz (pages 3 and 120, 121a, 121). The 1964 Specifications Manual refers to the 1964 Eldorado as the Fleetwood Eldorado (page 1, 57, 57a, 58).

Dealer Data Books: As previously mentioned the 1963 Dealer Data book refers to the Eldorado Biarriz (page 26, 44, 44a, 45, 94, 95 and elsewhere), and the 1964 Dealer Data Book refers to the Fleetwood Eldorado Convertible (page 26, 27, 42, 42a, 43, 90, 91 and elsewhere)

The brochures and owners manuals were not introduced mid production year. Cars were delivered with owners manuals, dealerships would have received their dealer data books, brochures at the beginning of the model year, not mid-year; there was no mistake in dropping the name Biarritz in all of the 1964 literature; and there was no mistake in brochures and Dealer Data Books indicating that the Eldorado was moved to the Fleetwood body series.

I could go on and on, but you have to do your homework instead of relying on what Wikipedia says (I believe they are the source that says the new Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission was a mid year change for the 1964 Cadillacs..... WRONG!!), or "other references".

So as you move from the 1963 to 1964 model year, and everyone is familiar with saying the Eldorado Biarritz ... kinda rolls off the tongue doesn't it... people without knowing the details advertise it, copy literature over from the prior year by mistake (e.g. the one instance in the 1964 shop manual), but the fact is Day 1, when the very first 1964 Eldorado rolled off the assembly line, it was a Fleetwood Eldorado, not an Eldorado Biarritz.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Tpicks55

Wow, thank all of you on clearing up that confusion.  Tony
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Cadillac should have repositioned its two convertible models to coincide with the major restyle of the 1965 model year when it would have made much more sense. The move would have been all the more logical since the Series 62 line was replaced with the Calais series that year.

Alas, they did not and has lived on as another example of the quirky decisions GM sometimes made - without rhyme or reason - of which there are many throughout Cadillac history.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on May 11, 2017, 10:41:10 PM
What about all those dealers, mostly Cadillac dealers, in my attachment that advertised 1964 Eldorado Biarritz models?  They all incorrectly identified the cars back when these ads ran in 1964-65?  Is it possible that a model name change occurred during the 1964 model year i.e. there were some 1964 Eldorado Biarritzs initially?

No Biarritz in 1964. Period.

No doubt, those newspaper advertisements were written so the public readily understood the model being offered, the majority still unfamiliar with the name change.

Being that the Biarritz moniker was still relatively fresh in the public mind, it simply made more sense to eliminate confusion for the purposes of an advertising blurb - and save the explanations for later when the customer appeared at the door.

Great vintage ad assortment.

Just add a zero to the prices!

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on May 12, 2017, 11:33:41 AM
Being that the Biarritz moniker was still relatively fresh in the public mind, it simply made more sense to eliminate confusion for the purposes of an advertising blurb - and save all the explanations for later when the customer appeared at the door.

Yep, sure looks that way.  Similar tactics have been used other times too e.g., even though the 1987-92 Brougham was no longer a Fleetwood Brougham, dealers would still advertise it as such for "familiarity" sake.   Same over at Lincoln.  Even though the Town Car became its own model in 1981, it was still sometimes advertised as a Lincoln Continental Town Car.

Walter Youshock

...gee...  all that "baggage" probably HELPED sales...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

D.Smith

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on May 12, 2017, 10:13:30 AM
Cadillac should have repositioned its two convertible models to coincide with the major restyle of the 1965 model year when it would have made much more sense. The move would have been all the more logical since the Series 62 line was replaced with the Calais series that year.

Considering the Series 62 convertibles had deVille interiors (and equipment levels)  for many years prior to 1964,  I would have thought they should have been moved into the deVille line up years earlier! 

Walter Youshock

Agreed.  The deville was born from the 62 series convertible.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Walter Youshock on May 12, 2017, 07:27:51 PM
...gee...  all that "baggage" probably HELPED sales...

Perhaps but this was decades ago.

Walter Youshock

I do hope you're going to Nationals.  Can't wait to discuss Cadillac history in person!!!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Walter Youshock on May 13, 2017, 11:03:30 AM
I do hope you're going to Nationals.  Can't wait to discuss Cadillac history in person!!!

Cadillac's history also includes small cars with one-cylinder engines and model names like Model A, Model B, Model C, etc.  Perhaps you think they should go back to building cars like that?  It's part of Cadillac’s history after all.

What worked well for a company in the past doesn't mean it continued to do so or would work as well, if at all, today.  Just ask Smith Corona, Kodak, Blockbuster Video, Borders, etc.  Whether it be due to changes in technology, tastes, preferences or something else, companies sometimes need to move away from their past if they want to have a future.

Walter Youshock

I don't, however, it seems those types of cars would be more attractive to yourself.  Also, the examples you cite were the earliest Cadillacs long before it was destined to be a luxury car...

" If the leader truly leads, he remains the leader..."

Again, I look forward to meeting you in DC!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Walter Youshock on May 13, 2017, 12:20:22 PM
I don't, however, it seems those types of cars would be more attractive to yourself.  Also, the examples you cite were the earliest Cadillacs long before it was destined to be a luxury car...

Huh?   As I've stated before, my preferences as far as Cadillacs go are midsize and large sedans, or coupes (not crossovers or SUVs, not compacts), with names like DeVille, Fleetwood, Seville, etc but what I may prefer or be nostalgic about doesn't necessarily mean it's right or best for today's new vehicle market.  We're not in the 1990s, 80s, 70s, etc anymore.

Many companies have had wonderful histories as leading manufacturers/sellers of certain products (e.g., Kodak with photographic film) but that doesn't mean strongly sticking to that history is a wise or viable business model.   Technology, engineering, tastes, preferences, etc can change and companies need to change and adapt too.  Time doesn't stand still and companies can't afford to either.

Richard Sills - CLC #936

As Jason noted, there is a lot of confusion over the proper series designation of the non-Eldorado convertible, which was a "Series 62" in 1963 and earlier years, and a "deVille" from 1964 through 1970.  I have a theory as to why the series name of the convertible was changed in 1964. 

In 1964, Cadillac introduced Turbo-Hydramatic transmission for the deVille, the Fleetwood Sixty Special, and the Fleetwood Eldorado.  The Series 62 and the Series 75 continued to use the older version of the Hydramatic transmission, with the "P-N-D-L-R" transmission quadrant.  It would not have been appropriate for the convertible to use the older transmission, while the Coupe deVille and Sedan deVille got the new Turbo-Hydramatic.  Hence, the convertible had to be brought into the deVille series.  (This is just a guess on my part, but it makes sense.)

During all the years when Cadillac offered both a deVille and a Series 62 or Calais, I am not aware of any other instance when the two series used different mechanical components.

Curiously, the 1965 Series 75 received the new Turbo Hydramatic transmission even though it was a carryover 1964 body.

John Madan

I ts an Eldorado trim package most convertible s don't have it
2 almost perfect 1984 Seville s 1 is rare touring edition with every available option 1980 Classic Seville diesel that is being restored 1981 and 1982 Seville Roadster 1982 is beyond perfect 1985 base Seville 1978 Eldorado beyond perfect. I have done almost every procedure in the GM shop manual on the Seville if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me

dochawk

"Biarritz" customizations also seem to have been popular on the 90s Eldorado after Cadillac stopped shipping.

My '97 Eldorado ETC was sent pre-delivery to pick up a half-top, extra upper chrome, wheel chrome, chrome grill with vertical bars, and pedestrian site (err, hood ornament).

It was ordered by the sales manager for one of the local dealerships.  It then went in monthly for maintenance per its carfax.   Oddly, he didn't order the sunroof. (*sniff*).

I've seen many others done with different levels of quality, such as a '98 with window ports that don't line up with the rear windows . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

DG

We just purchased a 1961 Eldorado Convertible with original leather seats. The name plate says the style is 61-6267, and the Biarittz style number I found online was 6367.  However I can't find any 1961 Convertibles with leather seats that were not a Biarritz.  How would I know if this is a Biarritz or not? 

6267 is a Series 62 Convertible.

All convertibles have leather upholstery whether a Biarritz or not.

Upholstery design is different between the two models. (Consult sales brochures). Biarritz cars have "Biarritz" script on the front fenders, just aft of the headlight buckets. Series 62 Convertible has crests on the lower front fenders, just forward of the doors.

Biarritz has thin stainless steel trim along the the upper body crease along the full length of the body and continues across the upper lip of the decklid. 

Also, a number of accessories were standard on the Biarritz which were optional on the Series 62 Convertible.

Here is the door panel of a '61 Eldorado Biarritz.

This alone will help make the distinction at a glance.