News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969/1970 Clock

Started by Dan LeBlanc, May 11, 2017, 08:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

Looking for a 1969 or 1970 clock. Running preferred or non working in need of a good clean and lube with good coils are ideal.

Was outbid on two clocks on ebay in 2 weeks by the same bidder who now has them for sale in their ebay store for $400 (4 times what the winning bid was).  I won't mention the seller but if you search for 1970 parts, and find overpriced junk that's the guy. He has 2 ebay id's.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

chrisntam

I know the seller you speak of. You are spot on with your assessment.  You want a gasket for a door handle?  That'll be $275 + $50 shipping.

::)

On your clock, why not take yours out and have it converted to quartz movement?  Some don't like the quartz movement due the second hand sweeping smoothly, not one second at a time.  Not an issue for me,  had mine converted.

Why not send yours out for either repair or conversion?  I bought one on ebay a year or two ago, had it converted to quartz, the only downside is the wood grain color did not match exactly.  I do suggest you have your existing clock restored/converted due to the wood color matching issue.  If I recall correctly, the wood grain portion may be able to be moved from one clock to another, not 100% sure though.

I'll look to see what I have, I may have two, I'll let you know.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I converted mine to quartz. You can take the woodgrain off of yours and transplant it to another.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Dan LeBlanc

I prefer to have mine ticking - it adds to the cool factor for me 

Yup. Sounds like you found the same seller. Old untested brake booster and master cylinder, that'll be $300. Bloody heck, I can go down and get rebuilt stuff at O'Reilly with a warranty for $185 total.
Dan LeBlanc

chrisntam

This is what I have, the case is rusty and the knob is stuck on the shaft.  I think it came from a junker in the northeast.  I'd like to keep the exterior woodgrain, it matches the bezel I put in the car, but the knob appears to be stuck pretty good.  I would assume it is not working.

Pics below:
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

To remove the knob, you have to hold the shaft very tightly and unscrew the knob.

It will come off.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

Thank you for the advice, I figured it was a press fit.  I'll give it a spin and try that.

Thanks again!

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Dan LeBlanc

When you get it opened up, let me know if the two coils look burned, or if there are any broken wires to and from them.
Dan LeBlanc

chrisntam

Yeah!  We have both!  Burned coils and loose wires!

Thanks to Bruce & Dan for the tutorial on how to "unscrew" the knob and how to identify toast inside a clock!

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Dan LeBlanc

It's only slightly crispy on the inside!
Dan LeBlanc

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Dan LeBlanc

Snapped it up and should have it for the weekend.  I'll still clean and lube the internals, and add an inline fuse as well.
Dan LeBlanc