News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2018 XTS Leaked

Started by T J Lankes, May 12, 2017, 01:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Apple Caddy

Updates look decent.  I am glad Cadillac decided to continue producing the XTS instead of dropping it as previously rumored.   The XTS is currently Cadillac's bestselling sedan, thanks at least a bit to fleet sales.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Could it mean that the vehicle is going to be made in China, and not USA?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Apple Caddy

The XTS is already being made in China for the Chinese market but I haven't read anything regarding production plans or changes for the N.A. market.

smokuspollutus

I hear the Germans are shaking in their shoes. After this gorgeous presentation of pure American luxury, distinctiveness, and impeccable styling that attempts to imitate no one, Cadillac will run them right back over the Rhine in no time at all.

In other news, its now confirmed that Homer Simpson is chief designer of our beloved marque! 

D.Smith

Gee I don't know. It's starting to look too much like a Toyota Avalon. The rear lamps are ok. I just wish they wrapped them UP into the rear quarter into a bladed fin.

chrisntam

Quote from: D.Smith on May 14, 2017, 06:43:18 AM
Gee I don't know. It's starting to look too much like a Toyota Avalon. The rear lamps are ok. I just wish they wrapped them UP into the rear quarter into a bladed fin.

It's been said here before, automakers apparently are producing vehichles in about 4 or 5 basic shapes, this being one of them...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: chrisntam on May 14, 2017, 07:09:58 AM
It's been said here before, automakers apparently are producing vehichles in about 4 or 5 basic shapes, this being one of them...

Critics have been saying things like this with each era of automotive design essentially going back to be beginning of the automobile.  It's also why the feeling that some have had that the cars look too much alike goes way way back too.

The Tassie Devil(le)

If you look at all the GM makes each year, you would be surprised just how each model shares designs with the rest.

1959 and 1960 were a real "almost" Identical design.   Just a couple of different outside skins and Bumpers and lights.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

OK, I will throw in my 2 cents, for the fun of it.  Any front drive car except maybe the GM 1966-1985 longitudinal mount engine powered models is of no interest to me, and tend to know little about them.  I like what smokuspollutus wrote.  Anyway:

1.  The XTS is selling well, so why mess with success, usually when sales decline action is taken.  Although popular cars have also been discontinued (1996 RWD Chevy Caprice, Buick Roadmaster and Cadillac FWB).

2.  First impression - Nice looking car, but blah on changes - looks just like the previous XTS Cadillacs.  Understand I'm wrong on that, but it was just the first thing that came to mind.

3.  I rode in an XTS (2015 I think) and it was unremarkable, hopefully there is something to add excitement.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Sure would look nice with a real name on the trunk. I still have to look on my phone to see which one is the big one, etc.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Gene Beaird

FWD, really?!?

Like a freaking Honduh
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Gene Beaird on May 22, 2017, 11:07:20 PM
FWD, really?!?
The XTS has been FWD since it came on the market around five years ago, just like the DTS before that and DeVilles before that.  Cadillac has done very well with FWD vehicles.  Unfortunately, large sedans overall aren't nearly as popular as they used to be.

Quote from: Gene Beaird on May 22, 2017, 11:07:20 PM
Like a freaking Honduh
There's always the CT6 which is RWD..............RWD like a "freaking" Chevy Vega!  RWD like a "freaking" Ford Pinto!  RWD like a "freaking" AMC Pacer!

59-in-pieces

smokuspollutus,
Stop poking the BAC - you know he always rises to the bate.

Scott,
"The XTS is selling well, so why mess with success, usually when sales decline action is taken." - or maybe that was just your attempt at another smokuspollutus tongue and cheek comment.
Isn't that the very definition of - "it's too late", which in the case of Cadillac has led the brand to playing catch up..

Cadillac has slumped to the "me too" in everything, but most in "clone design".
Being reactive is not what you see in a winner, but rather being proactive - which leads the field and takes the market.

Oh! one more poke.
Do Cadillacs only exist in the CITY, or is that the marketing budget is so tight - and imaginations so stunted - that the commercials need to be shot outside the new headquarters in NY, among tall buildings.
I would think that there are a great many more places which are open where a Cadillac could run free to show off its speed and agility - maybe getting the pulse racing a bit.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on May 23, 2017, 03:19:07 PM
Cadillac has slumped to the "me too" in everything, but most in "clone design".
Being reactive is not what you see in a winner, but rather being proactive - which leads the field and takes the market.
Cadillac has long pretty much been a "me too" company, including during some of its best sales years in history in the 1970s and 80s.

The problem for Cadillac is the weak large car market (although they're still a top seller there) which once defined them and the market so much, and not moving more aggressively into the strong crossover/SUV market (where they do best right now, just don't have enough product but that's changing in the coming years).  If anything, they haven't been "me too" enough when it comes to crossovers/SUVs and that has impacted sales.

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on May 23, 2017, 03:19:07 PM
Do Cadillacs only exist in the CITY, or is that the marketing budget is so tight - and imaginations so stunted - that the commercials need to be shot outside the new headquarters in NY, among tall buildings.
I would think that there are a great many more places which are open where a Cadillac could run free to show off its speed and agility - maybe getting the pulse racing a bit.
You mean something like this?
https://youtu.be/s3zzYxEKMc4

Scot Minesinger

RWD cars drive better than FWD cars and that is why most luxury cars are RWD.  There are of course lesser cars made now and in the past that are RWD such as a Vega, but that is obviously not a negative, just as having four tires is not a negative.

Kind of feel like XTS is on the way out, so why invest much in it?  Only reason it is not discontinued is likely sales justify that it continue because some luxury car buyers want front wheel drive while others not-mechanically knowledgeable don't know or care, just want a large good looking Cadillac.  To me the XTS is a Camary with a Cadillac badge.

The XTS may be the staple, I don't know, just not interested in a FWD 6 cylinder car by any manufacturer.  The XTS looks nice.

The most successful luxury brands have the foundation any car guy would want:  V-8, RWD and longer wheelbase, such as but not limited to MB, BMW, Jag, RR, Bentley, Audi, and even Chrysler 300.  Cadillac should join the group.  The XTS restyle is a side step to keep the lights on while they make the brand exciting again - I hope.   

smokuspollutus

I personally love front wheel drive and would not buy a rear wheel driver as I live in New York and need a practical vehicle to travel around in in all weather. Yes, for the longest time there was nothing but RWD cars and people survived, but front drive takes away any second thought to driving in bad weather minus the usual precautions. A lot of people think in this vein, ie want to get from point a to b with the least fuss possible, but I get that I am not everyone so the brand should make something to serve as many people as possible.

Anyway, what I was so slyly trying to get at was that Cadillac is no longer at the front of the pack. Yes, they have always made pretty much the same stuff as what Lincoln, Chrysler, Imperial, Buick, Olds, etc. (thats not the abbr. for Eldorado Touring Coupe BTW), but the difference is that people would mistake those lesser brands for a Cadillac. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, anyone recall the 1980s when every car on the road looked like some version of the 1970s Seville? Or how about the Continental and Imperial both received 2nd gen Seville trunks? The 1970s, when the Toronado became a cheap rip of the Eldorado? 1960s when Lincoln copied the Eldorado to make the Mark III? The list goes on. Now we have the opposite, Cadillac leading from behind as their products are mistaken for lesser makes. I understand that with each passing year restrictions grow tighter which can give different brands a homogeneous look, but I refuse to accept that a car, SUV, CUV, or whatever can't be made by the marque that is unmistakably Cadillac in comfort, ride, durability and stature.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a d'elderly battleship that will keel over when attempting to turn, has opera lamps, wire hubcaps, or battering ram bumpers, just something that is a modern translation of what Cadillac once made. If it can't be a sedan, so be it. I think they'd probably close up the the sedan market if they made something that had the big car ride, quiet engine, no center console to restrict movement, seats that aren't akin to sitting on a surfboard, though. But I'm no marketing analyst, just someone who drives an old Cadillac because no one will make what I want, and listens to what his passengers say they like and miss about cars.

Scot Minesinger

smokuspollutus,

I only will drive an American V-8 RWD car and grew up in OH.  Since then never hesitating to drive in ice and snow, and 56 now after 40 years of driving never been stuck in my RWD car ever.  That includes my RWD 1978 Delta 88 with no posi or traction control, which probably was driven the most in ice and snow.

Probably will just do Uber if only FWD cars are sold.

smokuspollutus

Scot, I've driven my share of RWD junkers in snow and it is fun and haven't gotten stuck, or at least into a place I couldn't get out of. I wouldn't want to go back to it though since there is a better alternative for when you just have to get someplace. Cadillac basically owned the market of large front wheel drive luxury cars, and I guess by most metrics still does. As I said, they need to make something for everybody. Remember, we're also to the point now where there a lot of people on the road that have never driven rear wheel drive at all and I think it would be a turn off to them to say the least to have to consciously drive the car in bad weather. Cadillac is addressing this as I believe the CT6 does have AWD as an option.

I think what this all boils down to is Cadillac needs to make a unique product that others will emulate. As long as they make copies of what their competition makes, I don't think the expression "The Cadillac of ____"  will enter the common vernacular again.

59-in-pieces

BAC,
The YouTube that you posted, I have commented on in other threads - in which you have posted - is the kind of approach which is eye catching - heart racing - which triggers the "I gotta get me one of those" responses.
But, you don't see that commercial, even 10% as many times, as the cliche buildings - hum drum.

And make no mistake, all through the years - up until the sausage makers designed cars - Cadillacs were unmistakable, from the other non-GM marques.

You are not going to convince me that unmistakable design is so cost prohibitive - take the design elements from the prototypes, we have all admired and build them now.  I am speaking of the exteriors - not necessarily the interiors of a space age which may be an economic reach.
But, exteriors are the things that distinguish the car, and catch the eye.

It seems real change - I guess - wont happen until the sheet metal stamping machines have all worn out, or the vissionaries with the competing marques make their moves first - BAH! little black sheep, which are Cadillacs.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher