News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2018 XTS Leaked

Started by T J Lankes, May 12, 2017, 01:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on May 25, 2017, 01:24:23 PM
And make no mistake, all through the years - up until the sausage makers designed cars - Cadillacs were unmistakable, from the other non-GM marques.

You are not going to convince me that unmistakable design is so cost prohibitive - take the design elements from the prototypes, we have all admired and build them now.  I am speaking of the exteriors - not necessarily the interiors of a space age which may be an economic reach.
But, exteriors are the things that distinguish the car, and catch the eye.

It seems real change - I guess - wont happen until the sheet metal stamping machines have all worn out, or the vissionaries with the competing marques make their moves first - BAH! little black sheep, which are Cadillacs.

Comments about cars looking too much alike, which includes Cadillacs, go way way back.  It's a sentiment that seems to be repeated with every era of automotive design, usually by older generations or those who associate more with past eras.  Cadillac's issue today is not style as much as the changed market.  If large sedans were as popular today as they were 20+ years ago, the XTS and CT6 would be selling much better with the exact same style they have now.  During all those times when some were commenting that Cadillacs looked too much like Buicks which looked too much like Oldsmobiles, etc, GM was selling hundreds of thousands of them each year.  Cadillac sales are down because there is not the level of demand for large cars that there used to be, and they haven't moved aggressively enough into the popular crossover/SUV segment.  Cadillac sales will rise because they are offering more of the right types of vehicles for today's market more than any style changes.