News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

68 SDV tele/tilt woes

Started by taintedsaint, May 24, 2017, 06:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taintedsaint

Not new info for you experts, the dreaded 'broken signal lock cam' issue on my tele/tilt. Won't lock in right turn position, state inspector says it has to. Of course, searching for a replacement has yielded $200 > prices for replacement which could break first time it gets used. So question for the experts, can I swap in a no-tilt column? Any other large body GMs with tele/tilt I could hunt down for repair pieces? Car is an original 18K mile survivor and it pains me to remove pieces but my back is against the wall on this one.
I truly appreciate ANY type of input.

Nokesville, VA 20181

Dave Shepherd

Pretty sure a same year column will work, but could be hard to find. Maybe someone has an old Hollander exchange book that would have the crossover info.

chrisntam

So a turn signal switch for a '68 with tilt & tele is not readily available?

Seems like a column would be more expensive than a replacement switch.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Dave Shepherd

Well that would make sense, gotta do your due diligence and hit the internet to find that switch, Caddydaddy, Usa auto parts, just keeping searching.

bcroe

Quote from: taintedsaintNot new info for you experts, the dreaded 'broken signal lock cam' issue on my tele/tilt. Won't lock in right turn position, state inspector says it has to. Of course, searching for a replacement has yielded $200 > prices for replacement which could break first time it gets used. So question for the experts, can I swap in a no-tilt column? Any other large body GMs with tele/tilt I could hunt down for repair pieces?   

Huh, I thought tilt columns used the same turn signal switch as non tilt.  What
might vary is the turning light function not on most cars.  Probably a simple
switch without this would get you function without luxury. 

My experience is that all high end cars have tilt; the telescope is optional.  I
use neither and have installed fixed columns in all except the Eldo, can't find
one.  The telescope columns are far harder to work on, for me.  Bruce Roe

Scot Minesinger

Call Cadillac King in CA they should have the column part you need.  A tilt/tele. column makes the car more valuable.  Any 1965 and newer Cadillac without tilt/tele. column, trunk release, and twilight sentinel I add in.  Got to have those options.  Changing out a column is more difficult - think about refinishing to match - those are all color matched - not all black like a 69/70.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

I think he just needs the switch.  But installing it is a lot more difficult in
a telescoping column.  Swapping columns isn't hard between the same
type car, but getting the color and wheel to match is another thing.  For
several good reasons, my 79 Eldo has a 79 Riv column that was removed
from a 79 Toro; doesn't match, but it works. 

My guess is that the turn switch from any 79-85 Eldo/Riv/Toro would solve
the problem, including turn lights.  Bruce Roe

D.Smith

The 68 turn signal switch with T&T is different than the non-T&T switch.   

Replacements are long gone.   This is a common failure on 68s with T&T. 

bcroe

Quote from: D.Smith on May 24, 2017, 11:45:06 PM
The 68 turn signal switch with T&T is different than the non-T&T switch.   

Replacements are long gone.   This is a common failure on 68s with T&T.
Sorry to hear, my guess is just wrong; no later equipment can be adapted.
Bruce Roe

D.Smith

cadillactim

The non tilt switch is completely different. Only 67-68 will work (T-T). Often you can replace the cam. I've rebuilt many of these switches. In some cases the plastic on the switch housing was worn too bad to be rebuilt. But since yours is a low mileage car yours is probably okay as long as there was no arcing causing part of the plastic to melt.

You can install a non tilt column, but they have the same cam breaking issue, just a bad design for those two years. However you can get replacement non tilt switches.

Tim
Tim Groves

D.Smith

Quote from: cadillactim on May 25, 2017, 07:20:24 AM

You can install a non tilt column, but they have the same cam breaking issue, just a bad design for those two years. However you can get replacement non tilt switches.

Tim

Caddy Daddy has reproduction non-tilt switches.     Which is odd as you'd think more cars were ordered with T&T.    I would have reproduced those first.

klinebau

Is the switch the same as the '70?  The tilt/tele turn signal switch is available for the '70 at Rockauto.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

D.Smith

Quote from: klinebau on May 25, 2017, 09:36:15 AM
Is the switch the same as the '70?  The tilt/tele turn signal switch is available for the '70 at Rockauto.

Nope.   Fits two years only.

m-mman

For what it is worth Saginaw sold the T&T columns to Chrysler during those same years and Imperial owners suffer the same problems. (issues discussed regularly at http://www.imperialclub.com/ )

As I remember the basic problem stems from having the switch is located not behind the steering wheel but further down the column(?) 
Early experimentation with T&T columns resulted in a bad design.

How often are you inspected? Perhaps you could temporarily install a fixed column that works. (it shouldn't cost much and the color wouldn't mater) and then swap back to the T&T later?
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

taintedsaint

I appreciate ALL the replies to my post. I have tried CaddyDaddy, Cadillac King, and lists of others. Talked to every hot rod column maker (ididit etc.) and several builders (Dave Kindig). They are all aware of the unique cam which has barbs on it that hold the signal in place until wheel returns to neutral position and the cam is WAY different than non-tilt. ANd yes, it is a bit farther down column as well. We have annual inspections so swapping back and forth would get to be a pain. I'm hoping inspection tech may let it slide. Short of any other fix, I plan to pull column and swap in either a non-tilt or an aftermarket so the car is driveable and then dive-in to the possibility of having the cam 3D scanned, modeled and perhaps manufactured. I found ONE of these cams on Ebay last week for many hundred dollars and again, it could fail first time out. I do appreciate everyone's input immensely. Interchange manuals show it only swaps with 67 SDV but I have to believe there is antoher GM vehicle with the same cam even if the entire column isn't the same. The hunt will continue as I am now on a mission from the Caddy gods. ;D
Nokesville, VA 20181

bcroe

Quote from: taintedsaintShort of any other fix, I plan to pull column and swap in either a non-tilt or an aftermarket so the car is driveable and then dive-in to the possibility of having the cam 3D scanned, modeled and perhaps manufactured.

The hunt will continue as I am now on a mission from the Caddy gods.

Making a new part is always a possibility, if someone can and will take all the
trouble to do it.  You might find quite a demand for it.  good luck, Bruce Roe

David King (kz78hy)

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

cadillactim

You can get replacement cams. You want the RED cam, the white ones aren't good quality. I believe the company is     S & M who makes them. You want the SM-15 cam. There might be one on ebay.

Tim
Tim Groves