News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Coolant under Carb-intake manifold

Started by Chuck Swanson, May 26, 2017, 09:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Swanson

65 Eldorado.  My Carter carb was leaking at the throttle body (rebuilt this one a couple yrs ago), so removed to replace with another rebuilt one I have.  However, I noticed some coolant at bottom of intake-see pic.  Is this typically the intake manifold gaskets?  I do have a spare intake all blasted and painted, so I was going to swap out in case any crack.  Not loosing much antifreeze.  It was an inch low in radiator.  Not noticing any milky residue in oil.  Car was intermittently smoking (exhaust)  a little more than usual lately.  Have put around 3000 miles on this car over last three years after buying out of long term storage.

On the carb, I have had to pour gas in the carb if it sits for more than 24 hours, so most likely the leak in throttle body causing that too?  I see white residue (around 3x3"-see pic) just below leak, by pipe that goes to intake where it probably was leaking for a while. 

Also, I found out that the nipple on front of bakelite thick spacer is only for cars w/o AC.  My PCV valve hose is connect to this in front of carb.  AC disconnected on my carb, but regardless, should this be a spacer without nipple.  I have plenty of spares, so would like to put the correct one on, and route the PCV correctly.  Anyone know correct spacer?

Thanks, Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Chuck,

The only communication path I can think of is from the cooling passages in the head near the crossover port into the manifold. It has positive pressure flowing toward the manifold that could move liquid or vapor from the head  into the manifold. I would remove the manifold and inspect the middle port in both heads for signs of a crack/leak. In the worst case you may have to pull the heads and look at the port/water passage seal area on the head and block. There is also a remote chance that the heater control valve is leaking into the Climate Control vacuum circuit and into the manifold via the “T” port on the back of the manifold.. Inspect  the associated hoses for evidence of coolant.

The Bakelite insulator under the carb should have the port which is the PVC  valve connection site. The connection is from the crankcase vent on the valley pan under the manifold via vacuum hose to the insulator port. That was the standard connection for PVC inlet beginning with the new 390  engine in 1963. …….that may be ’62 for some California cars.

HTH,

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

If you have coolant in the intake manifold you may indeed have some major issues.  From what you said about loss of gasoline (out of the carb) and the connection to the PCV at the carb base, be sure what you are seeing is not just a mixture of oil (from the vapor) and gasoline.  As far as the excessive exhaust smoke that again could bee excessive blow by mixing with the gasoline and burning.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Chuck Swanson

Took of the intake manifold today.  Actually looks great.  Inside the heads very clean, which confirms previous owner stating heads were rebuild years ago, but hardly any miles on top end rebuild.  No indication of any cracks, of course could still be if pulled heads, but oil hasn't been changed in 2000 miles and looks great.  No milky residue anywhere.

However, I did notice a substantial puddle of antifreeze under distributor.  I replaced the water pump 2 yrs ago, and I though I got rid of this leak by tightening bolts, but it looks like it is back.  I used torque wrench on all the bolts, but I had to go back and tighten all after driving, as was too loose.  I was going to tighten up the crossover, and bolts again, put intake manifold back on, and check again in a few weeks (yank carb and check).   This puddle only started to appear after I changed water pump.   The fluid could be spraying out somewhere while driving and somehow making it's way into intake  Two of the bolts were not that tight on intake, and I lifted it off easily after removing all bolts...typical I need to use a little muscle to pop off..not much, but this came off very easy.   Any theories on making it from the puddle under distributor to intake?  :)  Thanks, Chuck

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

59-in-pieces

Chuck,
I don't know zip about 65's except I drove my father's a bunch, after he bought it new from the "Motorama" of the time. here in L.A., CA.
However - shot in the dark - do the heater hoses run from the water pump to the heater core at the rear of the engine, behind the firewall.
If so, I have seen on my 59 Eldos that the hoses can get chapped running along the valley pan if not clamped down in the middle, and could - if not replaced - get a pin hole, after work on the heads or intake.
Just a thought - and an easy and cheap fix.
Have fun,
Steve B.

PS, how about the upper radiator hose and clamp to the water pump, thermostat housing if any.
S. Butcher

Chuck Swanson

Thanks for the tips.  Looking again, I have an old school wire clamp on heater hose behind tstat housing, so could be leaking from there too (replaced all hoses two years ago).  Also, I have the heater core bypassed, so the two heater hoses on firewall are bypassed (coupled together).  The coupling is high on the firewall, at top, so that could be spritzing out fluid too.  I noticed one of the hoses has a kink. 

If I do have leaks, they are minor, as the radiator is only an inch or two low, and I have a makeshift overflow tank.  Thanks, Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T