News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2017 Cadillac Convertible (or not)

Started by 30326, June 12, 2017, 10:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was searching the web for "2017 convertibles" and got this one.

https://youtu.be/1ga_EOVBc6k

or this one:
https://youtu.be/UpHNJ9vtzV0

Cadillac really can make tempting videos...

And yes, I know it ain't gonna happen. And yes we been down this road before. But I don't see why the only maker of a good size convertible for comfortable driving has to be located in Germany.

Steve Passmore

Why oh why do they never follow through and produce these fantastic concept cars? Do they think the public is not ready for them?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

James Landi

Steve --

In response to your "why oh why" question, I have owned a 1985 Eldorado convertible, an Allante, and now an XLR-- they had very low production numbers, they were expensive, and were generally not well received by the auto critics.  My latest "dream car"--- a 2007 XLR sold for over 80K and I just purchased it for under 30 K with fewer that 28,000 miles... I think you can see why GM is not interested in producing another Cadillac convertible any time soon, or if ever again.    Happy day,  James

Cadillac XLR was a roadster. There lies the problem. It doesn't seat enough. Mercedes have several 4-5 seat cruising type convertibles. BMW and AUDI as well. These are not sport cars like Mustang or Camaro, these cars are just normal sedans where the roof can be removed. Does any US maker build a 4-5 seat sedan convertible style car? I think not. But its a huge market in Europe and I can not understand why its not in the states.

Scot Minesinger

Agree if Cadillac makes a convertible it needs to seat 4 and include a decent drivetrain (RWD, V-8). 

The 1984 & 85 Eldo convert were made when I was in my 20's and had already driven a 4.1 V-8 and so had absolutely no interest.  The Allante and XLR only seat 2. Not to mention that the Eldo and Allante were front drive.  James is 100% right - these all not only were undesirable to many, but also expansive.  If Cadillac makes a 4 seat convertible w/decent leg room in back and a RWD V-8 for under 100k, it will be in my garage.  Cadillac just re-skin/rebadge a Camaro SS convert, stretch it with the V-8 drive train - and done - sign me up.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

59-in-pieces

For all of you who yearn for a 4 passenger convertible, I am so with you.
That CIEL is spectacular - I want one.
My XLR is for a totally different driving experience - and I love the racy sport of it.
My Biarritz(s) are 4-5-6 occupant convertible cars (back when folks were skinnier) - luxury cruisers.
They make the CIEL - I'm there.
If they made it in a 4 door, 4 passenger sedan - I'm there.
As I have said many times, I'm not one of those who buys a car as an investment, and certainly not a new car.  I buy them because I want to enjoy them.  And, I don't give one hoot or lament that the XLR was 80K and now 30k - its the pleasure it brought to me along the way.
IMHO.
Have fun,
Steve B.

PS - The video of the CIEL in action along the coast, is how you make a gr8 commercial (no boundaries, actions commanding the viewer's eyes to follow)- NOT driving at grandma speed (no offense grandma) in a tall building shabby looking oppressive environment - no where for the car or the driver's imagination to run free.
S. Butcher

Bentley

Back in the early 2000's, I worked at the ad agency that handled the Lincoln account. The Lincoln design team had just created a concept car based on the '66 4-door convertible. The car was beautiful. Everyone loved it. It never made it to production.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183