News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Does anyone have love for late 80's Cadillac

Started by Uhegej, May 27, 2017, 03:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uhegej

I have been looking and reading through the forum and is seems very few people have late 80's models! I just got a pretty good project car, my first an 1988 Fleetwood, looking for advice, new to this. Will post picture of it later.
John Hegedus

1979 Fleetwood Brougham

smokuspollutus

I do! The downsized unibody cars are more like today's modern cars wrapped in older features. To me that is the best of both worlds, but to a lot of people they really aren't their cup of tea. Side by side a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham and 1985 Fleetwood FWD are totally different, though they are the same age, the FWD is way newer and you can tell.

Thankfully Cadillac cursed them with "da 'luminum mota" as I have heard it referred to and prices are cheap even for low mileage beauties. . I have been looking for a late 80s/early 90s car to supplant my 84 so I can drive a Cadillac in the winter. Unlike the "old" stuff, the unibodys don't rot in the same way, or nearly as badly. In the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, there were no 20 year old cars without rotten door bottoms, holes in the quarters, or flaky rear frame rails. Even here in NY, you can't go too far before you see a vertical rooflined Sedan deVille still eating up the road looking good.

My favorite parts though are the ride and the interior. They drive just the same as a 2000-whatever generic bean (under the skin they're mostly the same) but retain the isolation and comfort that we appreciate from the past that is absent in modern cars. Always been a fan of the dashboard which was very driver-centric.

Defiantly some problems from the window regulators and the armrests, and water pumps are a major PITA, but by in large the car itself ages totally differently from the older models.

Good luck!

Uhegej

Picture as promised
John Hegedus

1979 Fleetwood Brougham

James Landi

ANother Plus is the 4.9 engine linked to the much lighter body style...I have not heard of frequent complaints on the engine and transmission combo

jock82

I have an 89 Sedan de Ville since Oct 89, one of the best cars I have ever owned.  Has been very reliable and very minimal problems mostly things that would normally wear out, shocks,  brakes, etc.,  just replaced wheel hubs, (first set from original_Very roomy and comfortable car. 

Guy R Moore
CLC#12650

1976 Olds 98 Regency
1982 Ford F-100 pickup
1989 Sedan de Ville
1994 de Ville Concours
2009 DTS Performance
1989 Sedan de Ville
1994 Concours
2009 DTS'
1976 Olds 98 Regency

Guy Moore CLC# 12650

mistertudball

Ever since renting an '88 Eldo in Texas when it was new, I was impressed with its comfort, performance and, believe it or not, fuel economy.  I'd probably want a Seville from the late 80s, very early 90s for air bags and antilocks but am a little scared of the Northstar.  Still, they do pop up fairly cheaply and occasionally with very low miles so I might do it yet.  People made fun of the downsized Caddys then but I think they're rather attractive.
David Bartosic CLC19619

Big Apple Caddy

I like the 1980s FWD DeVille/Fleetwood, including the earlier versions.  At the time, I found them more appealing as they were more modern and contemporary than the RWD models.  The new FWD DeVille and Fleetwood were marketed as the "Cadillac of Tomorrow" when they were introduced in 1984.

I also like the downsized Eldorado (at least after its 1988 restyle/improvements) and Seville although prefer the previous generation Eldo/Seville.

Uhegej

Went for a ride in the park today! Took a few pics with iPhone. Beautiful day for a drive.
John Hegedus

1979 Fleetwood Brougham

dochawk

My daughter just picked up an '89 Eldorado to replace the DeVille [insert moment of silence here].

It's very much a $1,000 car, and I'll spare you the pictures :)
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Rich S

My parents had an '89 Eldorado Biarritz (ordered it new) and they were long-time Cadillac owners, and it was a great car. It rode very nicely, it had high build quality and it was a great size--and it included the "luxurious" Cadillac feel inside--with little extra "touches." The carpet was simulated mouton, the tufted leather seating was soft and high-grade leather and there was burled maple wood appliqués on the dash and console, and even the turn signal had a "chime" rather than "clicking" sound! It was White Diamond exterior (introduced for Spring selection in '89) and it had a White Cabriolet Vinyl Roof (with Opera Lamps) and and Antelope Leather Interior, and the lacy brushed aluminum wheels with Vogue tyres and a Brown, mirror-tinted Astroroof. I recall the rear seatbacks had pockets with flaps that closed by Velcro, and the trunk was roomy. The sculpting of the hood and bladed fenders, traditional Eldorado touches, along with the lamp monitors, gave a really nice view out over the hood (for the '88 through '91 Eldorados).
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Alex053

1957 Coupe Deville - Mountain Laurel with a white roof

dochawk

Quote from: Rich S on June 10, 2017, 10:07:39 PM
It was White Diamond exterior (introduced for Spring selection in '89) and it had a White Cabriolet Vinyl Roof (with Opera Lamps) and and Antelope Leather Interior, and the lacy brushed aluminum wheels with Vogue tyres and a Brown, mirror-tinted Astroroof.

This one is all black, with leather seats and a textured roff that extends along the op of the rear fenders.

Would have been lovely in its day . . . supposedly purchased from the second owner.
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Art Director

I used to own a 1988 Sedan de Ville. Loved the styling, how the car drove, the comfort, but the repair bills were another matter. Lost the transmission at only 139,000 miles and sold it for $250 to a salvage yard.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold