News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

No fuel on a '72 after other work

Started by dochawk, May 28, 2017, 12:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dochawk

grr.

No dice.

I put it in hole down, reconnected everything, and it still doesn't do it.

I guess I'll try without the filter to see if it still pumps into a recovery dish tomorrow, but I'll have to jack it up for that.

And I thought I was going to get a short drive today  >:(

Could someone please confirm the correct direction--hole on filter into pump, or out (i.e., is intake through the paper and out through the hole, or vice verse.   It seems that the hole needs to face the output of the pump.
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Here is a picture of my fuel pump.

If I am correct, the hoses are different sixes.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dochawk

Thanks.

I indeed have three different size hoses on it.

The burning question, though, is which way the fuel filter *inside* the pump goes.
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Is the pump arm on the cam gear correctly? If you unhook the lines and stick your finger over one and crank the engine do you feel it sucking?
I think you can run that pump without a filter for testing purposes
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

dochawk

The pump definitely draws; I linked to the video on the first page (http://dochawk.org/caddie/pump_works.m4v).

The car has travelled several miles with this pump in place.  I went into a filter-changing binge after replacing the water pump.

The best candidate at the moment is the pump filter being installed wrong.

Glen

Quote from: dochawk on July 03, 2017, 12:05:05 PM
The burning question, though, is which way the fuel filter *inside* the pump goes.

According to the ’72 shop manual (page 6-80) the filter should be installed with the open end of the filter seated inside of the nut.     

HTH
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

dochawk

Quote from: Glen on July 04, 2017, 02:15:20 AM
According to the ’72 shop manual (page 6-80) the filter should be installed with the open end of the filter seated inside of the nut.     

*d'oh*

The number of times I've looked in the shop manual while doing this, and it didn't occur to me that *that* would be there . . .

On the bright side . . .

After attaching line at every step, and testing with and without the filter . . . gas pumped, but still no start.

Only *then* did it occur to me that the filter at the carb could be directional, too . . .

And, sure enough, after having to dismount the carburetor and choke to undo that bolt (in *what* world does that setup make sense???  I suppose it would be easy without the compressor in the way . . .), remounting the carb, battling the vacuum hose from the carb to the dashpot  . . .

It starts.

So, running insanely roughly, I backed it into the driveway to fill the radiator . . . which seems to be leaking from the new water pump, but that's another thread . . .

thanks, folks.

And hopefully Mr. Google ranks this thread highly enough to save someone else the hours, fumes, and skin . . .

The Tassie Devil(le)

If you are running a sinterd bronze filter in the carby, it could be blocked.

The only way to test one of these is, I have found, to simply "huff" breath through it.   If the air doesn't freely flow through it, then it is blocked, and due for a replacement.

This filter is a last gasp method of filtering fuel, and in a lot of cases, mechanics omit these, and just rely on the filter in the fuel pump.

And, in a lot of cases, mechanics don't even realise that there is a filter in the Cadillac fuel pumps, as none of the Chevrolet lines have filters in their fuel pumps.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dochawk

It's a rippled paper with brass looking ends on mine, one of which has a hole.  I think it's a #3014.

Put the solid end pointed out in the carb, and it blocks the flow entirely . . .

hawk