News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2017 Grand National how to drive the DC Beltway - easy

Started by Scot Minesinger, June 15, 2017, 07:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

All CLC members attending GN 2017,

I made a video as requested to demonstrate the ease with which you may drive the DC beltway.  This road has a reputation, but it is really no issue and I have lived here for 34 years.  To view the video, go to the CLC Valley Forge Region website, click GN2017, and at top right click more, and the option to view the video should appear.  This cannot go on you-tube because I said my name.  Please tell anyone who is nervous about the beltway to watch it.  Also it shows a drive up to the hotel and around the parking lot at the end.  Total time 11 minutes.  Thanks for watching.

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Vince Taliano #13852

Great job, Scot.  Thanks!

Here is the hyperlink to the video:

http://www.vfrclc.org/documents_current/2017gn/video-car.mp4

Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

Scot Minesinger

From the North where you live drive down Rt 15S (or Rt 70E for Ohio and West PA) to 270S and get on the DC beltway in MD crossing into VA.  Once in VA stay in left Beltway lane and enter express lanes, it is first exit onto Jones Branch Rd, right at top of ramp down to JBR and left at that light, hotel is 1/10th mile on left.

From North (NJ, NY, Boston) from 95S, take it to DC beltway West, and when in VA get in left Beltway lane to enter express lanes.

I am not a take the back roads guy, usually always drive the highways, it is what our Cadillacs do best.

Planning is everything - arrive in DC no earlier than 10am and no later than 3pm, or face traffic headaches.  Alternatively arrive when it is dark outside.  Don't pull up at 6pm and complain about traffic, that is like complaining that you have turn the steering wheel to drive a car - a certainty.  Also get an Easy Pass!

Art Director

In the July issue of The Self-Starter, there will be instructions on how to get to the host hotel from all directions, including the two airports that serve Washington, D.C. There is also the Metro light rail that stops within a mile from the hotel, where you can call a hotel shuttle and they will come and get you.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Scot Minesinger

This shows actual driving on the DC beltway in a 1970 DVC with top down so people can get an idea of what to expect. 

harry s

Great video Scot. Looks like you were having fun.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Scot Minesinger