News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Just bought 1971 Eldorado convertible with 92245 original miles

Started by Cesar091665, May 30, 2017, 11:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cesar091665

I just got my hands on a 1971 Eldorado convertible, its in ok shape but need to go through everything. Car has no rust at all and body is straight minus some small dents! I'm sure I'm going to be here often picking on everyone brains to fix it.  :D
Thank you
RCC

Bill Young

Very happy for you. Please post some photos and details like a photo of the aluminum body plate on the firewall under the hood.

chrisntam

Congrats on the new addition and welcome!

Yes, pictures please!

And let the journey begin.........
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations on your purchase.

The next best purchase will be the Shop Manual, and the Fisher Body Service Manual.   You will be constantly reading both volumes.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

NORTHPORTGUY

Congratulations   I have one also and find this forum and the CLC membership a great investment  an very helpful.

Ken Wiebke

76eldo

WELCOME!

I am a big fan of these Eldorados.

Check out the Facebook group, "Big Eldorados"

It's for 71-78 Eldo owners.

Enjoy!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Caddyjack

Congratulations and welcome to the fun. the '71-'76 Eldorados are a special breed, for sure.
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Rich S

Congratulations! You have made a great selection and you will love it! My '71 Eldorado Convertible has been a fine collector car with a great ride, too.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Cesar091665

Here are some pics. of the my new car. These were taken at the time of purchase.
Thank you
RCC

Matt CLC#18621

Congrats!

I'm 30 years behind you, I just collected by 2001 Eldorado ESC in cashmere on May 30, 2017!

Matt CLC# 18621

Bill Young

Great ! , looks better than mine did when I bought it in October 2014.

chrisntam

Agree with Bruce on getting the shop manuals.  eBay is your friend, generally if $25 and under for each, is a good buy. 

I'm a green guy, love the color!  It'll look really good when you buff it / repaint it.

I also suggest you search eBay for parts as needed.  Set the search to something like 1971 eldorado and when items come up that you need, I suggest you buy them.  Search "sold" and "completed" listings for price history.  Do be aware there are some sellers that have the stuff you need, but they charge 4 times the price and their stuff never sells.

Did I tell you I like the color?

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looks very close to the colour of my '72 Eldorado.   Firemist Green.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cesar091665

Thanks for all the advice. I did order a shop manual from ebay, found it for $16.99 with free shipping.
Need to replace power steering pump due to big leak. Local napa store has it for $55 with the reservoir.
Let the fun begin!  ;D
Thank you
RCC

dochawk

It's in much better shape than my '72 . . . (but my miles are lower :P)

Enjoy.
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Carl Fielding

Well , Rick , to make you feel better , my '71 which was totalled BEFORE driving it all over Baja and Mexico many times , makes yours look like a show car by comparison. It now has way more miles than RCC's , and if I live long enough to have another G.N. close enough to home , I will show and tell there. It ought to be a real "hit" in modified class. Have you ever heard a 514 with '74 HEI bark to life through a pair of balanced Flowmasters ? It is in a way like the '27 exploding on startup through the glasspacks. Remember ? I hope I can find my pics of it before and during Mexico. When I get back from my imminent trip to 'Vegas (very short one - just moving the '27 to Dick and Kay's 55 car underground garage. Dick just had successful heart surgery & their 56th anniversary !) , I will get pics of its current status. RCC , to give you even greater pride of ownership , '71 is the only year Cadillac put a long duration camshaft in a low compression Big Block ! Now THAT piece of trivia ought to leave 'em all speachless ! Change your oil to Amsoil Z-Rod full synthetic. It comes in 10W/30 , and 20W/50. A blend of half and half would give you 15W/40 , just about exactly , precisely right for that mill. Nothing too good for our 'Lacs , right ? These are among the greatest cars ever built. I have done things with mine that would have left mere mortal machines either eating my dust , or scrapped by the side of the road. The only part of the car flies land on is the necessarily complicated top. So be it. Welcome to the wonderful world of big FWD El.D's !   - Cadillac Carl