News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 62 series sheet metal?

Started by 55hooptie, May 31, 2017, 12:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55hooptie

What do they call the pieces of sheet metal that cover the wires at the door sills? Is it called an inner rocker panel or something else?  I'm trying to figure out if they are available or if I need to bend these up myself.  Thanks!

TMoore - NTCLC

You may be talking about the "sill plates" - the silver panels just under the door at the edge of the carpets.  There are some companies that reproduce these, but I am not sure what is available for the 1955 models.

If you are looking for something different, please elaborate and I am sure someone will chime in with better information.

55hooptie

TMoore,
     No, not the sill plates. I am repairing the floor pans and these are sheet metal strips that screw down to the floor pan with 3 screws to cover the wiring to the rear of the car. The sill plates partially cover them. I will see if I can't get a picture of the rotted piece. Thanks!

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I know what you are referring to.  Mine were like swiss cheese and I had
to have two fabricated.  They are a rather simple and non critical piece
(they hide under the carpet) so nobody would see them.

Any competent shop should be able to bend two up for you if you don't
have access to a sheet metal brake.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Roger Zimmermann

If I'm right, those parts are called: Support, floor carpet, at dise of scuff plate. I doubt that they are reproduced. As Mike wrote, they are easy to duplicate.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

55hooptie

Thanks guys,
I will bend them up. I was building another car a few years ago and made some small pieces with compound bends which took quite a while. After the car was done I found the stamped pieces for $13 bucks each. (Lesson learned.) I just wanted to check before I started building them but I didn't know what to look for. The only problem I see is getting the screw stands tacked in the right place for the sill plates.  Thanks again!