News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Block Needed ('57 or '58 Would Be OK)

Started by Jay Friedman, May 31, 2017, 08:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Friedman

A friend's '56 has a cracked block.  The rest of the engine is fine.  Any leads as to where a good block could be found would be appreciated.  A '57 or '58 block would work too.  Car is in Georgia, so a block located in the south-eastern US would be best.

jaysfriedman@yahoo.com   404-633-7418
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

V63

A block can be 'cold welded' depending on where the crack is. It's a machining process where small iron threaded plugs are 'stitched' along the crack.

I have a 1958 block in southern Arkansas. A benefit there is a lip style (not rope) rear main (later 1958 versions) . Bad news is it's the assembled short block, and it is stuck. It was from a fairly low mile fleetwood I'm parting out, but heavy body rust got it...If you can't find any better options please advise.

If it were me...I would specifically seek a 1958 block with the lip seal technology, as the quality of rope seals available today are poor to useless.

Jay Friedman

V63,

Thanks for your reply.  As soon as I saw it I called my friend about your motor and he replied that just a few minutes before I called he located a '56 block here in Georgia which he'll buy if it checks out OK.  He said he'd keep yours in mind in case it turns out to be unusable.

As for your evaluation of rope seals I totally agree.  However, a modern neoprene lip seal can be bought and installed in pre-'58 Cadillacs.  In fact, I helped a friend install one in his '51 this past weekend.  (See my posting in the Technical forum.)
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

V63

Great news! I have installed a lip seal replacement in a 57 block. Visually, I wasn't impressed to the quality of that of a lip seal for 58 up.  I'd feel more comfortable with testimonials I guess.