News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What do you guys use for Oil Pressure Gauge Line/Tube for a Flathead

Started by tripwire, June 04, 2017, 09:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tripwire

I was under the dash on my '40 Lasalle and noticed my oil pressure gauge line was broken near where it attaches to the gauge.  It is apparently clogged otherwise I would have had a mess.  The pipe appears to be steel with wire wrapping.  Is this type of tube still available or do I go to copper or some other material to replace this?

WParo in VT 
Driving now:
2023 XT4 Luxury
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

Fred Pennington 25635

The original line should have been copper.
The wire is to protect the line from chaffing.
Most new gauges come with plastic.
Allot of people change them out so check with your local race car parts house or NAPA for replacement line kits.
They will sell them for modern gauge, most likely be steel with wire wrap.
They usually sell the the copper without the wrap.

Good luck
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Paul Phillips

The original is soft copper, I am remembering 1/16 ID as the size. If you still have the ends for the gauge and the engine fittings, it is fairly easy to desolder the copper tube and solder in a replacement. Period electrical sheathing is used to prevent this capillary from rubbing other items under the dash.

Good luck with the repair.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

As it was plugged I would suggest you flush the remaining line before you reinstall.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Tom Beaver

Search for copper capillary tubing on ebay you will find a number of listings.  Just make sure that you pick a size that will fit your existing end fittings and when you solder them on be careful that you don't plug the tubing with solder.

Tom Beaver

tripwire

Thanks Guys for the responses.  I appreciate all the advice. 
The tube appears to be original and it will attract a magnet so it's my belief that it is steel.  It looks old which leads me to believe it may be original. But maybe it's not.  Anyway.  I'll find some copper line and wrap it with some soft wire, like mechanic's wire and then paint it black to match what's there now.  I'm sure it will be a fun time in the old town.

WParo in VT
Driving now:
2023 XT4 Luxury
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

31caddy

If you elect to use copper, Advance Auto Parts sells a copper line kit, 6 ft long, with assorted fittings included. I've bought them there myself. It is branded as Bosch. They usually have some on the rack, if not they will get it for you quickly.
R. Rowland CLC #28971

1931 Model 355A Sedan (Recently sold)
1931 Model 355A Fleetwood 4535 Convertible Coupe
2005 Cadillac XLR

Bobby B

Quote from: Paul Phillips on June 05, 2017, 08:59:47 PM
The original is soft copper, I am remembering 1/16 ID as the size. If you still have the ends for the gauge and the engine fittings, it is fairly easy to desolder the copper tube and solder in a replacement. Period electrical sheathing is used to prevent this capillary from rubbing other items under the dash.

Good luck with the repair.

Paul

Good advice. If I remember correctly, the fittings are an oddball size. I took mine apart, desoldered, cleaned, and re-soldered everything back. Works perfectly..... ;)
                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

bcroe

I consider running engine fluids to a gauge, an invitation to losing all of a critical
fluid.  Not to mention the mess and hazard.  So only electric gauges with senders
at the engine are used here.  Bruce Roe