News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938 Series 60 Oil Filter

Started by rvc_51, June 05, 2017, 02:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvc_51

Greetings.  I own a 1938 Series 60.  My 1937/38 Service Manual shows an 'Engine Oiling System' diagram (page 88) that includes an oil filter.  Was an oil filter available for my Series 60 in 1938?  Would anyone have any information regarding the correct filter assembly?  Does anyone know of one available/for sale?  Thanks.

Steve Passmore

I 37 there was something the factory offered and there were many different ones fitted by dealers as after market, I have several of these but they were never very good. They were only slight bypass filters and only cleaned a very small amount of the oil and even Cadillac stopped fitting them in 38 unless it was asked for. I remove them every time and change the oil regularly.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

rvc_51

Thanks for the reply Steve.   Would the 1937 factory oil filter assembly be the same assembly used in 1938?  Thanks.

Tom Beaver

As Steve indicated, the factory only offered oil filters in 1937.  The factory filter was a steel disposable canister which mounted in a bracket attached to two bolts on the front cover, under the fuel pump.  I don't believe that replacement filter canisters have been made for years.  I have a used one, which I copied to make a shell that accepts a modern spin-on filter and will fit in the original mounting bracket.  I use it on my 38 LaSalle.  But as Steve said they are only a bypass filter and treat only the oil supply to the hydraulic lifters.

Tom Beaver

Warren Rauch #4286

The Cadillac -La Salle Service man from Oct 1,1937,introduction of 1938 models. Page 38 on v-8 engines. " A flexible oil level indicator plug is now used and the use of oil filters has been discontinued on all engines" ( whats this plug?)
  Then from 1938 page 23,the Factory  states that they do not object to bypass filters that are installed their way. But as stated by others they make it useless. Replace a plug in the oil header with a fitting that has been filled with lead and a 1/16" hole drilled in it for your supply oil . The return line will require drilling a hole in either oil filler tube  or pan, please remove from car for this  operation. In a 1941 update the return line could be to a hollow bolt in timing cover.
   The factory seemed to be worried that the lifters could deprived of oil if too much went to a filter.
Warren