News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado clogged cat

Started by 7gen, June 05, 2017, 08:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7gen

How can you tell your cat is clogged?

By the roundish scorch mark on the front passenger carpet. Where the white hot cat has burned things. Not just melted the carpet. Burned it.

I had a heavy rubber-backed mat over the original carpet which kept me from noticing the scorch mark but also may have starved the process of oxygen so no fire. Very scary.

I'm guessing some long hard pulls up some mountains dumped enough fuel through the system to clog the cat, which was original to the car.

Any experience with after market cats out there?

bcroe

Your one-fits-all original cat is entirely inadequate for a 500 engine.  At minimum
you could use a 3" monolithic replacement cat, which is smaller, less restrictive,
and legal.  And 3" pipes.  Better would dual 2.5" (with cross over pipe), but not
legal if you have inspection.  These have served me well for decades.  Probably
dual 3" would produce a measurable additional improvement.  Bruce Roe

V63

I have an OEM rust free original one that's 2.5" for $50